Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT - Discussion Group for US women married to UK men

OT - Discussion Group for US women married to UK men

Old May 19th 2003, 4:44 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I meant that Tetley was British as in a British company (It was founded in Yorkshire, England in 1837) when originally established anyway. Nowadays it's owned by Tata Tea - an Indian company...

Last edited by lairdside; May 19th 2003 at 4:46 pm.
Old May 20th 2003, 1:25 am
July

Default Re: OT - Discussion Group for US women married to UK men

meauxna wrote in message news:...
    >
    > I 'd like to visit, but I find the yahoo format so hard to deal with.
    > Ever thought about an easyboard or similar?

It is a pain, a lot of the time. I've never tried easyboard... think
I'll do a search and have a look.

I'm on a couple of groups at myfamily.com - but I think that's more
trouble than yahoo!

July

Old May 20th 2003, 1:28 am
July

Default Tea and Chocolate was:OT - Discussion Group for US women married to UK men

Rete wrote in message news:...
    >> I have to laugh at lairdside. Tetley is not British at least here
in
    > the States. Although I noted that our market is now selling a British
    > blend of tea and I bought some for Jim and he thought "wow they are
    > round bags without the string, so must be good." He had one cup and
    > won't touch it again ;-)

I learned the same lesson with chocolate - for whatever reason a
KitKat is not the same.

Good thing we can get a decent selection of English choccies in
Houston, or else my hubby might just have moved back....lol.

July (who does not really 'get' the difference, but whatever makes him
happy)

Old May 20th 2003, 1:29 am
July

Careybear wrote in message news:...
    >
    > I might have to join your group july even though I already have a yahoo
    > discussion group for uk/us couples in the midwest...hee hee

Your more than welcome to come check us out.... we won't be offended
if ya don't stay :-)

July

Old May 20th 2003, 1:59 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

What about US/UK couples where the wife is UK and the husband US. Can they join?
Old May 20th 2003, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BeachBunny
I've been searching everywhere for an electric kettle!! I want to give it to my DH as a welcome home present... where did you find yours??
We have a Bodum kettle at Target, but you can find kettles as stated in other posts at Target, Walmart etc.

Here are two links for kettles (we have links like this on our bits n bobs pages http://www.britsintheus.com/bitsnbobs.htm.)

Bodum
http://www.bodum.com

Superior Electrics out of Canada
http://superiorcanada.com/

Lisa
Old May 20th 2003, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsLondon
What about US/UK couples where the wife is UK and the husband US. Can they join?
Yes, they have let someone else in this exact position join.. cuz I saw the comments on it yesterday.

As for the kettles.. I have tried both target and walmart here in Long Beach, CA. I though I was going to have to search out some specialtity british shop in santa monica and wasn't looking forward to it. I'll check out the links provided by stevelisaw.. I love ordering online!! I hate to shop! Takes up too much of my precious time.
Old May 20th 2003, 2:31 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by stevelisaw
We have a Bodum kettle at Target, but you can find kettles as stated in other posts at Target, Walmart etc.

Here are two links for kettles (we have links like this on our bits n bobs pages http://www.britsintheus.com/bitsnbobs.htm.)

Bodum
http://www.bodum.com

Superior Electrics out of Canada
http://superiorcanada.com/

Lisa
I miss my Dualit kettle
Old May 20th 2003, 3:13 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
I meant that Tetley was British as in a British company (It was founded in Yorkshire, England in 1837) when originally established anyway. Nowadays it's owned by Tata Tea - an Indian company...
TaTa Tea? Haha or tee hee............
Old May 20th 2003, 5:33 am
Soft

Default test

test
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
-- - Albert Einstein

Old May 20th 2003, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
I remember when Mark came to the States the first time we met, and we went grocery shopping to stock up on food for his month-long stay. We made a point to go to the tea section, where they had about 714 brands to choose from, with all sorts of fancy flavors and blends. I remember thinking, "He's British, he's a tea-drinker -- I'm sure he'll pick out something really exotic!"

And what does Mark choose? Boring ol' Tetley tea in the boring ol' yellow box. Just regular, run-of-the-mill tea -- no fancy blend, no special flavor.

I learned my lesson that day.

~ Jenney

p.s. Mark still laughs that I have one of the "old-fashioned" whistling kettles, and that I bought an electric one especially for his first visit so he would feel more at home. He still can't believe that I don't know ANYONE (besides myself) who has an electric kettle!

I thought we were the only ones we knew who owned an electric kettle too...but I guess there are others like us out there. We got a really cheap one at Walgreens. It does the trick. At first I had no idea what he was talking about, but I guess a stove top kettle just won't do.

Anyway, I don't think the British go for flavored teas. My husband likes Yorkshire Tea. Unfortunately, it's rather expensive in the import shops... luckily his mam sends it over.

Cheers,

Kat
Old May 20th 2003, 6:37 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BeachBunny
Yes, they have let someone else in this exact position join.. cuz I saw the comments on it yesterday.

As for the kettles.. I have tried both target and walmart here in Long Beach, CA. I though I was going to have to search out some specialtity british shop in santa monica and wasn't looking forward to it. I'll check out the links provided by stevelisaw.. I love ordering online!! I hate to shop! Takes up too much of my precious time.

Shouldn't be that difficult. Have you tried online at all? Or perhaps a nice vacation to Canada and take a run into Canadian Tire and choose one from their large selection of electric kettles.

Jim brought his down to the states with him five years ago. It is never used any more. He now prefers the rolling boil of the whistling kettle on the gas stove ;-) At least he was trainable in one area LOL.

Rete
Old May 20th 2003, 7:14 am
July

MrsLondon wrote in message news:...
    > What about US/UK couples where the wife is UK and the husband US. Can
    > they join?

We've actually had a couple of UK women join in the past day or
two.... please do, if you'd like!

July

Old May 20th 2003, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Shouldn't be that difficult. Have you tried online at all? Or perhaps a nice vacation to Canada and take a run into Canadian Tire and choose one from their large selection of electric kettles.

Jim brought his down to the states with him five years ago. It is never used any more. He now prefers the rolling boil of the whistling kettle on the gas stove ;-) At least he was trainable in one area LOL.

Rete
I found one online today from one of links above... I had been searching here and there not really having it on my priority list at the moment. But now I'm excited to get it. Everytime time I go over there I bring back 2 really large boxes of pg tips with me. I can't believe how cheap it is over there!! When I go back in late summer I'm going to bring less clothes so I can bring 3-4 boxes back!
Old May 20th 2003, 10:36 am
Howling at the Moon

I keep meaning to go to Canada and fill up the boot of my car with shreddies, kit kats etc.. I wonder if customs will question me as they will suspect I am an unlicensed importer ? lol

I'll have to convince them I'm planning to eat them all myself (mine ALL MINE!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.