Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: FSU what does it mean

OT: FSU what does it mean

Old Aug 28th 2001, 2:06 am
Jessie Helms

I know this is a small thing to some but for others it is even smaller. So I speak
for only myself in that I object to the use of (FSU) in place the name Russia or any
other Country that belonged to the Soviet Union. Maybe we should call Hong Kong ***
(Formerly United Kingdom) or America FIT (Formerly Indian Territory). So I ask that
people call the Country by its name so others will know exactly which Country you are
talking about since there were a few Countries in Soviet Union and Leave the
abberviation FSU to Florida State University. Jessie

Old Aug 28th 2001, 3:21 am
Michael Voight

Sure, Senator Helms..

Seriously, if we are talking about something that affect a single country, then we
refer to it by name. However, there are issues that are common to all or nearly all
of the countries of the Soviet Union, and therefore they are commonly called FSU..
How do you suggest we refer to these countries collectively?? If I was referring to
more than one state in relationship to a former status, I would say FCSA.

We abbreviate things in newsgroups. I am not going to write the names of all the
countries that are FSU when I want to refer of their similarities any more than
I would refer to each country in Asia by name if I was referring to things
common in Asia..

Michael

Jessie Helms wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 28th 2001, 3:34 am
Vicki

How about the UFFR? Union of Fewer and Fewer Republics?

Jessie Helms wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 28th 2001, 3:55 am
Michael Voight

CCCP Closed Captioning for the Communist Party.

Old Aug 28th 2001, 12:06 pm
Jessie Helms

"javaranger" <[email protected]>

[usenetquote2]> > I know this is a small thing to some but for others it is even smaller. So I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > speak for only myself in that I object to the use of (FSU) in place the name[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Russia or any other Country that belonged to the Soviet Union.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
Do you need some Cheese with that whine?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
Everytime I have seen it used it was used to refer to Russia.
    >
    >
    >
1 spelling error (abbreviation) all my caps. were correct except the word country and
there I was trying to highlight something. I do find that people who try to change
the subject have nothing intelligent to add to the orginal statement, so if you have
nothing to add to solve a problem then you are the problem. Jessie

Old Aug 29th 2001, 12:35 am
Michael Voight

Jessie Helms wrote:
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > > I know this is a small thing to some but for others it is even smaller. So I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > speak for only myself in that I object to the use of (FSU) in place the name[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Russia or any other Country that belonged to the Soviet Union.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Waaaah.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Excuse us.. You are the one who was whining about the term "FSU"...

[usenetquote2]> > FSU is a completely appropriate acronym for a completely appropriate term, that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > being Former Soviet Union. I don't use it in place of "Russia" or "Ukraine," but[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > there are times when what is being discussed is exactly that: the Former Soviet[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Union.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Well, then you are wrong... It is used to refer to ALL of the former Soviet Union.

You just bounce into this newsgroup and then demand things your way... Why??

Old Aug 29th 2001, 12:48 am
Michael Voight

Jessie Helms wrote:
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > > > FSU is a completely appropriate acronym for a completely appropriate[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > term,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > that being Former Soviet Union. I don't use it in place of "Russia" or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > "Ukraine," but there are times when what is being discussed is exactly[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > > the Former Soviet Union.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Everytime I have seen it used it was used to refer to Russia.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Since I used the term in a post recently, I decided to do a search. I used FSU in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > a post on 8/27, where I was indeed referring to the FSU, and not just Russia.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The most recent use of FSU prior to that was Michael Voight, on 8/23. He also[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > used it appropriately.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Paulgani[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >

The VISA problem for Ukraine (it is not "The Ukraine, ask the consulate), is a FSU
issue.... It applies to the FSU in general... This is EXACTLY why I used this term.

Old Aug 29th 2001, 1:30 am
Jessie Helms

Alvena Ferreira <[email protected]>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I like that one but maybe in keeping with group thoughts on this maybe FUSSR[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > would work or just FUSS[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

No FUSS on my part I just made a statement that I don't care for the term FSU since
to me it means Florida State University not former soviet union. a few gave good
reason as Paul and Mike but others who have no clue as to how to disagree with out
getting personal butted in and showed their Arse. Personally I see Russia and many of
the other republic's as part of Asia and others as part of Eastern Europe. Jessie

Old Aug 29th 2001, 11:50 am
Jessie Helms

Michael Voight <[email protected]>

>
So eveeryone can understand what you are talking about
    >
It is just pride thing, how do you feel about the college you graduated from?
    >
You gave a good one plus in the true abbreviation would be FSUR
    >
For the most part yes since people deal with only one country not the whole group. I
know there are many similarities but most of those can be attributed to many other
countries as well so by the use of FSU or whatever you are disfranchising the other
countries.

Old Aug 29th 2001, 11:53 am
Jessie Helms

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Why would I have a picture of your ass and why would you want me to email it to you?
If you really want a picture of an Ass I can send you a picture of G.W.

Old Aug 29th 2001, 12:00 pm
Jessie Helms

>

I didn't just Bounce into this group, I have been here for over two years under many
different names. Also I did not demand anything I only brought up a concern and up to
now you and Paul have given good arguement againest it so why go on the personal
attack now? Did I push some personal button on you? If so I apologize if not then
please stick to the subject.

Old Aug 29th 2001, 12:05 pm
Jessie Helms

>
I have put on a few pounds since my wife arrived so I guess I am getting a
little hippy

[usenetquote2]> > As for your typing I think you need to take your thumb out of your ass and use[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > two fingers to type.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
That is fine with me if you want to sit on it and rotate.
    >
[usenetquote2]> > As for being politically correct that is one thing I have never been accused of,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > when I see a jackass I call it a jAvArAnGeR.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
Just the term FSU
    >
    >
Peace to you too and may the bird of paradise fly........

Old Aug 29th 2001, 12:39 pm
Grinch

>
    >

GW? What does that mean?

Grinch's Willy?

Grinch

Old Aug 29th 2001, 1:47 pm
Javaranger

You want to send me a picture of George Washington University? What's with you
and colleges?

If you really want a picture of an Ass I can send you
    >

Old Aug 30th 2001, 1:26 am
Jessie Helms

"paulgani" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > > Why does an abbreviation have to only mean one thing??[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > > Why are you so concerned about FSU to mean countries of the former Soviet[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Union?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > It is just pride thing, how do you feel about the college you graduated from?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

It does give pause for thought so she could be an FSUCR1FSUER while waiting for her
AOS but my mate is a FCC and now a FCCer<USCR1
    >
    >

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.