Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Happy Canada Day

Wikiposts

OT: Happy Canada Day

Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT: Happy Canada Day

To all our Canadian users, Jim and I wish you a festive and grand Canada Day.

May your BBQ's stay lighted, your food be plentiful, your fireworks illuminating and your hangover nonexistent.

Oh! Canada

Jim and Rita
Can/Am Alumni '98
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:16 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT: Happy Canada Day

Originally posted by Rete

May your BBQ's stay lighted, your food be plentiful, your fireworks illuminating and your hangover nonexistent.

Oh! Canada

Jim and Rita
Can/Am Alumni '98
Happy Canada Day, EH!

Juliet (married to a Canadian, eh)
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Rete! What with the oath ceremony last week and preparations for July 4th this weekend, I'd all but forgotten that today is Canada Day. And, I understand there's a liberal minority government in Canada now. I clearly remember Joe (who?) Clark facing the same situation in 1979. His proposed $0.18 tax on gas did him in. Funny thing... when Trudeau regained control of parliament he ended up raising the gas tax more than $0.18 - of course, it was over a one year period. Ah, happier times!

Ian
Old Jul 1st 2004, 6:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ian-mstm
Many thanks Rete! What with the oath ceremony last week and preparations for July 4th this weekend, I'd all but forgotten that today is Canada Day. And, I understand there's a liberal minority government in Canada now. I clearly remember Joe (who?) Clark facing the same situation in 1979. His proposed $0.18 tax on gas did him in. Funny thing... when Trudeau regained control of parliament he ended up raising the gas tax more than $0.18 - of course, it was over a one year period. Ah, happier times!

Ian

And he also had a large gas station chain, Petro (think that is the name) ;-) So the man and his family did well, I would think.

Jim watched the elections with interest and I was surprised to see that many US living Canadians didn't even know there was an election.

Enjoy your holiday(s).

Rita
Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:03 am
Gin
Forum Regular

Gin is just really niceGin is just really niceGin is just really niceGin is just really niceGin is just really niceGin is just really niceGin is just really niceGin is just really niceGin is just really niceGin is just really nice

I too am married to a Canadian.. I totally missed the elections until Hubby mentioned it the other night and had forgotten today was Canada Day...

Would have put a maple leaf sticker on our Daughters dress. But then I just barely got her dressed and out the door for day care so I could make it to work on time..... (she's three).

Happy Canada Day!

Don't think the water in the lake has gotten warm enough for this southern gal though. Seems like it was just yesterday he was able to drive up to his Sawmill because the snow had finally melted.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Jim watched the elections with interest and I was surprised to see that many US living Canadians didn't even know there was an election.
About a week or so prior to the election I checked online and discovered I wasn't eligible to vote. I had always assumed (aye, there's the problem) that, as a Canadian citizen, I could vote in any Canadian election - well... I was wrong. It's not enough to be a citizen, you actually have to live there - or, at least, maintain a presence there! Go figure!

Ian
Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:59 am
Concierge

Originally posted by ian-mstm
About a week or so prior to the election I checked online and discovered I wasn't eligible to vote. I had always assumed (aye, there's the problem) that, as a Canadian citizen, I could vote in any Canadian election - well... I was wrong. It's not enough to be a citizen, you actually have to live there - or, at least, maintain a presence there! Go figure!

Ian

Or if you are out of the country for under five years have to give them a set date when you will be resuming residency.

Jim checked it all out too.

Rete
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I still cant get over the fact that good old Jean isn't Prime Minister anymore. I'm young enough that he's been in charge ever since I was really interested in anything politically related - or at least old enough to vote!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:20 pm
Concierge

Originally posted by andrea874
I still cant get over the fact that good old Jean isn't Prime Minister anymore. I'm young enough that he's been in charge ever since I was really interested in anything politically related - or at least old enough to vote!

I have to ask were you a fan of his and his government?
Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to ask were you a fan of his and his government?
Well, I didn't mind him. He made some stupid decisions, but overall I don't think he was bad. Although, I must say, he was much better near the beginning of his term than he was for the past few years.

I think he was a lot better than the new Prime Minister, who - by some of his recent actions - appears to have completely lost his marbels.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

mcface is an unknown quantity at this point

I did indeed have a good Canada Day, thanks for the wish. I spent most of it getting ready to head to Pennsylvania once again to visit my dearest Jessica. It's so nice to be able to watch the fireworks in Canada, then hop on a bus tomorrow morning and be able to watch the Independence Day fireworks with the love of my life.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:36 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcface
I did indeed have a good Canada Day, thanks for the wish. I spent most of it getting ready to head to Pennsylvania once again to visit my dearest Jessica. It's so nice to be able to watch the fireworks in Canada, then hop on a bus tomorrow morning and be able to watch the Independence Day fireworks with the love of my life.
How sweet!! Have fun!!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:59 pm
Boise, ID

katie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant future

Gotta add in my HAPPY CANADA DAY, you Canuckleheads! :-) Just got back from an awesome bbq (but no fireworks!)...hopefully the hangover won't be too bad, since I have to work at 8am...*sigh*

~Katie (a true Canucklehead...from Vancouver, even!)
Old Jul 1st 2004, 9:17 pm
Laurence

"Rete" <member167@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by ian-mstm
    > > Many thanks Rete! What
    > with the oath ceremony last week and preparations for July 4th this
    > weekend, I'd all but forgotten that today is Canada Day. And, I
    > understand there's a liberal minority government in Canada now. I
    > clearly remember Joe (who?) Clark facing the same situation in 1979. His
    > proposed $0.18 tax on gas did him in. Funny thing... when Trudeau
    > regained control of parliament he ended up raising the gas tax more than
    > $0.18 - of course, it was over a one year period. Ah, happier times!
    > >
    > > Ian
    > And he also had a large gas station chain, Petro
    > (think that is the name) ;-) So the man and his family did well, I would
    > think.
    > Jim watched the elections with interest and I was surprised to
    > see that many US living Canadians didn't even know there was an
    > election.
    > Enjoy your holiday(s).
    > Rita

PETRO Canada = Pierre Eliot Trudeau Rips Off Canada. Was a big joke at the
time, not that I was old enough to remember it. Originally was a Crown
corporation, not owned by Trudeau but by the federal government. It's been
mostly privatized now, I think.

Old Jul 1st 2004, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Laurence
"Rete" <member167@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by ian-mstm
    > > Many thanks Rete! What
    > with the oath ceremony last week and preparations for July 4th this
    > weekend, I'd all but forgotten that today is Canada Day. And, I
    > understand there's a liberal minority government in Canada now. I
    > clearly remember Joe (who?) Clark facing the same situation in 1979. His
    > proposed $0.18 tax on gas did him in. Funny thing... when Trudeau
    > regained control of parliament he ended up raising the gas tax more than
    > $0.18 - of course, it was over a one year period. Ah, happier times!
    > >
    > > Ian
    > And he also had a large gas station chain, Petro
    > (think that is the name) ;-) So the man and his family did well, I would
    > think.
    > Jim watched the elections with interest and I was surprised to
    > see that many US living Canadians didn't even know there was an
    > election.
    > Enjoy your holiday(s).
    > Rita

PETRO Canada = Pierre Eliot Trudeau Rips Off Canada. Was a big joke at the
time, not that I was old enough to remember it. Originally was a Crown
corporation, not owned by Trudeau but by the federal government. It's been
mostly privatized now, I think.

Its owned by a US company now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.