Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Opinions: Expressing them online versus face to face.

Opinions: Expressing them online versus face to face.

Old Apr 23rd 2016, 12:23 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinions: Expressing them online versus face to face.

IMO, people tend to like to hide behind the anonymity of forums. I also find it interesting how people react when I shrug shoulders and humbly quip, "Opinions vary ...."; for some reason, certain people then escalate and really fly off the handle. You can't be rational with irrationality, I guess!

Its all an elaborate social study.

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I have a 'look', it's a cross between and
.... whenever someone would say to me, 'turn the other cheek'; I assumed that they merely couldn't properly see my moon.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 12:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 'look', it's a cross between and

It's been known to make grown men cry
Ditto.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:46 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

On BE, I'm more likely to express opinions about race and politics. When there is a thread that's actually dedicated to race/politics, I feel that is the one place that I can be as bombastic as I like because the setting is appropriate. It is never appropriate to force my opinions on co-workers or clientele, and I certainly don't like it when they force their opinions on me (unless we're in agreement, of course ). Same thing with family and friends, they all know how I feel about most things and, if we don't hold the same views, we can always find something less contentious to discuss.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say that I would never call you bombastic.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:53 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just wanted to say that I would never call you bombastic.
You can even call me "dear" and I wouldn't be offended. You're always nice to me, I don't know why you get yourself in so much trouble otherwise.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

In an online community like this where people are regular posters and get to know each other then generally people are quite respectful of each other. I think most people post their honest opinion - it's just too much hard work to project another personality over months and years and it's usually fairly easy to spot the wind up merchants. Whether that honest opinion is delivered more bluntly than in real life I think depends on the poster.

However, elsewhere in places such as comments on news stories where there isn't a sense of community, its disappointing how quickly comments can descend into the aggressive and hostile name calling and insults. The Guardian and Telegraph below the line commentators usually have a fairly coherent position, but other places such as HuffPro and CNN and Fox usually have me backing away pretty quickly, particularly political articles, regardless of which party people claim to support. Depressing insight into the human psyche.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

How often on online forums like BE and social media like Facebook that someone's opinions completely surprise you or are taken in the wrong context?

Do people state their opinions more openly and more aggressively online than if they were face to face with the other people they are conversing with??

Just curious as to what other people think. I have recently been surprised by a few people I know quite well being very outspoken and hostile on subjects I really didn't think they ever had much interest in, let alone a very forceful and aggressive opinion. I just can't imagine them acting this way if it was a discussion we were having together.
People can be weird
I don't think they're necessarily being 'weird' when they surprise you. Sometimes they may even be surprising themselves. The wonderful American author Joan Didion, famously said:

"I write entirely to find out what I'm thinking, what I'm looking at, what I see and what it means. What I want and what I fear"

That sometimes happens here for me. The very act of posting focuses and crystallizes my thinking. The expression ie my own post is sometimes a revelation (to me )

Old Apr 25th 2016, 5:06 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Once I posted, "With all due respect, [what the person I was responding to had said was not correct]." The rest of the post was (to my mind, anyway) equally polite. I got a ticked-off response that people only use that phrase when they are disagreeing! Well, yeah!!!
Old Apr 25th 2016, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Once I posted, "With all due respect, [what the person I was responding to had said was not correct]." The rest of the post was (to my mind, anyway) equally polite. I got a ticked-off response that people only use that phrase when they are disagreeing! Well, yeah!!!
Old Apr 25th 2016, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

That's because "with all due respect" means exactly the opposite. Think Sir Humphrey Appleby.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 5:39 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
That's because "with all due respect" means exactly the opposite. Think Sir Humphrey Appleby.

It may in the sitcom world, but not the real world.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Every online forum is the same. In fact, not just forums. Read the comments section on the majority of YouTube videos. As far as I'm concerned, anyone that gets upset about something some total stranger says on an Internet forum should probably stay away from Internet forums.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

It may in the sitcom world, but not the real world.
with all due respect, you're wrong.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 6:43 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by yellowroom
with all due respect, you're wrong.
Oh no, yellowroom doesn't agree with me!!!! I'm going to take my bat and go home!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:16 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Outside of my home I rarely argue with anyone. If I am with someone who has strong opinions about something that I don't agree with, I just stay quiet. My USC family members are quite opinionated. My mum brought me up never to argue with relatives, so I don't. I just don't respond to them, or change the subject when I can.

Inside our house, anything goes. We can shout, yell, argue, whatever. We don't take offense.

On this forum, I like to state my opinion, because I think that's what's forums are actually for. People ask for advice, and everyone gives their opinion. The last time I gave an opinion somebody remarked that I was "spewing my guts out." Therefore, I decided it wasn't worth it, and have retreated somewhat. I'm thinking why bother?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.