View Poll Results: Has Obama done a good job?
Yes.
50.00%
No.
40.48%
Who?
0%
I don't care.
9.52%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Obama - Yay Or Nay

Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obama - Yay Or Nay

Originally Posted by Boiler
He promised change, I think if there had been change a lot would have been forgiven, but it is the same old same old, just different snouts in the trough.
I can think of several examples of change, can't you? Off the top of my head ...

*Healthcare reform
*Repeal of don't ask, don't tell
*New financial regulation
*Reduction in our presence in wars overseas

It doesn't really hold water to say there's been no change. A better reason (IMO) would be to point out that he seems unable to convince others in the government to support his initiatives, leading to a lesser ability to get things done. But that's a bit different.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

He promised change, I think if there had been change a lot would have been forgiven, but it is the same old same old, just different snouts in the trough.
And the Tea Party lot will bring change too? I think not.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

At least he stuck to something vague and nebulous. He could have promised something really stupid...

"Read my lips, no more taxes"
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 5:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
I can think of several examples of change, can't you? Off the top of my head ...

*Healthcare reform

It doesn't really hold water to say there's been no change. A better reason (IMO) would be to point out that he seems unable to convince others in the government to support his initiatives, leading to a lesser ability to get things done. But that's a bit different.
Here's another of Obama's great successes that is surprisingly often missed. from the list.

Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
At least he stuck to something vague and nebulous. He could have promised something really stupid...

"Read my lips, no more taxes"
The TP lot are promising a new version of that in the form of Grover Norquist's Anti-Tax pledge. Of course they'll immediately forget about it when it benefits them if and when (hopefully never) they get real power.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

*Healthcare reform

Admittedly I do get too much of my news info from The Daily Show, but you might want to check up on all except one of those points. How long did it take to get rid of don't ask, don't tell?
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Admittedly I do get too much of my news info from The Daily Show, but you might want to check up on all except one of those points. How long did it take to get rid of don't ask, don't tell?
It's clear we're not going to agree, so I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

It's clear we're not going to agree, so I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you.
*Healthcare reform
Nuff said

You can look up implementation of Dodd Frank yourself

2 more since he took office, I lose count.

PS I can also slag off most of the Republicans as well, one of the problems the US has is no credible leadership.

The Ostrich approach does not really work long term.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Obama - Yay Or Nay

What I don't understand is why there are so many middle class that supports the republican party since the republican parties only plan is cut taxes and spending and this will likely raise taxes and/or reduce benefits for the middle class.

If the republicans plan to cut trillions from medicare and social security is implemented, those that are now paying will likely not get any tax cuts but will have significantly reduced benefits when they retire.

If the republicans do away with the department of education, that will eliminate about $80 billion of annual grants to states which will likely shift the cost to state and local governments resulting in the raising those taxes. If republicans reduce medicaid payments as proposed, states will need to take up a larger share of the burden which will again raise state and local taxes further. For the rich this is great since few claim their primary residence in states that have income tax.

Although republicans resist doing away with subsidies to oil companies claiming that would be a tax increase, many republicans have proposed a flat tax including Cain's 9,9,9 plan that are tax revenue neutral but in each of the plans, the tax burden is shifted from the rich to the middle class raising their taxes.

When republicans claim they want to cut taxes for the rich and corporations, the only ones left to pay for those tax cuts are the middle class.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 23rd 2011 at 11:46 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Ostrich approach does not really work long term.
My sentiments exactly.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Michael
What I don't understand is why there are so many middle class that supports the republican party since the republican parties only plan is cut taxes and spending and this will likely raise taxes and/or reduce benefits for the middle class.
The obvious answer is they want to privatize everything. Private schools, private medical care (with little or no subsidy) and minimal oversight of environmental issues and that's just the beginning. Handing the running of what is left over to the individual States will create 50 little empires paid for through taxation not to mention the kickbacks they'll get from business that donated to them in the first place. You'll end up with a patchwork quilt of separate State laws and no national standards. They go on about "job killer" laws and ideas yet turning it all over to the States would result in a mass confusion and tangle of laws and standards that companies and individuals would have to negotiate. It would have to be the biggest own goal ever IMO.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:00 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Obama - Yay Or Nay

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
...what if someone like Rick Perry won instead?
Is he the one that speaks with a regional accent, often wears red ties with a white shirt, insists that firearms are essential for personal safety, is closely tied to an energy company, is a christian family man, wears a cowboy hat in Texas and encourages people who chew tobacco to vote for him?

Had we not seen them in a room together you might think them all the same person, but as we have perhaps they are Russian dolls. If Silvio Berlusconi ran for the Republicans he would point out they are all the cast from Brokeback Mountain and ergo actually massively repressed gays.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:31 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Obama - Yay Or Nay

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I recall near the end of Bush's first term despite all the crap he was doing, all his supporters saying "you don't change horses mid stream" etc etc.

I am fully expecting the very same people to say "we must change horses mid stream" etc etc.
You see I’m just not convinced you should vote either way based on a horse analogy.
Originally Posted by zargof
...at this point I'd even take Chelsea.
You’re either desperate or you have an eye for talent.
Originally Posted by Michael
He thinks a modern economy can return to the times when people traded silver and gold shinny pieces to barter for goods
I thought women where showing us the way and trading recipes would become the new currency?
Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex
I wish someone would keep repeating that employment levels for college graduates have been completely stable over this whole thing.
It has climbed a bit hasn’t it (5% where as it used to be 2.5%). Good observation about new world v.s. old world attitudes to employment. In the UK graduate unemployment is very high and everyone wants experience in this and that, no one wants to give the young people a chance.

The reverse should be true IMO, companies should be looking for energetic and ambitious employees to swell their ranks with. The kind of people who can grow companies even in a very difficult business environment.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Brit3964
The obvious answer is they want to privatize everything. Private schools, private medical care (with little or no subsidy) and minimal oversight of environmental issues and that's just the beginning. Handing the running of what is left over to the individual States will create 50 little empires paid for through taxation not to mention the kickbacks they'll get from business that donated to them in the first place. You'll end up with a patchwork quilt of separate State laws and no national standards. They go on about "job killer" laws and ideas yet turning it all over to the States would result in a mass confusion and tangle of laws and standards that companies and individuals would have to negotiate. It would have to be the biggest own goal ever IMO.
That was how the States were set up.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

That was how the States were set up.
The Federal Government was born out of the Constitution and was intended as a system of checks and balances and as a way of coordinating rules and regulations that benefit all 50 States in such areas as national defense and immigration for example.

IMO the TP lot want to return to the pre-Federal Government era.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.