Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT ; Do women prefer money over effort type gifts ?

OT ; Do women prefer money over effort type gifts ?

Old Jun 29th 2001, 10:16 am
william michael munc

Thanks group ! with all these responses I was able to prove that I was on the right
track. I forward a lot of these replies to her and she was surprised. After we
discussed this more she explained why it is different there. As most everyone knows
the economy in Russia is not so good and really never has been. She is use to going
to bed every night worrying about money. So I suspect over there when a man buys a
nice gift it does show effort, and she never imagined it could be different in other
parts of the world.

>
    >
    >
money
    >
I
    >
I
    >
picked
    >
    >
    >
diamond
    >
to
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
man
    >
thinks
    >
nice, I
    >
me a
    >
met
    >
diamond
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 29th 2001, 11:30 am
Alvena Ferreira

william michael muncy wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
Believe me, having grown up what most people would call pretty much on the poor side,
money is only important when you do NOT have it. Of course, my upbringing would have
paled in comparison to the degree of poverty that most russians may have to deal with
in their daily lives. We always had good food on the table, even if my clothes were
"hand-me-downs". I never wondered if we would have a meal that evening, and I never
worried that we might not have food tomorrow. However, if the pictures that I have
seen representative of russian life on TV are any indication, this is not true in
Russia. Yes, surely when there is little money, a gift that shows money is a *strong*
indicator of feelings, due to the fact that most people might have to save and scrimp
for months and possibly even years to afford it.

By the way, I guess my mother knew more about true poverty than I, having grown up
in the depression era. She has told me stories of how they papered their walls with
newspapers to keep out the cold from the cracks, and her sister told me how the
girls slept in the attic and always slept with the covers over their heads so that
if it snowed they would not have snow on their faces when they woke up. Mom always
said that for variety in their meals, they would have beans and potatoes for
breakfast and then for lunch they would have potatoes and beans. Mom had to start
cooking for the family of 9 children when she was 8 years old, as her mother died
that year. She, being the youngest and too small to go work in the fields with her
older brothers and sisters, was designated the cook by her father. When she was 16,
she was informed by her father that they could no longer afford to feed her and that
she should leave and make her way on her own. Her kind married sister took her in,
and she worked a half day and went to school a half day to get her high school
diploma. That 16th year was the year that she bought her first toothbrush. Truly,
poverty is a very relative thing!

Alvena
===
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice; this is my personal opinion, posted
for the purpose of discussion only:
===
K-1 FAQ: http://www.k1faq.com Timelines: http://www.wkh.org/ A great K-1 Site:
http://pages.prodigy.net/alixtcat/immigrat.htm Marriage Visa Pages:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
===

Old Jun 29th 2001, 11:42 am
Betastar

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

This is a very good point. SHe'll be overwhelmed when she gets here

Old Jun 29th 2001, 12:20 pm
Goodwin

Hello again Lisa and no it did not sting!!!! So Lisa "You Are The Weakest Link -
goodbye" Carol

Old Jun 29th 2001, 12:21 pm
Goodwin

Thank you very much Vicki I am glad someone else agrees with me. More Cheese with
your Whine eh? LOL Carol

Old Jun 29th 2001, 1:15 pm
javaranger

My Russian teacher started crying the first time she went into a Safeway.

My buddy's fiancee's mom once stood in line for 4 hours in Russia to get a banana,
which my buddy'd fiancee kept for a week under her pillow, eating it bite by bite as
it spoiled.

These are some of the things I think about when I see perfectly able-bodied punks
asking me for change at the mall......

-Javaranger

>

>
[usenetquote2]> >Thanks group ! with all these responses I was able to prove that I was on[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >the right[/usenetquote2]
track.
[usenetquote2]> >I forward a lot of these replies to her and she was surprised. After we discussed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >this more she explained why it is different there. As most everyone knows the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >economy in Russia is not so good and really never has been. She is use to going to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >bed every night worrying about money. So I suspect over there when a man buys a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >nice gift it does show effort, and[/usenetquote2]
she
[usenetquote2]> >never imagined it could be different in other parts of the world.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 29th 2001, 2:15 pm
Grinch

>
    >
    >
    >
it
    >
    >
    >
able-bodied
    >
    >
    >

Wrong newsgroup dude. this group is only for aardvark and giraffe stories. Debates
about HTML also allowed.

Grinch

Old Jun 29th 2001, 3:51 pm
Michael Nguyen

Goodwin wrote:
    >
    >
    >

Now that's funny because we've also received emails saying, more or less, the
same about both of you. And the best part it was from people you *think* you get
along with.

Ohh.. and very funny the Weakest Link thingy...very original too.

Old Jun 29th 2001, 5:36 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by XtrynytiX
For me, its the little things that count the most. A cup of tea in the morning waiting as I wake up; a hug "because he needed one"; holding hands in public; getting me the latest software so that my PC in England is like a little carbon copy of his...... all the little tiny signs of affection that go to make up a nice whole.
This all reminds me of this book my in-laws-to-be got me and Ben. It's called 'The Five Love Languages - How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate' by Gary Chapman. And his theory is pretty much explained in the title - there are five love languages:

Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving gifts, Acts of Service (like helping with the housework) and Physical Touch.

So I guess if a person's love language is receiving gifts then they'll appreciate presents more. Though the book makes the point that something like a flower picked on the way home or a homemade card is just as good as something expensive. Though if your partner's love language is physical touch and you buy them all the gifts in the world then they won't feel as loved as if you were to give them an extra kiss on the way to work or something. I'm very glad we don't have to have an ldr anymore as physical touch is my favourite 'language' methinks.

Daftest thing ever was when we both sat by our PC's, 4000 odd miles away, listening
to the same radio station at his suggestion. Thats what makes me smile.

Aww yeah, we did that too a couple of times.

Jennie

Ben & Jennie's UK to USA K-1 Visa Quest: http://www.geocities.com/ben_jennie/
Old Jun 29th 2001, 7:03 pm
javaranger

1st Generation Threads = must relate to subject of initial post, which must relate to
marriage Visa's in the US 2nd Generation Threads = must be associated, if vaguely,
with 1st Generation Thread 3rd Generation Threads and later = Zooology, Etymology,
Russian Entomology, Whining, Penis Size, Whining about Penis Size, Dicking with HTML.

Grinch bashing/praising may occur at any point in a given thread, including as topic
of inital post. Also, editing the subject header is allowed, although for some reason
rarely occurs.

Clearly, I'm within the guidelines.

-Javaranger

>

[usenetquote2]> > My Russian teacher started crying the first time she went into a[/usenetquote2]
Safeway.
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My buddy's fiancee's mom once stood in line for 4 hours in Russia to get[/usenetquote2]
a
[usenetquote2]> > banana, which my buddy'd fiancee kept for a week under her pillow,[/usenetquote2]
eating
    >
[usenetquote2]> > bite by bite as it spoiled.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > These are some of the things I think about when I see perfectly[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > punks asking me for change at the mall......[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > -Javaranger[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
also
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 30th 2001, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

bc_39 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is from a woman who has had the expensive gifts after her X-husband has done something wrong....like the string of pearls that I received after a beating on Mothers Day......whoopdie doo. I recently married a man from the U.S. after spending a year together I went home to do my visa, he called me every night for the 9 months that we had to be apart. He isnt a business man, he works long hours in the oilfields of Wyoming to earn a living for us and his 2 teenaged sons who he was raising on his own when we met. The devotion that it took for him to call, without fail, before midnight to let me know that he was working late. When he got home after a 22 hour day he still called to say he loved me before falling asleep for an hour, and getting up to go work again. The most memorable call came one morning at about 2 am as he was on his way home from work. I answered the phone to hear the radio blarring our song "Fishing in the dark". When the song finished, he turned down the radio and told me that he loved me, and would call as soon as he got home. I had the biggest smile on my face as I told him he was crazy, to which he replied that he was crazy, crazy in love with me. He has given me very nice gifts of jewelry, flowers, and other things that are all special to me. But in my opinion, the efforts he made to show that he loved me when we were apart, still, and always will, mean more to me than any gift he could ever buy me, no matter how expensive. I truly think that I am the luckiest woman on earth, I have the most wonderful husband in the world. I know that he would do anything for me and I will always do anything and everything for him. I do truly believe that I have found my soulmate for life, we will be together forever.
Old Jul 3rd 2001, 1:20 am
hotman54

You said, "As most everyone knows the economy in Russia is not so good and really
never has been. She is use to going to bed every night worrying about money. So I
suspect over there when a man buys a nice gift it does show effort!"

This is exactly what my fiancé told me when I told her about this, and she is from
Belarus, a former Soviet Republic! And, in fact, Belarus is more Soviet today than
is Russia!

Jim

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 7:16 pm
forcefulljack10

[email protected]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Crikey Shawn,yer onto a winner there son! nice one! Does that mean you dont have
to buy a wedding ring for the big day or what? LOL! FJ10

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 10:43 pm
Shawn Seabrook

"forcefulljack10" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Question: where are you and where is she?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I would prefer a small thoughtful gift (be it hand-made or something[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > store-bought that carried a lot of personal meaning) than a large[/usenetquote2]
expensive
[usenetquote2]> > one such as a diamond. I may be in a minority there, though![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Beth[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
what?
    >

I know, and I'm not talking about money either. : )

I keep on telling Beth's folks that I'll pay for the flowers too, but they're not
having any of it either. I guess spending a few bob for the flight and getting my CDs
and books over to the States will be enough to make me feel a little poorer.

Not sure about the ring though. We got it from this short man with no shoes on and
really hairy feet. He gave me a poem too:

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their
halls of stone, Nine for the Mortal Men doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his
dark throne In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them In
the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

All a bit strange if you ask me.

--
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤Â� �`°¤ø,¸¸»«¸,ø¤°`� �°Â¤Ã¸,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,Â� �¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø� �¤Â°`°¤ø,¸ø¤°`°¤ø Shawn
Seabrook. http://www.orlando-seabrook.freeserve.co.uk This signature set seems to
have reduced my spam. Maybe if everyone does it we can defeat the email search bots.
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]
[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] One Ring to rule them all, One Ring
to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them..."

(JRR Tolkein)
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤Â� �`°¤ø,¸¸»«¸,ø¤°`� �°Â¤Ã¸,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,Â� �¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø� �¤Â°`°¤ø,¸ø¤°`°¤ø

Old Jul 10th 2001, 2:14 am
billypilgrim

It depends, I suppose, on the blender. If someone bought me a $300 Kitchen Aid mixer
for Christmas, I'd hug them and treasure it always. If they bought me, say, a vacuum
cleaner.... not so good (unless I was very short on money and couldn't afford a
vacuum cleaner otherwise).

It would be like the difference between getting a man a scady-eight million bit
cordless power drill and getting him a new trash bin.

You see the difference? Well, I do, anyway.

Beth

----------

[usenetquote2]>> <snip> You have to know what pleases your lady and what you are capable of, or[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> prefer.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I think this really says it all. I like when my husband gives me[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> he knows I want, something that fits my tastes. But I also know that we[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> on a budget, and that his job (driving truck) keeps him away and not able[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> shop, or make things himself. I love poetry, but he does not, and would feel[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> uncomfortable writing for me. So instead I get a card written in verse. Gifts I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> perfer to get is something I can use, or need - I don't care if[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> Christmas, if I need a new blender thats what I ask for! He thinks that giving[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> your wife a blender for Christmas isn't really a great gift. He likes sending[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> flowers and buying jewelry, which I also like. Last Christmas I got a blender and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> a gold bracelet. I use both and I love him for it. Take Care. Shelley[/usenetquote2]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.