Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT - how did you get your job?

OT - how did you get your job?

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:13 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light
Default OT - how did you get your job?

Looks like some immigrants truly believe they're coming to the land of milk and honey, when in reality, the ones who already got here are facing huge unemployment and lack of opportunity to prove themselves.
Finding a job is not easy, and if you do find it, sometimes it's well beneath even modest expectations... and you have to take it because at least it's a paycheck...

I'm just curious, how did you actually get the job, if you're already employed... was it:

a- networking -
you knew someone who got you the interview/job, who was already in the company, or who knew someone who could help you, maybe family, friend or even your spouse?

b- transfering -
did you get a similar position in a sister company of your old workplace, maybe a branch or franchise, and you just transfered?

c- newspaper or web ad, employment agency -
all on your own legwork, submitting applications, resumes and cover letters to any employment opportunity found on job search engines and advertisements?

I'm also curious: did you get a similar position to the one you used to have in your own country, did you find something better, or did you have to settle for a lower wage and lower position or even a completely different job altogether?
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 6:58 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT - how did you get your job?

Originally posted by bequibar
a- networking -
you knew someone who got you the interview/job, who was already in the company, or who knew someone who could help you, maybe family, friend or even your spouse?
I got a job at my spouse's work.

I'm also curious: did you get a similar position to the one you used to have in your own country, did you find something better, or did you have to settle for a lower wage and lower position or even a completely different job altogether?
I never had a job before, so I guess I can't answer that. But it definitely wasn't the field I was looking into, and it's not one that I'm planning on staying in. It's paying way too little for the fact that I have a degree. It's just a temp job anyway. I just happened to get my work authorization when my husband's boss desperatly asked for some help to finish off a project. I decided to take it because
1) I'm not expecting to find a real job any time soon.
2) I hang out at my husband's work all day anyway, so I may as well make a few extra dollars to contribute to the household.
3) It gives me something to do until I find a real job.
4) It's a job I can list on my resume (since I've never had a job before).
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:08 pm
foxy little minx

bequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of lightbequibar is a glorious beacon of light

I actually wrote this with you in mind, I remember you posting about this asking if you could take this before getting your hands on your ead even though it was already approved...

I haven't been able to find publishing houses or editing jobs here, I'd have to move to New York.

It looks like I'm going to have to let go of that industry and adopt a new one, and so far it looks like I'll also have to settle for some sort of internship or even assistant job before working my way up in a new industry I have no experience in.

It also looks like my own legwork isn't getting me anywhere, and neither has relying on my old company. Their sister branch is in Miami, of all places. I guess if I'm to be seriously considered for anything it'll have to be networking and I kinda hate asking people for favours... but if that's what it takes...
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:20 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind me butting in, I can offer a little insight. I've worked for years (off and on) in human resources. I think that temp/employment agencies are the best bet for people with "issues". In your case what I mean by "issues" is that you have no employment history in the U.S. (and all the baggage that comes with that). When you go through an agency, they have a vested interest in placing you somewhere. IOW, they only make money if you get a job. Also, an employer will be more likely to take a chance on you while the agency is in effect "responsible" for you.

I know you're bilingual, so really play that part up also. In today's market that really helps.

Networking is really the best way to find a position. But if you don't have any friends or family that can help you right now, just get out there and start doing something. The people you will meet along the way will be the ones that you will eventually be "networking" with.

Good luck.

Leslie

Looks like some immigrants truly believe they're coming to the land of milk and honey, when in reality, the ones who already got here are facing huge unemployment and lack of opportunity to prove themselves.
Finding a job is not easy, and if you do find it, sometimes it's well beneath even modest expectations... and you have to take it because at least it's a paycheck...

I'm just curious, how did you actually get the job, if you're already employed... was it:

a- networking -

b- transfering -
did you get a similar position in a sister company of your old workplace, maybe a branch or franchise, and you just transfered?

c- newspaper or web ad, employment agency -
all on your own legwork, submitting applications, resumes and cover letters to any employment opportunity found on job search engines and advertisements?

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

optimist is an unknown quantity at this point

very interesting topic.....

my previous work experience doesn't help me too much . i've been a radio DJ for the last 11 years and i've worked as customer care/ inside sale representative for a mobile phone company for 3 years...my BDegree is in Romanian literature with a minor in ESL but haven't practiced.... i don't even dare to dream to be a radio dj here in america.... i'll apply for the ead in the next weeks and the I94 empl authorized form expires on april the 20th... being here for a month already and searching for the job ads over the internet and the newspapers doesn't help a lot.... but i'm still searching..still being optimistic about it

Gabriel

BEE & GABI
1 NOA TSC 06/06
2 NOA TSC 10/31
NVC LETTER - arrived 11/07 - dated 11/03
ARRIVED AT BUCHAREST, US EMBASSY IN ROMANIA - 11/10
EMBASSY SEND PACKAGE 3 -11/17
PACKAGE 3 RECEIVED AND SEND BACK ON 11/19
EMBASSY RECEIVED PACKAGE 3 - 11/24
MEDICAL EXAM - 12/17
VISA INTERVIEW - 12/18
K1 VISA ISSUED - 12/18
USA ARRIVAL - 01/21 (POE HOUSTON)- I94 handwriten-Employment authorized
APPLIED for SSN - 01/26 - not in the system yet
WEDDING DAY - 02/14
RECEIVED SSN CARD - 02/21
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:24 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you guys mean with adopting a new thing. I have my degree in photography, and even though I don't really know where I'd like to take this yet, I do know that there doesn't seem to be that much photo-related work out there. The searches I've done online haven't been very helpful at all. The closest I pretty much found is being a photographer for Six Flags for $7/hour, hahaha. Yeah right! So I'm also sort of looking into TV-related things (thanks to Sibsie sort of pointing me into that direction), but I also don't know how successful that route could be.
And even if there were any jobs that would sound appealing they usually require 3+ years experience, which I don't have. Either that or else you have to drop to something that only requires a High School diploma. *sigh*
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 8:51 pm
Mtravelkay

Steffi wrote:

> I know what you guys mean with adopting a new thing. I have my degree in
    > photography,

There are degrees in that?

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:07 pm
K1 via London

Originally posted by Mtravelkay
Steffi wrote:

> I know what you guys mean with adopting a new thing. I have my degree in
    > photography,

There are degrees in that?
Yes. :-P
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

After spending a long time sending out resumes I eventually cracked and decided that any job was better than no job so I called in at every hotel and supermarket etc in the area. the worst ones are those with computerised application centres, they dont allow for non-US citizens qualifications etc. I got the job at the hotel the same day as I applied. They asked when I could start, I said "tomorrow?" and that was it ... 6am the next day there I was.

Jan
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
After spending a long time sending out resumes I eventually cracked and decided that any job was better than no job so I called in at every hotel and supermarket etc in the area. the worst ones are those with computerised application centres, they dont allow for non-US citizens qualifications etc. I got the job at the hotel the same day as I applied. They asked when I could start, I said "tomorrow?" and that was it ... 6am the next day there I was.

Jan
Exactly. Even though it may not be your cup of tea, it is always better to look for a job when you already have a job.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:19 pm
Exile

"mtravelkay" wrote:
    > There are degrees in that?

There are degrees in anything.
From what I've seen, a degree in basket weaving would stand me in better
stead for an IT job than my 15 years experience ;-)

Steffi, if I were you I would consider trying something on your own while
you have all this time at your disposal.
If it takes off then great. If not, then what have you lost?

Photography sounds like quite a portable skill and graphical skills are
alway in demand in the IT area.
For instance, I can write some clever code to make a technically brilliant
web page, but it's the graphics that attract people at the end of the day.

How about taking some shots of your surrounding area and trying to sell them
to locals online?
You could put your images on products at http://www.cafepress.com and sell
items for no investment.

Additionally, I'd consider approaching businesses such as newspapers and
website companies in the area to see if they'll commission work from you
even if they have no full time positions available.

All ideas which you may have tried already.

Best of luck,

Andy

Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:47 pm
foxy little minx

Thanks Leslie. Actually my husband suggested the temp agency too, so I will go see what they're about...
Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Leslie. Actually my husband suggested the temp agency too, so I will go see what they're about...
My husband's first job was through a temp agency, but it was long term temp, about 13 months. My present job is permanent, but actually originated from a temp assignment.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:09 pm
foxy little minx

Oh! That actually comforts me.

I thought temp agencies offered crass temp jobs like recepcionist or secretary, I was bracing myself to be asked to come in with a miniskirt, lol
Old Feb 24th 2004, 8:24 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Leslie66
If you don't mind me butting in, I can offer a little insight. I've worked for years (off and on) in human resources. I think that temp/employment agencies are the best bet for people with "issues". In your case what I mean by "issues" is that you have no employment history in the U.S. (and all the baggage that comes with that). When you go through an agency, they have a vested interest in placing you somewhere. IOW, they only make money if you get a job. Also, an employer will be more likely to take a chance on you while the agency is in effect "responsible" for you.

Leslie
I totally agree with this. As long as you can provide legal status, they really aren't as picky as a lot of employers, and give you the benefit of the doubt. I worked for a few agencies, doing days here and there, and then twice long term. The first time, it led to a permanent position, but the company down-sized not long after, so I got laid off. The second time, another agency sent my resume out, I got the job, worked for the agency for the necessary 3 months, and then I was offered a permanent job. The two agencies I worked long term for were excellent. They tried their hardest to get me working, and I never had a problems with pay or hours, etc.

Kate. xxxxxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.