Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Good personal experience website hosting?

OT: Good personal experience website hosting?

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

ccalgreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT: Good personal experience website hosting?

Kate and I have been running our site for about 9 months now, at http://k1fun.envy.nu . This was fine as a free host (I particularly liked their javascript file manager) for developing the site, but now we want a host that's more responsive to our needs.

For example, the other day I made a change to the style sheet, but it took more than 24 hours for the site to reflect that, even though it showed the new .css file as being on the server.

Other things we want to get rid of include the perenial favourites of banners and popups, especially because this means the host inserting code into our pages. I tried to make the site as simple as possible so that it could be viewed by as many people as possible (and also because I'm not an IT person myself), so I wrote it in xhtml, and it was frustrating to spend so much time following the w3c guidelines only for the host to mess it up with sloppily written and deprecated code.

Anyway, ideally we'd want to find someone who's hosting their own K Visa site and wouldn't mind lending us a miniscule piece of their server space for the no more than the love of helping similar people out. Failing that, we wouldn't mind paying a small nominal annual fee to secure our place on the web and get our message out as best we can.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Cheers,

CLEM
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 8:12 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT: Good personal experience website hosting?

Originally posted by ccalgreen
Kate and I have been running our site for about 9 months now, at http://k1fun.envy.nu . This was fine as a free host (I particularly liked their javascript file manager) for developing the site, but now we want a host that's more responsive to our needs.

For example, the other day I made a change to the style sheet, but it took more than 24 hours for the site to reflect that, even though it showed the new .css file as being on the server.

Other things we want to get rid of include the perenial favourites of banners and popups, especially because this means the host inserting code into our pages. I tried to make the site as simple as possible so that it could be viewed by as many people as possible (and also because I'm not an IT person myself), so I wrote it in xhtml, and it was frustrating to spend so much time following the w3c guidelines only for the host to mess it up with sloppily written and deprecated code.

Anyway, ideally we'd want to find someone who's hosting their own K Visa site and wouldn't mind lending us a miniscule piece of their server space for the no more than the love of helping similar people out. Failing that, we wouldn't mind paying a small nominal annual fee to secure our place on the web and get our message out as best we can.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Cheers,

CLEM
Basically you want a new host? My husband and I both have websites at this place called http://www.bizsuite.com/ It may look kind of ghetto and stuff, but it's really cheap (like $10 to register and address and $25 to host for one year) and neither my husband or I have ever had any problems with them.