November Elections

Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: November Elections

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Actually her line was logically correct. Your previous comments on the remark tell me you don't understand the context or you choose to ignore it to try and score points.

Politically, it was ammunition to her opponents, of course.

Well us smart people clearly like her.

Maybe he can try again now he's in DC.
No, the entire line, with context is as follows: "You've heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don't know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention—it's about diet, not diabetes. It's going to be very, very exciting. But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy. 9 March, 2010

"...away from the fog of the controversy." is not such a qualifier that it makes the dominant portion of the sentence any less stupid. In my opinion, anyway, and we're finding out lots about what else is in it besides free preventive care.

The Rev. Klingenschmitt isn't going to be in DC unless he goes there as a tourist. He's going to the Colorado House. Probably should be going into the Colorado looney bin - or is he just getting out of that?
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
No, the entire line, with context is as follows: "You've heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don't know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention—it's about diet, not diabetes. It's going to be very, very exciting. But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy. 9 March, 2010

"...away from the fog of the controversy." is not such a qualifier that it makes the dominant portion of the sentence any less stupid. In my opinion, anyway, and we're finding out lots about what else is in it besides free preventive care.
The context is the background as to what the remark meant. I guess you really haven't studied it.

The Rev. Klingenschmitt isn't going to be in DC unless he goes there as a tourist. He's going to the Colorado House. Probably should be going into the Colorado looney bin - or is he just getting out of that?
Oh ok, that's too bad.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Context, Schmontext...it's a wonderful line and has been put to great use by smarter people than either of us.

Are you sure you can't find anyone else to represent you? She's the best gift to the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee since Tip O'Neil retired. Wait...I shouldn't be encouraging you to look elsewhere.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Context, Schmontext...it's a wonderful line and has been put to great use by smarter people than either of us.
Definitely a politically deaf remark that gave her opponents as lot of mileage. But as I said, if you take the trouble to study the context, she was logically correct.

Are you sure you can't find anyone else to represent you? She's the best gift to the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee since Tip O'Neil retired. Wait...I shouldn't be encouraging you to look elsewhere.
I guess she's doing something right then.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The real tragedy is that instead of focusing on providing a benefit for the 30 million who were uninsured, the Democrats decided to rewrite the entire system for 320 million people - and they've made an absolute dog's dinner out of it. That is why repeal of Obamacare consistently polls as the number 2 issue, after the economy, as concerns of the people of this country.
If you consider protection for people that were previously uninsurable through no fault of their own, protection against getting a person's policy cancelled, protection against a person's premiums going though the ceiling, protection for maximum out of pocket expenses, and/or protection of deductibles and/or copays skyrocketing because someone got sick as well as the changes in Medicare, then yes 320 million people were affected.

If you consider that Bush's Medicare reform was bankrupting Medicare and would have become insolvent before 2015 but was extended by 8 years because of ACA by reducing the subsidies to companies that provided "Medicare Advantage" plans and also eliminated plans that had massive complaints due to not treating patients, not covering all procedures covered under Traditional Medicare, and dumping sick patients back on Traditional Medicare, then yes ACA did change that also. If you consider filling the Medicare prescription drug donut hole at 50% free from the pharama companies and the government started paying for a percentage of pre-donut hole drug prescriptions, that was also ACA.

And if you consider medical inflation rose at the slowest rate in 50 years allowing Medicare life expectancy to be extended even more.

Cost slowdown improves Medicare's life expectancy; Obamacare credited

If you are a conservative and wanted Medicare to go bankrupt as quickly as possible so that it can be privatized so that the government can give retirees half of what the government currently pays for traditional Medicare per retiree to purchase health insurance on an unregulated open market and saving the government a hundreds of billions of dollars per year, then ACA is really a bad program.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 11:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
That good huh?
Seth Meyers Pokes Fun at Governor LePage on “Late Night” Segment [VIDEO]

This is a small nugget on the chap
Old Nov 6th 2014, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

"...away from the fog of the controversy." is not such a qualifier that it makes the dominant portion of the sentence any less stupid.
It was the entire point of why she said it. Politicians and media had been saying so much untrue nonsense that the only way the the people would really know what was in it was if it was passed. The only reason I've responded here is that it gives me the opportunity to express the following.

The best thing about it is that as soon as someone brings it up, you know that they are either unwilling to have a debate based on facts, or too stubborn to inform themselves about what they debate about; rendering any debate with them as pointless, so those discussions are easy to avoid.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
It was the entire point of why she said it. Politicians and media had been saying so much untrue nonsense that the only way the the people would really know what was in it was if it was passed. The only reason I've responded here is that it gives me the opportunity to express the following.

The best thing about it is that as soon as someone brings it up, you know that they are either unwilling to have a debate based on facts, or too stubborn to inform themselves about what they debate about; rendering any debate with them as pointless, so those discussions are easy to avoid.
Here's another headline that FOX News can use as a sound bite to blame on Obamacare.

Federal Eye: More than 25,000 federal workers to lose their health plans next year

Of course that doesn't matter that has always occurred and that for 2009, 61,000 lost their health plans pre ACA at open enrolment during the end of Bush's term in office.

Affected workers will have the option of switching to other plans within the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program, but the number of disruptions will reach the highest level since more than 61,000 enrollees had to change plans in 2009. Insurance providers drop out of the federal workforce’s health program every year, so this year’s changes are nothing new. Companies generally leave the network because they have not attracted enough enrollees to justify administrative costs, according to OPM. Next year, five regional providers will leave the program, but the network will pick up five others in their place. The changes will take effect when open enrollment begins on Nov. 10. In 2013, only two providers left the system, forcing about 3,000 federal employees to switch to other plans.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Michael, this thread is starting to fade. Please give us your thoughts on whether Obama is "f***ing everything up" as the unnamed Congressional aide maintains, with his secret letter to the Iranians; or whether it's a savvy play on the old saw: "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." Is he falling into an Iranian trap that will lose us the UAE and Saudis as best buddies - since the Iranians would probably do what they can to help Iraq stop ISIS with or without our input.

Last edited by FlaviusAetius; Nov 7th 2014 at 2:35 am.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Cornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond reputeCornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond reputeCornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond reputeCornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond reputeCornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond reputeCornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond reputeCornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond reputeCornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond reputeCornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond reputeCornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond reputeCornelius Suttree has a reputation beyond repute

I am just stopping in to say that I did my part in North Carolina and VOTED OUT KAY HAGAN! Woo! What a nice surprise. Based on the polling, I thought for sure she was going to hang on.

What a glorious night Tuesday was for me. A bunch of my conservative brethren back in Devon were calling me to say that there are even celebrations across Tory England at this landslide.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornelius Suttree

What a glorious night Tuesday was for me.

And what's your opinion on science and it's place in the 21st Century?
What do you think of Inhofe?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 6:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Do the republicans have enough in congress to override vetos?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 6:42 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Do the republicans have enough in congress to override vetos?
No. Not without democrat votes.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 6:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Always the budget option.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 7:06 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Always the budget option.
If Obama vetoes a passed budget who gets blamed, he or both houses.

I suspect it will depend on whether you watch MSNBC or FOX.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.