British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   non vs. none (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/non-vs-none-920644/)

Eric S Jan 2nd 2019 7:38 pm

non vs. none

A question for you Brits out there (I'm American):

In the US, we would say, for example, "non resident". But I've seen some Brits use "none resident". Is that a UK thing?

Thanks.
- Eric S.

BEVS Jan 2nd 2019 7:46 pm

Re: non vs. none

No. Likely just a spelling error or simple slip of the fingers

Non is a prefix
None is a pronoun.

Eric S Jan 2nd 2019 7:52 pm

Well, that's what I first thought. But then I kept seeing it in other places.

- Eric S.

Novocastrian Jan 2nd 2019 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eric S (Post 12615349)
Well, that's what I first thought. But then I kept seeing it in other places.

- Eric S.

Most people under about 60 these days are are illiterate. C'est la vie.

robin1234 Jan 2nd 2019 8:08 pm

It could also be that, in some circumstances, autocomplete doesn't like the look of "non" as a word so amends it to "none." Personally, I've got into the habit of eyeballing my text to try to ensure that stupid misspellings haven't been introduced by the machine, but it's easy to miss some.

Talking of young illiterate people, one I see sometimes is when people write "tonne" when they mean "ton."

macliam Jan 2nd 2019 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12615360)
It could also be that, in some circumstances, autocomplete doesn't like the look of "non" as a word so amends it to "none." Personally, I've got into the habit of eyeballing my text to try to ensure that stupid misspellings haven't been introduced by the machine, but it's easy to miss some.

Talking of young illiterate people, one I see sometimes is when people write "tonne" when they mean "ton."

Or do they? You're presuming imperial, I'm suggesting metric.......

However, there are certainly problems with you're/your, they're/their/there, it's/its, lose/loose, etc.

robin1234 Jan 2nd 2019 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12615366)
Or do they? You're presuming imperial, I'm suggesting metric.......

I've seen things like "A tonne of my friends are going .." or similar..

Dorothy Jan 2nd 2019 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12615368)

A metric tonne of friends per chance?

Hotscot Jan 2nd 2019 9:01 pm

I've noticed an increasing rate of typos on online news sources..Telegraph, Guardian etc...severe lack of editor oversight these days.

And reading The Scotsman, Glasgow Herald headlines...they just seem so parochial now which makes me wary of moving back.

Last week the Herald had a headline, '1 in 3 Scots, a clear majority..blah, blah...' also in another article the writer used 'to' instead of 'too', repeatedly.

I gave them a good tutting...

macliam Jan 2nd 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12615368)

Let's be fair, there is so much wrong with that expression that spelling is a minor issue......;)

BuckinghamshireBoy Jan 2nd 2019 9:59 pm

Nun of the above? :getcoat:

Guindalf Jan 3rd 2019 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12615354)
Most people under about 60 these days are are illiterate. C'est la vie.

The rest fail to proof-read their posts!

civilservant Jan 3rd 2019 12:28 pm

I've noticed an increasing rate of typos on online news sources..Telegraph, Guardian etc...severe lack of editor oversight these days.
Politico is appalling for that. Not just typos but missing words in a sentence. It's like it wasn't even edited.

Hotscot Jan 3rd 2019 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12615660)
Politico is appalling for that. Not just typos but missing words in a sentence. It's like it wasn't even edited.

I expect better of the UK sources though.
After all...America and all that...

Novocastrian Jan 3rd 2019 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 12615502)
The rest fail to proof-read their posts!

Fair cop guv.

vespucci Jan 3rd 2019 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Eric S (Post 12615332)
A question for you Brits out there (I'm American):

In the US, we would say, for example, "non resident". But I've seen some Brits use "none resident". Is that a UK thing?

Thanks.
- Eric S.

Isn't this wrong? The only time I have ever written "non" has been in French class, otherwise I've always written non- followed by something else.

tonrob Jan 3rd 2019 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by vespucci (Post 12615840)
Isn't this wrong? The only time I have ever written "non" has been in French class, otherwise I've always written non- followed by something else.

What you have highlighted is correct. I also usually hyphenate in this scenario, so “non-resident”, but I don’t think it needs the hyphen to render it correct.

robin1234 Jan 4th 2019 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 12615968)

What you have highlighted is correct. I also usually hyphenate in this scenario, so “non-resident”, but I don’t think it needs the hyphen to render it correct.

Again, to get back to the devices we use, their foibles, and the effect it has on our submitted text - on my iPad, at least (maybe different on other tablets or other iPads) the hyphen is on another keyboard from the letters. So, if feeling lazy, I sometimes dispense with hyphens. I notice they are never supplied by the spellchecker.

durham_lad Jan 4th 2019 3:42 pm

Noone seems able to spell these days ;)

On another forum I frequent one of the regulars (and a real PITA) used “noone” so frequently instead of “no one” that the admins created an account with member name “noone” and each time he would say things like “noone uses libraries much these days” then his post would be quoted by “noone” saying something like “You talking to me?”. This went on for years and he never seemed to notice. Eventually he stopped posting on the site.

robin1234 Jan 4th 2019 5:19 pm

Well, along similar lines, two posts ago I typed "may be" and the machine turned it into "maybe." In that particular case, either would have worked, so I left it. Other times "maybe" and "may be" are not the same thing! I just tried typing "noone" and the machine wants to correct it to "no one," though.

durham_lad Jan 4th 2019 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12616290)
Well, along similar lines, two posts ago I typed "may be" and the machine turned it into "maybe." In that particular case, either would have worked, so I left it. Other times "maybe" and "may be" are not the same thing! I just tried typing "noone" and the machine wants to correct it to "no one," though.

Exactly what we found. This member obviously thought he knew better than the autocorrect and insisted on using “noone”

Go figure!!