Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Not Letting Distance Drive You Crazy

Not Letting Distance Drive You Crazy

Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:17 pm
Britcentric.

Dozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really nice
Default Not Letting Distance Drive You Crazy

Hey all!

Sorry, I did do a search for "dealing with distance," but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Simply put, for those of you who are in relationships and are separated by thousands of miles and a several-hour time difference, what things do you do, think or say that help you cope?

Sure, I have nice texts to look at, sweet emails to re-read and awesome physical things (collage, clothing, aftershave, etc) that remind me of a great time, but these items also cause pangs of sadness and cause me to me miss him even more.

So, what helps you guys? I don't know if I'm looking for an answer for myself, or if I am just trying to take a consensus, but I would like to know what sorts of things bring you separated loves comfort.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Letting Distance Drive You Crazy

Originally Posted by Dozy Yank
Hey all!

Sorry, I did do a search for "dealing with distance," but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Simply put, for those of you who are in relationships and are separated by thousands of miles and a several-hour time difference, what things do you do, think or say that help you cope?

Sure, I have nice texts to look at, sweet emails to re-read and awesome physical things (collage, clothing, aftershave, etc) that remind me of a great time, but these items also cause pangs of sadness and cause me to me miss him even more.

So, what helps you guys? I don't know if I'm looking for an answer for myself, or if I am just trying to take a consensus, but I would like to know what sorts of things bring you separated loves comfort.

Thanks!
Webcams. Talk all you want, for free, and see each other as well.

We used Windows Live Messenger or AOL messenger or Yahoo messenger. You just need broadband at both ends - and webcam/mikes.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:22 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all!

Thanks!
Talk to each other every single day on the phone. Make it your first priority.

If you keep in touch with the little things, the big things take care of themselves. It keeps you grounded and reminds you why you love them. It's also nice to hear that they miss you too.

My husband and I spent six years in different countries and never missed a day.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:25 pm
Britcentric.

Dozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really niceDozy Yank is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tracym
Webcams. Talk all you want, for free, and see each other as well.

We used Windows Live Messenger or AOL messenger or Yahoo messenger. You just need broadband at both ends - and webcam/mikes.
We do that via WLM, too, and I'm going to look into Skype, too for just talking (sometimes the webcams don't connect the best depending on where he is).

Considering what I have and how we talk and all, I think I may just be acting unreasonable. Maybe there's really not more than what we're/I'm doing...
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Catgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant future

Also try keeping busy. Take on a new hoby, read, anything to kill the time.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

We do that via WLM, too, and I'm going to look into Skype, too for just talking (sometimes the webcams don't connect the best depending on where he is).

Considering what I have and how we talk and all, I think I may just be acting unreasonable. Maybe there's really not more than what we're/I'm doing...
I think it just sucks.

All you can do, I think, is keep in contact as best you can. Talk about the little things, try to share your lives. And perhaps talk about the future things you will do, and make plans - if looking at reminders of past events is hard for you.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:28 pm
Britcentric.

Originally Posted by gingerert
Talk to each other every single day on the phone. Make it your first priority.

If you keep in touch with the little things, the big things take care of themselves. It keeps you grounded and reminds you why you love them. It's also nice to hear that they miss you too.

My husband and I spent six years in different countries and never missed a day.
We speak or communicate in some way daily. Live phone conversations aren't fiscally the best for us at the moment, but we try. Texting, occasional vmails, etc.

The best thing to hear is that I'm loved and missed, but then I sit around and stew and just get sad.

SIX YEARS? Wow, I'm clapping for you guys right now, really.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Me here, him in the UK first 3 1/2 YEARS of marriage-he would call and wake me every morning,
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:29 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

If I woke my SO up every morning, we'd be lucky to survive the week!
I think it just sucks.
+1. Sorry. Did it for a couple of years and it was way too much. Got the ultimatum and made the leap - which turned out to be a great decision. <3
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:30 pm
Britcentric.

I think it just sucks.

All you can do, I think, is keep in contact as best you can. Talk about the little things, try to share your lives. And perhaps talk about the future things you will do, and make plans - if looking at reminders of past events is hard for you.
Thank you. I really feel lame now, as I'm not sure what I was trying to get out of posting this.

Plus, I go to the local UK import store and get foods and tea. It's like all of this stuff is comforting and upsetting at the same time. Maybe I'm just being emo, but that makes sense to me.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We speak or communicate in some way daily. Live phone conversations aren't fiscally the best for us at the moment, but we try. Texting, occasional vmails, etc.

The best thing to hear is that I'm loved and missed, but then I sit around and stew and just get sad.

SIX YEARS? Wow, I'm clapping for you guys right now, really.
If you get Vonage, you can call him on a land line all you like for free.

4 years apart for us - with some visits.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:31 pm
Britcentric.

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Me here, him in the UK first 3 1/2 YEARS of marriage-he would call and wake me every morning,
OOOOOHHHHHH.....
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:32 pm
Britcentric.

If you get Vonage, you can call him on a land line all you like for free.

4 years apart for us - with some visits.
Wow, four years... and thank you, I will look into Vonage.

You guys are all so helpful and supportive, I think that most of us are dealing with things that few of our immediate friends and usual supporters can relate to.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Wow - that took a long time!

Thank you. I really feel lame now, as I'm not sure what I was trying to get out of posting this.

Plus, I go to the local UK import store and get foods and tea. It's like all of this stuff is comforting and upsetting at the same time. Maybe I'm just being emo, but that makes sense to me.
Don't feel bad - it is really difficult. Comforting and upsetting together makes sense to me too
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow, four years... and thank you, I will look into Vonage.

You guys are all so helpful and supportive, I think that most of us are dealing with things that few of our immediate friends and usual supporters can relate to.
Just to clarify - when I said for free - Vonage is a broadband phone service, about $25 per month - designed to replace your regular phone line.

But all you pay is the $25 - calls to the UK landlines (not mobiles) are then a free call.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.