Reload this Page >

Older cancer patients being written off instead of treated

Older cancer patients being written off instead of treated

Old Jan 24th 2014, 3:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Older cancer patients being written off instead of treated

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ts-not-treated

Guardian link but it seems to be on every news feed.

Dr Mark Porter, chairman of council at the British Medical Association, said: "It is important that all healthcare professionals ensure that patients are treated on the basis of their clinical need.

"With an increasingly ageing population, it should be a key part of medical professionalism to guarantee that older patients are treated with the care and respect they deserve."
I am not sure what the phrase clinical needs means, it would have been easy to say without regards to age or life expectancy.

I am both older and have cancer deaths in my family tree, but rationally how could you justify spending limited resources without taking into account outcome?
Old Jan 24th 2014, 3:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Older cancer patients being written off instead of treated

I think by say by 80, I am not sure why money is spent to try and extend life, at 80 one has already had a full life, and any medical care will only provide a small amount of extra time.

I just dont understand spending hundreds of thousands for a 80+ year old. My uncle had heart surgery at 85 and racked up hundreds of thousands in bills, and died less then 11 months later, seems like a total waste of money and resources to extend a life not even a year.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Taken to the (il)logical extreme we should just give up treating disease altogether because it's a waste of resources and weakens the gene pool.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 3:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I think by say by 80, I am not sure why money is spent to try and extend life, at 80 one has already had a full life, and any medical care will only provide a small amount of extra time.

I just dont understand spending hundreds of thousands for a 80+ year old. My uncle had heart surgery at 85 and racked up hundreds of thousands in bills, and died less then 11 months later, seems like a total waste of money and resources to extend a life not even a year.
Come back when you are in your 80's and let's see if you are singing the same tune.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 4:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Come back when you are in your 80's and let's see if you are singing the same tune.
If resources are being focused on those in their 80's then it reduces his chances of getting that far.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Our family is noted for living to well into their 90's. However, if I were diagnosed with cancer at age 75 or upward, I would want to be able to get the best cancer care I can get if that were my choice. I should always come down to choice ... the patient's choice, not the medical profession.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Our family is noted for living to well into their 90's. However, if I were diagnosed with cancer at age 75 or upward, I would want to be able to get the best cancer care I can get if that were my choice. I should always come down to choice ... the patient's choice, not the medical profession.
A few months ago my 87 year old MIL underwent an 11 hour surgery to remove cancer from her face. She has a wonderful attitude and despite her facial disfigurement...the cancer had spread to almost half her face...she gets out and about every day.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
That is the way it is in the US but end of life treatment is currently about 25% of the Medicare expenditures and pushing the US cost of health care way above other countries.

If something isn't done that allows the patients and patient's families to make medical decisions instead of the medical profession, then maybe Paul Ryan's plan to push about 50% of the cost of Medicare to Medicare recipient's is the only viable solution.

A good example of that is the brain dead child where her mother is making medical decisions instead of medical personal.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 24th 2014 at 1:03 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Why should you be the judge of who gets to live longer or not?
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

+1!
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A few months ago my 87 year old MIL underwent an 11 hour surgery to remove cancer from her face. She has a wonderful attitude and despite her facial disfigurement...the cancer had spread to almost half her face...she gets out and about every day.
My dear, beloved grandmother, who passed away the 1st of February last year, would have still been kicking around her own house at 98 years old, had she not had a heart attack that forced the decision of living in an assisted living facility. Till the day she died she was very lucid and was a very lively and funny person to talk with.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My dear, beloved grandmother, who passed away the 1st of February last year, would have still been kicking around her own house at 98 years old, had she not had a heart attack that forced the decision of living in an assisted living facility. Till the day she died she was very lucid and was a very lively and funny person to talk with.
My FIL and MIK worked until they reached retirement age. They have paid their taxes and should have the right to all healthcare that is available to them. Perhaps treatment should be withdrawn for people who haven't worked and have been a drain in society, or terminally ill people, or new immigrants, or even returning expats who haven't paid 'X' years of taxes...where will it end.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:02 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

My FIL and MIK worked until they reached retirement age. They have paid their taxes and should have the right to all healthcare that is available to them. Perhaps treatment should be withdrawn for people who haven't worked and have been a drain in society, or terminally ill people, or new immigrants, or even returning expats who haven't paid 'X' years of taxes...where will it end.
Well, I like that. Just let me die of a treatable illness instead of keeping me alive to contribute to the UK as I have to the US for 25 years.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That is the way it is in the US but end of life treatment is currently about 25% of the Medicare expenditures and pushing the US cost of health care way above other countries.

If something isn't done that allows the patients and patient's families to make medical decisions instead of the medical profession, then maybe Paul Ryan's plan to push about 50% of the cost of Medicare to Medicare recipient's is the only viable solution.

A good example of that is the brain dead child where her mother is making medical decisions instead of medical personal.
But it is not just Medicare paying the costs. Some of those costs are borne by the patient's supplemental healthcare insurance and out-of-pocket costs.

If I am 75, diagnosed once again with breast cancer, am advised that surgery and chemo will give me at least another 15 years to live, I'll be damned if I will allow some medical professional or healthcare personnel tell me that I am too old for the treatment.

I can see if a person is bedridden, in their 80's and needs to have a hip replacement. Why do it? They are not walking now (fell while someone helped them out of bed to change sheets) so a hip replacement is useless. Or being listed for a kidney transplant when you are in your 80's and have a heart condition.

Each situation is different. I can't see a medical reason why the child who is declared brain dead should be kept alive for more than 6 months. Or the pregnant woman who is being kept alive because of the fetus and the fetus as been shown to be adnormal.

Each situation should be judged individually by the patient, the patient's family and the medical community.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Well, I like that. Just let me die of a treatable illness instead of keeping me alive to contribute to the UK as I have to the US for 25 years.
As opposed to not treating someone who has contributed for 40 years. Of course I am not suggesting people should not receive treatment...merely pointing out what could happen if healthcare in the UK become selective. This is sounding more and more like the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.