Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Demenezes shooting

OT: Demenezes shooting

Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:05 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT: Demenezes shooting

It was a case of mistaken identity. An innocent person was shot in the head 7 times. Is there something I'm missing?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:50 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Me????? 14 years in the St John Ambulance Brigade, from age 11 upwards.

Invaluable First Aid Training
Free Touchline Seats For Liverpool & Everton (and Directors Box)
Free Concert Admission For The Liverpool Empire
Free Spot At Beechers Brook for The Grand National

etc etc.

What a life

Jim.

My husband did that too from about the same age. His uncle and dad were in it too, before him. He did mosty moto-x racing. Loads of spilled guts to pick up
Old Oct 17th 2007, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
It was a case of mistaken identity. An innocent person was shot in the head 7 times. Is there something I'm missing?
It appears you are. De Menedes was sought because A) he lived in the same block of flats that Osman(the proper suspect)did. B)He resembled the known photo of Osman. C) both in size and stature. D) De Menedes library card found alongside or inside the rucksack bomb disguarded by Osman when he chickened out of the bombing. As for 7 shots,I agree a bit over the top but whatever training you have you make a decision at that moment and carry it out.I say OTT because they have now made public they used dum dum bullets which are certain to cause instant death in a head shot with probably one bullet.But,as they say,at the end of the day, "I wasnt there to make that decision ".
Old Oct 17th 2007, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Balls, the police have had trained shooters forever. I remember them issuing guns to certain "properly trained" policemen, when they were hunting for Gunther Podola, and that was a while ago.
I have to diagree with you,sorry.My first course on firearms consisted me of going to a cellar firearms range under Salford Police Station.I was issued with a .38 Smith and Wesson with a 3 inch barrel.Over a 25 yards range I was given 50 rounds of ammo.I had never fired a gun before except at a fairground.I achieved a score with both hands,standing,lying and behind a barricade,either side of 91%.Pass score was 75%.I was then given my 'ticket' and within a week on operational patrol against the PIRA.I picked up my weapon at a local Police Station complete with 12 rounds of ammo.5 to be loaded and 7 kept in an Old Holborn tobacco tin with bits of tobacco in.A shoulder holster which was ill fitting. And out on patrol we went.I would point out that a lot of officers issued with guns in the 50/60's were ex forces so they were expected to be able to bear arms and know what to do with them. Having seen some of them I wouldnt trust them wityh a broom never mind a gun!.I did however progress,and usingf handguns and a sniper rifle/shotgun for house entry.But those are times gone by.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:28 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
De Menedes library card found alongside or inside the rucksack bomb disguarded by Osman when he chickened out of the bombing.
Are you 100% sure about this bit? I can find no reference to this anywhere.

Are you getting confused with this:

According to the leaked documents, police initially went to the block of flats where Mr Menezes lived in Scotia Road, Tulse Hill, because of a gym membership card found at the scene of the attempted Shepherd's Bush bombing. The card was registered to bomb suspect Osman Hussain and another man, believed to have lived in the Scotia Road flats.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4159310.stm
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:40 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
It appears you are. De Menedes was sought because...

Menezes wasn't "sought" by anyone - he was followed and shot by the police because they thought he was someone else.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by elfman

Menezes wasn't "sought" by anyone - he was followed and shot by the police because they thought he was someone else.
I stand corrected, I used an incorrect wording.(sought) Secondly I again stand corrected over the name on the card,due to age and senior moments confusion over some facts get mixed up.As a younger person, I'm sure you can make some sense of my ramblings.Have patience.I keep getting interupted by people pushing past with zimmer frames !.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:41 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Ok I’ll bite. Please explain a lethal shot in the leg, and I don’t mean an hour later when they have bleed to death.
First off, hitting someone in a leg or arm when you're pumped up on adrenaline, possibly been running, the subject possibly moving, is not easy and probably next to impossible. Especially with a handgun. Look at the number of shot fired vs. hits in many confrontations even at extremely close range. Second, if the threat is great enough to shoot at all, it's great enough to kill. A shot in a leg or arm will give the subject plenty of time to fire a gun or detonate an explosive. Third, a shot in a leg that hits the femoral artery will kill in a few minutes due to blood loss, not an hour. The same for any of the major atreries.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 11:43 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
First off, hitting someone in a leg or arm when you're pumped up on adrenaline, possibly been running, the subject possibly moving, is not easy and probably next to impossible. Especially with a handgun. Look at the number of shot fired vs. hits in many confrontations even at extremely close range. Second, if the threat is great enough to shoot at all, it's great enough to kill. A shot in a leg or arm will give the subject plenty of time to fire a gun or detonate an explosive. Third, a shot in a leg that hits the femoral artery will kill in a few minutes due to blood loss, not an hour. The same for any of the major atreries.
Ya ok I can see what you’re saying. It’s a bit funny though that shoot to kill is the fist response. I mean what happens when it’s some poor bloke that doesn’t have a bomb?
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:14 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Ya ok I can see what you’re saying. It’s a bit funny though that shoot to kill is the fist response. I mean what happens when it’s some poor bloke that doesn’t have a bomb?
I'm no cop, but I doubt that it's usually the first response, it depends on the situation I'm sure. Put yourself in the mind of the cops, if you've been told that a man has just shot someone and is certainly armed and very dangerous, then late that night you stop a man fitting that suspect's description exactly, you're going to very keyed up and the thought that he is going to pull a pistol and fire on you is playing over and over in your mind until you've practically convinced yourself it's going to happen. Then he ignores your command to raise his arms and instead quickly reaches inside his jacket pulls an object out. You fire and he falls dead. Turns out that he was a foreign national that did not speak english and was removing his ID from his pocket.

I know police train using scenarios just like that, but that isn't going to stop such incidents all the time. Especially with a young, inexperienced officer. We had just such an incident in a nearby town a few years ago. Two men dead, and the officer went to trial for manslaughter. I think he was aquitted by a jury, IIRC. EDIT: Aquitted, but settled a civil suit with another civil suit pending http://www.columbiamissourian.com/st...amilies-grief/

BTW I don't know the ins and outs of the particular case that is the original topic, I'm just giving general information based on my very limited knowlege of such things.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Oct 18th 2007 at 12:20 am.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:20 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Britain is not a police state and the police have no right going around shooting people 7 times in the head.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:40 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I’ll bite. Please explain a lethal shot in the leg, and I don’t mean an hour later when they have bleed to death.
Well if your femoral artery gets hit it won't take you an hour to bite the dust.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 2:48 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Britain is not a police state and the police have no right going around shooting people 7 times in the head.
You make it sound as if it is government policy and that it happens every day.

Catch a grip.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: OT: Demenezes shooting

Originally Posted by Manc

Try telling that to these guys......that you are not allowed to go around shooting people

http://www.eliteukforces.info/specia...anian-embassy/

Jim.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:37 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Try telling that to these guys......that you are not allowed to go around shooting people

http://www.eliteukforces.info/specia...anian-embassy/

Jim.
Hardly the same thing. I would have quoted the Gibraltar shootings as a comparison. Even then they weren't 'innocent'. The heat of the moment is what most people don't understand you can practice all you want real life is very different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.