Omaha Steaks

Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:16 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Omaha Steaks

So I bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and finally ordered some stuff from Omaha Steaks. I have been meaning to try them out for a while and with a bonus points offer and a sale going on as well as having a distinct lack of steak in the house, I decided it was time to take the plunge.

I ordered a gift selection and some individual items but ended up with varying amounts of the following:
  • 4oz boneless pork chops
  • 5oz fillet mignons
  • 5oz top sirloins
  • Beef sirloin tips
  • 4oz burgers
  • Jumbo franks
  • Potatoes au Gratin

It was all packaged well and arrived secure and cold.

I've had a chance to try most of it now, so thought if anyone was interested I'd post them here.

The fillets were too thin for my taste - it's hard to cook a 1/2" fillet to medium rare and have the center warm without overcooking it.

The sirloins were alright but not as flavorful as I'd hoped for and again were on the small/thin side.

The burgers were fine as a backup in the freezer. Normally I make my own burgers and had only got these as they were thrown in as part of one of the selections. These aren't gourmet burgers, again, they're pretty thin and nothing to write home about (no better than boxed frozen burgers tbh) and I'd recommend either making your own or buying them from the meat counter of a decent grocery store in preference.

The franks were franks. Not amazing, not at all bad. Not a reason to order steaks though.

The potato au gratin were not what I was expecting. They are balls of potato which were more akin to what I would call croquette potatoes. Not bad actually - maybe because I'd not had something like this for years.

I've not used the sirloin tips yet.

All in all, I probably won't do it again. I was hoping for a slightly better quality steak and frankly although they're not bad, they're also no better (or cheaper) than some of the steaks you can get in a good local grocery store. For example, I can get some great Porterhouse steaks from HEB fairly regularly for <$7 (often <$6) and they also have some nice smaller NY strips or ribeyes which are < $8 (and again often <$6/$7).

EDIT: Just to add, I've cooked 2 sets of fillets both over direct heat and using a reverse sear method. They're too thin for the reverse sear to be of any benefit.

Last edited by Bink; Dec 17th 2013 at 9:22 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Omaha Steaks

Good to know, I've been thinking of ordering some for a while. Think i'll stick with Sam's Club!
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.honeybaked.com/

On a slight tangent, but any one into pork products, this place is good.

Bit pricey but they often have deals going. Used to live near a store which helped though.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Someone bought us a gift box of Omaha steaks after our son was born. Nice gesture but I was similarly underwhelmed.

Jack Stack bbq is a good one if you want to send meat to someone.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I've never tried Omaha Steaks but anyone wants to try them then today is apparently there free shipping day.

2 (5 oz.) Filet Mignons
2 (5 oz.) Top Sirloins
2 (4 oz.) Boneless Pork Chops
4 (4 oz.) Omaha Steaks Burgers
4 (5.75 oz.) Stuffed Baked Potatoes
4 Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes

for $69 free shipping.

make of that what you will.

Personally i get my steaks from AJs fine foods and tend to stock up the freezer when they have their semi annual 50% of steak sale.

I cooked my first steak on my new Lodge Sportsman's Cast Iron Charcoal Grill a couple of weeks back and it tasted amazing. And the cast iron adds great grill lines on the steaks.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Bit pricey but they often have deals going. Used to live near a store which helped though.
i had a family member send one of there honey baked hams for Christmas, it was huge. But we could hardly eat any of it. It was too sweet, I mean sickly sweet. Beware.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Yes I second the honeybaked ham - just ordered yesterday for pickup on Tuesday 24th.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:26 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar experience with Omaha, they just didn't have enough flavor.

There aren't a ton of dedicated butchers around me but I did find a fresh produce store that also has excellent, fresh, non salinated, tasty beef. Even their hamburger tastes better than the supermarket.

Pete
Old Dec 18th 2013, 7:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
i had a family member send one of there honey baked hams for Christmas, it was huge. But we could hardly eat any of it. It was too sweet, I mean sickly sweet. Beware.
They have a decent range and not all of it is sweet. Great place to get cold cuts, but that's something for the stores I'd guess.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I get all my beef (plus lamb and fish) at Costco. I love their meat quality, and the prices are reasonable, I think.

I love Honey Baked Ham! Our company pays for us to get a variety meat tray from them every year around Thanksgiving and we usually involve a potluck lunch around it. We were all too busy this year, though. I miss it.

Rene
Old Dec 18th 2013, 9:00 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I was so excited to try the honey baked ham. I waited years and then someone brought it for the works party. It was okay, but still not proper ham. It still tastes a bit plasticy.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 12:41 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Honeybaked box lunches are the bomb!

Pete
Old Dec 19th 2013, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Omaha had a sale on
Omaha ALWAYS has a sale on!

In fact, if anyone pays the full price, they're a mug!!
Old Dec 20th 2013, 5:12 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

BIL brought a honey baked ham thing to thanksgiving a few years back.....he hasn't been invited since

We did the Omaha thing about 8 or 9 years back...even set a stopwatch to cook exactly as per instructions. They turned out ok from what I remember, but we haven't ordered since, which maybe says something! Also, it ticked me off that I couldn't seem to order steak without getting stuffed fish and baked potatoes at the same time. I keep seeing the ads/discount coupons, but never feel the need to use them as the local "butcher" (ha!) does decent meat at decent meat prices.
Old Dec 21st 2013, 10:31 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Omaha ALWAYS has a sale on!

In fact, if anyone pays the full price, they're a mug!!
Very true! I tried them a few years ago. Not impressed at all.