Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Now the pat-downs are going to get really thorough . . .

Now the pat-downs are going to get really thorough . . .

Old Jul 7th 2011, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: Now the pat-downs are going to get really thorough . . .

Originally Posted by Bob
Because in the real world, it's not actually that easy to detonate explosives that would be powerful enough to do any real damage on a plane, never mind something that wouldn't be pretty much completely mooted by being absorbed by a human body that's holding it.

Would be a messy laundry bill for those sitting around the person though, but it wouldn't do much damage except make a statement.
Without sounding sarcastic, this is reassuring. I hadn't thought about the body cushioning the explosion (e-e-w-w-w-w). As for the big laundry bill - if one survives such a thing, one should be happy to pay it!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by N1cky
The inconsistency of it all bugs me. Last year flying internally from Boston to LA we dropped our bags without anyone checking our id, despite me thrusting it under her nose.

We flew out of SF with all the body scanner things, they don't use them on kids so my daughter walked through the normal scanner, and I had to follow her as she wasn't allowed to go through it on her own. It was next to the body scanner, and she's 9 not 2 she could have stood and waited. (Not that I'm complaining that I didn't have to use the scanner).

Why do we have to take our shoes off in the US, but not in the UK???
My OH knew a man in the UK who worked for the customs people - apparently in the UK you have people who, for lack of a better word, are profilers, and know what to look for. My understanding is that these people can find out more about you in only a few minutes just by talking to you than you can imagine. Besides, the shoe bomber scared the cr*p out of everybody here. Too bad they don't use these intuitive types over here - if they taught them properly, they'd probably stop a lot of the shenanigans that go on at our airports!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
What tosh. Despising the useless TSA means I am in fear?
Nothing could be further from the truth. The chances of me being involved in a terrorist incident on an aircraft are negligible.

But keep telling yourself that the TSA is making you safer. What an infantile view of the world.
That's not what I said......
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
That's not what I said......
You've been trolled.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:32 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

No, you haven't. I only skimmed the thread. Apologies offered.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:37 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Why do we have to take our shoes off in the US, but not in the UK???
We always had to in Heathrow, if I recall correctly.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:42 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
We always had to in Heathrow, if I recall correctly.
We flew out of Heathrow this time and didn't have to, although I remember we had to 4 years ago when we moved out here.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:16 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

They may have given that up, then. I last flew from the UK in December 2009.

I remember one time, must have been summer 2007 or so - security was tripled and everyone had to go through multiple scanners as well as do the shoe/belt/etc removal. We had gotten to the airport so early that when we checked in at the front desk they couldn't even tell us what gate to go to yet. By the time we got through security they were doing last call on our flight and we were quite literally running for our plane. And we had also been begging people in the security queue ahead of us to let us pass them because our flight was leaving. (And everyone did!)
Old Jul 7th 2011, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
No, you haven't. I only skimmed the thread. Apologies offered.
Accepted......thanks!
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:01 am
Just Joined

UltraViolet007 is an unknown quantity at this point

To quote Steven Seagal from Under Seige 2 - "Tits to die for."
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:24 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

In the UK they seem to make people take their shoes off in every other queue.

UK is worse. You cannot refuse the naked scanner (if you do you won't be allowed to fly). I cannot remember the rule about kids, could be they aren't exempt here either.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:25 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
In the UK they seem to make people take their shoes off in every other queue.

UK is worse. You cannot refuse the naked scanner (if you do you won't be allowed to fly). I cannot remember the rule about kids, could be they aren't exempt here either.
Flying out of Heathrow last month we had the normal scanners and didn't hae to take our shoes off
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:28 am
Account Closed

Flying out of Heathrow last month we had the normal scanners and didn't hae to take our shoes off
In the UK the naked scanner is only used if you are selected at random, it's not used on everyone. Can you imagine the radiation risk to air crew if they had to go through it nearly every day?

Do they make you use it every time in the US then or else have a 'thorough' pat-down?
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Squirrel
In the UK the naked scanner is only used if you are selected at random, it's not used on everyone. Can you imagine the radiation risk to air crew if they had to go through it nearly every day?

Do they make you use it every time in the US then or else have a 'thorough' pat-down?
They were making everyone use it at SFO last month, except kids and someone with the kid.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 4:36 am
Account Closed

They were making everyone use it at SFO last month, except kids and someone with the kid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.