Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Open up! This is the police!

Open up! This is the police!

Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:01 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Open up! This is the police!

Four o'clock this morning, Wifey and I were suddenly woken up by a loud banging on the door.

I was worried it was a gang of drug dealers or IRS agents or something, so I struggled into some jeans while Tina (despite my instructions not to) answered the door.

And there stood a policeman.

And the expression on his face was: 'Oh, shit. I've just woken up the only white, legal residents on this entire street.'

Since our street is almost exclusively made up of Spanish illegal immigrants (we have the only cars with New Jersey plates, which is a clue.)

The policeman was looking for somebody called Ramos. When he found out that Ramos can't have lived at this address for at least six months, he apologised and left.

And Tina and I struggled to get back to sleep (I had to get up an hour and a half later.)

Am I just being a whiney little sod, or is it a bit off of the police to wake us up at four in the morning for that startlingly inefficient bit of police work?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open up! This is the police!

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Four o'clock this morning, Wifey and I were suddenly woken up by a loud banging on the door.

I was worried it was a gang of drug dealers or IRS agents or something, so I struggled into some jeans while Tina (despite my instructions not to) answered the door.

And the expression on his face was: 'Oh, shit. I've just woken up the only white, legal residents on this entire street.'

Since our street is almost exclusively made up of Spanish illegal immigrants (we have the only cars with New Jersey plates, which is a clue.)

The policeman was looking for somebody called Ramos. When he found out that Ramos can't have lived at this address for at least six months, he apologised and left.

And Tina and I struggled to get back to sleep (I had to get up an hour and a half later.)

Am I just being a whiney little sod, or is it a bit off of the police to wake us up at four in the morning for that startlingly inefficient bit of police work?
Don't know what they were investigating - perhaps something serious at that hour of the morning.

And people don't register their addresses with the police or anything - they'd have to first check at the last known address.

So while I sympathise with the inconvenience, I don't think I'd really blame the police.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:33 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

You got lucky, could have been a lot worse!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:36 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Wifey and I discussed it - and we figured the inconvenience was probably minor compared to the difference between catching a criminal or not.

And the policeman was polite and apologetic. In that: 'I'm apologising, but if you give me any crap I'm tasering your ass' way that American policemen have!

Bit worrying that a crook was living in our house before us! Normally we're just used to renting from them (had to take our landlord in the UK to court.)

Still, story to tell people.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:22 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look in the attic! You never know what you might find
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:29 pm
Militant Ginger

I posted about this before...

When we moved in, our handyman (Delwood, so named because he 'milks' a job) pointed out a huge red stain on the floor, intersected by saw marks in the floorboards.

We conjoured up the grisly tale of a Mafia hitman, carving up his victim's body on this very floor in order to hide it.

My first week in the house, I hardly slept a week! I was convinced the place was haunted.

I'd just read about the Amityville horror (with the strange smells and lights) and one night, I was woken by THE most God-awful stench - I'd never smelt ANYTHING like it. It was choking.

And in the next room, strange lights were flickering.

Under the covers I go (nobody can ever get you under the covers) and I didn't sleep all night.

In the morning?

Well, the smell was from a Skunk (I'd never encountered a skunk before - it was still my first few days in America.)

And the flickering lights?

My wife's stereo, in 'demo' mode.

Yes, I am a total pussy.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:41 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Am I just being a whiney little sod
YES

Old Dec 4th 2007, 2:50 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Next time when this happens show up at the door wearing a wife beater and a cigarette hanging out your mouth. That should complete the picture if not make you look suspicious

'Bad boys, bad boys, what'cha gonna do, what'cha gonna do when they come for you....'
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:12 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

You're lucky the cop waited for you to open the door. It could have been worse IMHO.

BTW, what's with the "Spanish" illegal immigrants? Do you mean Spanish speaking?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:24 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You're lucky the cop waited for you to open the door. It could have been worse IMHO.

BTW, what's with the "Spanish" illegal immigrants? Do you mean Spanish speaking?
No, they're all over here from the Costa Del Sol (apparently to escape us Brits.)

Erm. Actually that was a flimsy attempt at humour to cover the fact that, yes, most of them are 'hispanic' rather than Spanish.

All very nice - had no problem with the neighbours at all. Except the vast majority of them (according to local sources) are illegal.

But crime rate in our street is low (because none of us have anything worth stealing.)

And in the cop's defence, an 86 Lincoln parked outside a little house like ours IS in keeping with the neighbours!!!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 3:24 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Paul S
YES

Left... Myself... Open... for that one.

D'oh!

:curse:
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:12 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Left... Myself... Open... for that one.

D'oh!

:curse:
For this one too ..

I posted about this before...

Yes, I am a total pussy.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:29 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by anabella
For this one too ..
I can't win.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:30 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

I can't win.
I think it was all Pimpo's fault.. he made the cops choose your house!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:56 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the "pre-dawn raids" all happen at that time, to hopefully catch the sleepy criminal at his place of residence.

It's times like this that I'm glad that we're the only people to have ever lived at our current address (13 years).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.