Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

NTSB Trying To Ban All Driver Cell-Phone Use

NTSB Trying To Ban All Driver Cell-Phone Use

Old Apr 4th 2012, 3:13 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NTSB Trying To Ban All Driver Cell-Phone Use

I don't have a problem with a total ban - some of us remember (and miss) the days when in the car meant out of touch.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 3:39 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I don't have a problem with a total ban - some of us remember (and miss) the days when in the car meant out of touch.
No problems here, too. I will happily ignore a ringing phone in the car until I find a car park to pull into to return the call. I certainly won't initiate a call while I'm driving.

I haven't done a rigorous study on it but I'm sure a good eight times out of every ten when I'm cut off, it's by someone yakking away on a mobile. Really, is anything that urgent? Especially when you're pulling out of a quiet side street where you can easily park for a while to talk? I doubt it.

Jim - sorry to hear about your folks, I wish them a speedy recovery.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 3:51 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
It is somewhat ironic that since I posted the link, I have learned that my Mother, along with my 2 Brothers were involved in car accident, on Saturday Evening, on my native Merseyside.

The other driver was on the Cell-Phone (or Mobile) and was also smoking a Cigarette. The driver pulled out in front of my Brother, who could not avoid a collision, resulting in injuries to all three of my family members.

His car, a Citroen Berlingo, was written-off by his Insurance Comany due to a bent chassis and damaged gearbox,

The Bruises are now beginning to show and they are also aching pretty bad. They were treated on scene, by Paramedics and recieved further treatment at hospital, today.
I hope your family are all ok.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:12 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Broken Ribs, by the sounds of it. They have been given Pills and told to get plenty of rest.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Jim
Sorry to hear that Jim, wish them a speedy and a painless a recovery as possible.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We were coming down the freeway here tonight (I was rear left seat passenger) and I glanced across as we were passing a chevy compact of some sort....4 kids in it all on their phones, and the driver was holding her phone across to show the front seat passenger what was on the screen......

I read somewhere about a device that can block cellphones in cars travelling above a certain speed. Sounds like a cracking idea. Wonder if they can make a movie theater sized version (without the speed limit!)......................
Where that one tends to fall down is that it also blocks cellphones for passenger use, not just the driver.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:25 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
Where that one tends to fall down is that it also blocks cellphones for passenger use, not just the driver.
An added bonus. There is nothing worse than being forced to hear one half of someone's inane conversation (usually at an unnecessarily loud volume for an enclosed space) when one is giving someone a lift.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:15 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with the Sultan
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:17 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

They should ban the damn things. I am shocked by how much utterly awful driving I see over here from people using mobile phones, even texting while on the highway. The cops don't do enough to clamp down on reckless driving in the US in general. We need some British or German style traffic enforcement to crack down on wannabe tough guys who think they're invincible behind the wheel.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:31 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
They should ban the damn things. I am shocked by how much utterly awful driving I see over here from people using mobile phones, even texting while on the highway. The cops don't do enough to clamp down on reckless driving in the US in general. We need some British or German style traffic enforcement to crack down on wannabe tough guys who think they're invincible behind the wheel.
That and the people who have a map opened up on their steering wheel steaming up the motorway ...

Having said that, back home my mum worked with a woman who was married to a lorry driver who once saw a bloke having a wank on the way up the M2
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:39 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Having said that, back home my mum worked with a woman who was married to a lorry driver who once saw a bloke having a wank on the way up the M2
Maybe he was in love with the woman on his GPS.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 2:41 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Maybe he was in love with the woman on his GPS.
This was a while back. Could have been the bird doing the traffic report, though ...

Or perhaps that's what the Queen song "I'm In Love With My Car" is all about
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:12 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

No problems here, too. I will happily ignore a ringing phone in the car until I find a car park to pull into to return the call. I certainly won't initiate a call while I'm driving.

I haven't done a rigorous study on it but I'm sure a good eight times out of every ten when I'm cut off, it's by someone yakking away on a mobile. Really, is anything that urgent? Especially when you're pulling out of a quiet side street where you can easily park for a while to talk? I doubt it.

Jim - sorry to hear about your folks, I wish them a speedy recovery.
Last Friday as I was driving to work there was a strange scene at the intersection I came up to. A logging truck was stopped there opposite me at the light with firetrucks, police all over and an ambulance. I couldn't figure out what was up, the truck looked fine, no car beside it or in front of it, but......some of the ambulance personnel were at the back draping a tarp... Turns out a Toyota SUV driver had run into the back of the truck and 4 or 5 logs had pushed thru his windshield........... Last I knew, the accident was under investigation, no drug or health issue had been found. I would be willing to bet, that since the truck was stopped at the intersection the driver of the SUV was on the phone and realized, too late that the way they load the logs around here (a pet peeve of mine) meant that the rear of the truck and its load, was not limited to the boundary of the actual end of the semi trailer.
Attached Thumbnails NTSB Trying To Ban All Driver Cell-Phone Use-imagesca5y03hi.jpg  
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:24 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Last Friday as I was driving to work there was a strange scene at the intersection I came up to. A logging truck was stopped there opposite me at the light with firetrucks, police all over and an ambulance. I couldn't figure out what was up, the truck looked fine, no car beside it or in front of it, but......some of the ambulance personnel were at the back draping a tarp... Turns out a Toyota SUV driver had run into the back of the truck and 4 or 5 logs had pushed thru his windshield........... Last I knew, the accident was under investigation, no drug or health issue had been found. I would be willing to bet, that since the truck was stopped at the intersection the driver of the SUV was on the phone and realized, too late that the way they load the logs around here (a pet peeve of mine) meant that the rear of the truck and its load, was not limited to the boundary of the actual end of the semi trailer.
That's not a nice way to go ...
Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:06 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

That and the people who have a map opened up on their steering wheel steaming up the motorway ...

I hope he wasn't driving a convertible with the top down? The M2 isn't that long of a motorway either. I guess he couldn't resist the urge until he got home?
Old Apr 5th 2012, 5:52 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I hope he wasn't driving a convertible with the top down? The M2 isn't that long of a motorway either. I guess he couldn't resist the urge until he got home?
I don't remember the finer points - this was an anecdote related to me in the late 90s

It did seem strange to me that he couldn't just wait, though. I mean, we all get bored on a drive from time to time but I can't say it ever occurred to me that it might be a good idea to have a quick one off the wrist to help get over the boredom ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.