Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OECD Report: Doing Better for Children

OECD Report: Doing Better for Children

Old Sep 1st 2009, 1:24 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default OECD Report: Doing Better for Children

New report out today - sorry I don't know which forum to put it in, as it covers most of the countries listed. The link to Chapter 2 gives comparisons between countries.

http://www.oecd.org/document/12/0,33..._1_1_1,00.html

Here is the UK highlight:

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/21/6/43590251.pdf
Old Sep 1st 2009, 2:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OECD Report: Doing Better for Children

The should have included Drug use by children. I bet the US would have been off the charts. The kids might not drink as much alcohol here, but they seem to know where to get the Pot and other illegal substances.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:40 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
New report out today - sorry I don't know which forum to put it in, as it covers most of the countries listed. The link to Chapter 2 gives comparisons between countries.

http://www.oecd.org/document/12/0,33..._1_1_1,00.html

Here is the UK highlight:

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/21/6/43590251.pdf
I saw that some of the findings of this report -in particular those indicating that British teenagers are the pissheads of Europe - have already been picked up on by the UK press and reported in a manner that suggests that the UK is the delinquent parent of the western world. However, I had a closer look at the pdf chapter 2 linked to above and did some rudimentary <cough> analysis of my own. Chapter 2 includes bar charts for the 20 criteria studied (plus a couple relating to migrant children which I didn't look at closely) and I found that the UK is placed in the top (i.e. good) third in four of these criteria, in the middle third in nine criteria, and in the bottom third in seven. Overall the average UK placing in all these criteria was 16th - out of 30 countries in the OECD. But I guess UK COMPLETELY AVERAGE AMONG DEVELOPED NATIONS isn't a sufficiently dramatic headline and doesn't allow Daily Mail readers to indulge in their bizarre fantasies about how Britain is somehow akin to Somalia/Afghanistan/Zimbabwe rolled into one.

Last edited by elfman; Sep 2nd 2009 at 1:42 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I saw that some of the findings of this report -in particular those indicating that British teenagers are the pissheads of Europe - have already been picked up on by the UK press and reported in a manner that suggests that the UK is the delinquent parent of the western world. However, I had a closer look at the pdf chapter 2 linked to above and did some rudimentary <cough> analysis of my own. Chapter 2 includes bar charts for the 20 criteria studied (plus a couple relating to migrant children which I didn't look at closely) and I found that the UK is placed in the top (i.e. good) third in four of these criteria, in the middle third in nine criteria, and in the bottom third in seven. Overall the average UK placing in all these criteria was 16th - out of 30 countries in the OECD. But I guess UK COMPLETELY AVERAGE AMONG DEVELOPED NATIONS isn't a sufficiently dramatic headline and doesn't allow Daily Mail readers to indulge in their bizarre fantasies about how Britain is somehow akin to Somalia/Afghanistan/Zimbabwe rolled into one.
Yep there was a ridiculous front page headline in the Daily Mail about this today "A Nation of Bad Parents". Scary that people believe the crap thats written in papers.