Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Only took 10 years but...

Only took 10 years but...

Old May 23rd 2012, 8:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Only took 10 years but...

A crane almost flew into our car this afternoon, which was quite interesting.

See quite a few of them as they hand out at a river near by, but first time one has been so close, in the wild.
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:27 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
A crane almost flew into our car this afternoon, which was quite interesting.

See quite a few of them as they hand out at a river near by, but first time one has been so close, in the wild.
Egrets abound here along with cranes. I love to watch cranes fly, they kind of lope through the air. Egrets are little stoopies.
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell the difference between an egret and heron or crane...but I don't know the difference between a heron and crane.

The garden of our house in the UK used to run down to a river. I used to love watching the cranes catch fish and eels.
Old May 23rd 2012, 8:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I can tell the difference between an egret and heron or crane...but I don't know the difference between a heron and crane.

The garden of our house in the UK used to run down to a river. I used to love watching the cranes catch fish and eels.
http://dailyapple.blogspot.com/2011/...vs-cranes.html

I only know it's a crane, the one at the bottom of that page, because there's a plaque on the bridge across town with some info on cranes that wade through the river, other wise I wouldn't have a clue
Old May 24th 2012, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
I've seen plenty of snails here. Have to keep avoiding treading on them. Must be the rainy weather. Not sure if that was what you meant by wild animals haha
No rattlers or coyotes? We also have skunks.

Hang on. What rainy weather???

Last edited by Ozzidoc; May 24th 2012 at 4:49 am.
Old May 24th 2012, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

gemmabl is an unknown quantity at this point

We have blue jays and cardinals in our trees, and plenty of racoons and possums that go through our trash cans and leave a big mess.

And there's a rare bald eagle nest about a mile from our house.
Old May 25th 2012, 12:35 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

British robins are very territorial...you only see one in the garden and they are very aggressive in defending their territory. I've counted several dozen robins on our lawn digging for bugs.
Originally Posted by Bob
Yup, US one is a thrush, not quite sure what the European one is, but it's something else.
Very true that you never see more than one British robin in the garden. Maybe that's why they seem so special. American robins are a dime a dozen & don't seem special at all.

I just looked up the classification of European robin. Seems it used to be known as a small thrush, but now is deemed to be an Old World Flycatcher. Haha! I think the songs both sing are very different in nature. . . .
Old May 25th 2012, 12:44 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Egrets abound here along with cranes. I love to watch cranes fly, they kind of lope through the air. Egrets are little stoopies.

The egret is a type of heron IIRC. The best way to tell herons & cranes apart is if you can see them fly. Herons fly with the neck hunched back & cranes stretch the neck out full-length forward.

Cranes always seem more graceful than herons to me, but I'm sure that varies a lot with the type.
Old May 25th 2012, 2:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

The little one saw this yesterday, think it's a crane. It was near where we used to live and didn't see it fly, it just landed from above us.
Attached Thumbnails Only took 10 years but...-natick-02.jpg  
Old May 25th 2012, 4:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The little one saw this yesterday, think it's a crane. It was near where we used to live and didn't see it fly, it just landed from above us.
or a heron.
Old May 25th 2012, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just seen a tiny bear cub dead in the middle of the road.
Old May 25th 2012, 8:54 pm
Sursum corda

Just seen a tiny bear cub dead in the middle of the road.

Something must've happened to Mama.
Old May 25th 2012, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

redglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant futureredglade has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
I think that's a Great Blue Heron.
Old May 25th 2012, 9:57 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redglade
It is a pretty nice one, isn't it?
Old May 25th 2012, 10:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by redglade
Cool, thanks

I just need to get a photo of the turtles that are around the river behind where we used to live in town and at the other end of the park, if only they would get close enough. Loads of those buggers, but pretty small.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.