Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Demenezes shooting

OT: Demenezes shooting

Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT: Demenezes shooting

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I'm sorry Roland but I have to disagree. The police in the US are quite accustomed to carrying firearms as well as facing suspects who are armed. It is still a VERY big deal when an innocent or unarmed person is shot by the police. It has to be.
Pity the same isn't true when the US military or private security services do it :curse:
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
You say the end justified the means, by killing one they saved who knows how many? What if that had been your brother or father or son? Wouldn't you demand justice for their senseless death? I know this may sound a bit melodramatic, but how many innocents could die if we don't have repercussions in place to protect us and we allow the Police full force of arms to shoot anyone who looks/acts suspicious?

I ask why the officers had to "shoot to kill" instead of 'shoot to disarm"? They could have shot him anywhere, like the hand, arm, knee, leg, etc to bring him down, but they chose a fatal shot. Besides if he had indeed been an operative, wouldn't be somewhat beneficial to have a live terrorist (for questioning) rather than a dead one?

Have to concur with Leslie - it's still an uproar in the US when an innocent person is killed by officers just as it should be.
You have to look at the complete picture as known at that time of the incidents faced by both the Police and Government.Terrorists believed still active and believed capable of continued violence against the general public.I concur that the higharchy of both Police and Government should have been quicker to acknowledge that a mistake had been made and by making certain comments too soon placed an unjustified amount of pressure on officers who risked their own lives in that station.If he had been a bomber they would have been killed aswell.A policy was in place which had been tried and tested and that is a dead terrorist does not explode bombs.
You say shoot him in the leg.That happens in the movies not in real life (I speak from experience)This is not to sound flippant over the matter, but you have to remember that the British Police are still learning by the faults as carrying firearms was not until recent years, a normal practice. I regret any loss of life but the circumstances warranted a regrettable death of in this case an innocent person.On not too a lighter note though, if De Mendes had not been an illegal alien, he would have been back in Brazil !.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Leslie, the answer to this question is simple.Surviellence officers follow him but no armed response officers close enough to stop him.Lack of info re radios,armed officers acted on info given.believed armed with device.... objective... to deny him chance to detonate. determination ..kill him. Simple.
So the guys that were following him weren't armed?
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Ok I’ll bite. Please explain a lethal shot in the leg, and I don’t mean an hour later when they have bleed to death.
The Femoral Artery is located in the leg. If that gets cut......you're in big trouble within seconds.

Jim.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
So the guys that were following him weren't armed?
Correct, one of them that eventually got to the station was, but that was part of the confusion that reigned over the whole situation.The surveillance officers gave way to the armed response officers who immediately went to the platform,onto the train and killed him.An unarmed surveillance officer was actually holding his arms on the train to stop him detonating a believed device.When the armed officers saw that they assumed he was trying to detonate a bomb, so they neutralized him', as they say.The actual surveillance officer was nearly shot in the chest aswell due to his action at it was only because he screamed he was 'Police' he didnt get done aswell.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Dustydog is an unknown quantity at this point

I ask why the officers had to "shoot to kill" instead of 'shoot to disarm"? They could have shot him anywhere, like the hand, arm, knee, leg, etc to bring him down, but they chose a fatal shot.
In dealing with desperate suicide terrorists, they are trained to shoot to kill. A wounded suicide bomber can still carry out his task.

A tragic mistake everyone would agree, but that's that.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:29 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
The Femoral Artery is located in the leg. If that gets cut......you're in big trouble within seconds.

Jim.
Ok Thanks. What is everyone on here a doctor now?
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Dustydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Apply tornaquet, elevate limb, but if you think he's a baddy, shoot him again.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:38 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dustydog
Apply tornaquet, elevate limb, but if you think he's a baddy, shoot him again.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:45 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Don't give our copper guns
this bit I agree with.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: OT: Demenezes shooting

Me????? 14 years in the St John Ambulance Brigade, from age 11 upwards.

Invaluable First Aid Training
Free Touchline Seats For Liverpool & Everton (and Directors Box)
Free Concert Admission For The Liverpool Empire
Free Spot At Beechers Brook for The Grand National

etc etc.

What a life

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Oct 17th 2007 at 1:29 am.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:27 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Probably shock ... I'm a doctor ..but not of medicine
But I have seen it happen
http://www.policeone.com/officer-down/634288/
Oh get off the spin for once Ray. Sure people sometimes die from wounds to extremities but rarely, if it was usual there would have been a hell of a lot less people coming home from wars.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:35 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
You have to look at the complete picture as known at that time of the incidents faced by both the Police and Government.Terrorists believed still active and believed capable of continued violence against the general public.I concur that the higharchy of both Police and Government should have been quicker to acknowledge that a mistake had been made and by making certain comments too soon placed an unjustified amount of pressure on officers who risked their own lives in that station.If he had been a bomber they would have been killed aswell.A policy was in place which had been tried and tested and that is a dead terrorist does not explode bombs.
You say shoot him in the leg.That happens in the movies not in real life (I speak from experience)This is not to sound flippant over the matter, but you have to remember that the British Police are still learning by the faults as carrying firearms was not until recent years, a normal practice. I regret any loss of life but the circumstances warranted a regrettable death of in this case an innocent person.On not too a lighter note though, if De Mendes had not been an illegal alien, he would have been back in Brazil !.
Balls, the police have had trained shooters forever. I remember them issuing guns to certain "properly trained" policemen, when they were hunting for Gunther Podola, and that was a while ago.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

A shot to the head you’re dead a shot in the leg you limp…
A shot in the leg means you can still let a bomb off, had they known he didn't have a bomb, he'd still be alive (and not limping either probably).
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I ask why the officers had to "shoot to kill" instead of 'shoot to disarm"? They could have shot him anywhere, like the hand, arm, knee, leg, etc to bring him down, but they chose a fatal shot. Besides if he had indeed been an operative, wouldn't be somewhat beneficial to have a live terrorist (for questioning) rather than a dead one?
Just think about that for a second, put yourself in the position of the armed police.

You confront a would be suicide bomber with a detonator in his hand, and you shoot him in the leg/arm. Don't you think he might just get pissed off? Bear in mind you're going to have to be pretty close to do it with a pistol, close enough that his explosive belt is going to give you a new type of face lift.

Not the best idea.

The problem here was that the victim was wrongly identified as a potential suicide bomber. The guys who pulled the trigger were not at fault (as I believe has been established at the hearing already), they shot to stop a perceived threat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.