Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Non Brit/American specific words/phrases you hate

Non Brit/American specific words/phrases you hate

Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:06 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non Bri/American specific words/phrases you hate

Sorry, title was meant to be Brit/American but I missed out the t on Brit and you can't edit titles.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:07 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Sorry, title was meant to be Brit/American but I missed out the t on Brit and you can't edit titles.
Ask a fishing-rod - they'll put it high-as-a-kite for you.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Brit/American specific words/phrases you hate

The MOST irksome has to be 'prototypical'!

Watching a game (be it baseball, football or whatever, you'll hear the announcer saying "He's the prototypical mid-fielder". What he's trying to say is that he's ideal for the role, but that's NOT what it means!
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:28 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

Watching a game (be it baseball, football or whatever, you'll hear the announcer saying "He's the prototypical mid-fielder". What he's trying to say is that he's ideal for the role, but that's NOT what it means!
I've heard of prototype but never prototypical.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:30 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

I am happy to say I've never heard that particular one!

I wonder what's wrong with 'archetypal' or even 'quintessential', or just the plain old 'bloody good' ... ?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:35 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Why use utilitize when use does the job perfectly well on its own?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:37 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

And why critique?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:42 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm annoyed with myself over being annoyed at people using "myself" instead it "me".

"He is going to give it to myself."
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I don't hate it, but this irks me a bit.
The abrogation of collective nouns.

English: American:

a smuck of jellyfish____________a bunch of jellyfish
a pride of lions________________a bunch of lions
a skein of geese_______________a bunch of geese
an exaltation of skylarks________a bunch of skylarks
I thought it was a "gaggle" of geese. And which American do you know who'll subject him/herself to scorn for using a 4 syllable word where a 1 syllable word would do? BTW, I think it's "smack" of jellyfish.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I'm annoyed with myself over being annoyed at people using "myself" instead it "me".

"He is going to give it to myself."
What twaddle. Nothing wrong with me when used properly.

"Me an' im" is a bit slang but used incorrectly. It was forced down my neck at school that we say "Paul and I" "The children and I" " I and my sister".

Don't speak that way all the time, day to day of course but I do know the rules, especially if I have to write something smart and correct and "proper"
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:09 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I thought it was a "gaggle" of geese. And which American do you know who'll subject him/herself to scorn for using a 4 syllable word where a 1 syllable word would do? BTW, I think it's "smack" of jellyfish.
I believe it's a gaggle when they're on the ground and a skein when they're on the wing.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I believe it's a gaggle when they're on the ground and a skein when they're on the wing.
Ohhh - I've learned something new today. The day's not wasted. (No, I'm not being sarcastic!) Thanks.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Ohhh - I've learned something new today. The day's not wasted. (No, I'm not being sarcastic!) Thanks.
and when they are cooked for Christmas?

A platter of basted geese?
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
What twaddle. Nothing wrong with me when used properly.

"Me an' im" is a bit slang but used incorrectly. It was forced down my neck at school that we say "Paul and I" "The children and I" " I and my sister".

Don't speak that way all the time, day to day of course but I do know the rules, especially if I have to write something smart and correct and "proper"
I think he's objecting to the use of 'myself'.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:37 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think he's objecting to the use of 'myself'.
As Austin Powers said: "Allow myself to introduce ... myself."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.