Nissan Leaf

Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nissan Leaf

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

I get the impression that if car companies hadn't been forced by regulation to improve fuel efficiency, they probably wouldn't have bothered.
Entirely true especially at $2 / gallon. But if someone can pay $60,000 for a truck I'm sure they can pay for the fuel. How much auto debt do American have? over $1 trillion I believe.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sooner or later someone is going to realize that setting entirely unattainable efficiency goals is daft, and leads to cheating (whether permitted, such as "buying credits", or not, a la Volkswagen), rather than an actual increase in efficiency.
You don't want easy low targets but like you say set them too high and people cheat. You want it high enough that there is genuine pressure to make sure innovation takes place.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Entirely true especially at $2 / gallon. But if someone can pay $60,000 for a truck I'm sure they can pay for the fuel. How much auto debt do American have? over $1 trillion I believe.
The reality that might eventually force a semblance of reality in efficiency goals is that approximately 20% of the economy of all industrialized countries is linked to the production and operation of road vehicles. Eventually the restrictions will risk doing real damage to a massively important industrial sector.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
If Toyota believed in EVs, then it would not have bothered with hybrids. Hybrids are an acknowledgement that battery power alone is inadequate.

That's not a logical conclusion. Toyota could believe completely in EVs but also be realistic that the way to get there is through hybrid designs in the near term until battery technology advances. Their latest 'pluggable' Prius is closer to a pure EV than the original Prius, so they are heading in that direction. That said, I personally think hybrids are the way to go, one way or another (possibly 'a generator in the trunk' approach).

Sooner or later someone is going to realize that setting entirely unattainable efficiency goals is daft, and leads to cheating (whether permitted, such as "buying credits", or not, a la Volkswagen), rather than an actual increase in efficiency.
I arrived in California in the early 80s, and the car buying public and auto-makers were screaming blue murder due to emissions controls. Cars had all kinds of crappy 'add on' parts to deal with emissions, catalytic converters were just being installed, and lead was being removed from gasoline. The net result was awful performance, and everyone claimed it was the end of driving as we knew it. Then the manufacturers realized they weren't going to cry their way out of trouble, got their acts together, and ended up producing more powerful cars than ever. If it weren't for aggressive targets, we'd still be using leaded gas and driving gas guzzling monsters.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Jumping in here late and haven't read most of the posts, so tell me to bugger off if the following has already been covered.

Had a look over the Tesla S when I was in UK last. 300+ mile range, 20 mins for 1/2 a charge at Tesla's charging stations (free of charge, for life, for Tesla S owners - admittedly not many of those (the charging stations) in UK, especially north of London), several hours at home for a full charge (costs about £5), in standard trim does 0-60mph in under 6 secs (and 2.9 secs with the Insane Acceleration Kit), and looks extremely cool to boot. Very tempted. Looking forward to their cheaper and smaller 4x4 / crossover coming out later this year.
Only time I've seen Teslas is when I drive through Chicago. Lots of wealthy folks there and electric cars are more efficient than IC engine cars for stop-n-go traffic .

Tesla is fine for most peoples' daily commute, shopping etc. That 20 mins for a half charge is still rather long.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

You dryer and water heater run on 2x120v, which isn't quite the same as 240v (the actual voltages vary slightly anyway, usually 110v-120v).
Doesn't 120Volt have the advantage of being safer? Isn't that why UK buidling sites prefer power tools to be 110-120volt
Old Jan 8th 2016, 12:17 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Only time I've seen Teslas is when I drive through Chicago. Lots of wealthy folks there and electric cars are more efficient than IC engine cars for stop-n-go traffic .

Tesla is fine for most peoples' daily commute, shopping etc. That 20 mins for a half charge is still rather long.
There's a whole fleet of them at Amsterdam airport, operating as taxis.

The 20 mins is fine if you can just roll up, park and plug, and have a coffee while you wait (and if the journey is well-planned, which apparently Tesla has put a lot of effort into by way of its iPad-sized dedicated satnav, then a break after a couple of hundred miles is a good idea anyway). The main drag I would see is if you're in a queue to use the charging dock. However, with a range of 300 miles it'd still work for most people, with perhaps some inconvenience which, again for most people, would be an acceptable quid pro quo for free energy.

I'm still wondering what the catch it.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Jan 8th 2016 at 12:25 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 4:07 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Toyota could believe completely in EVs but also be realistic that the way to get there is through hybrid designs in the near term until battery technology advances.
Toyota is betting on hydrogen and hybrids while it has minimized its involvement with EVs. The Japanese government is also trying to encourage hydrogen fuel cell development.

Toyota's actions make it clear that any improvements to the battery that may have the potential to make EVs feasible won't be coming from them. Hybrids exist because battery technology by itself is not well suited to mass adoption; Toyota combines gasoline engines and electric motors so that they complement each other.

Automakers have tended to steer clear from EVs because of the power storage problem. The German, US federal and California governments are all pushing the matter, so the automakers are now making mostly gratuitous efforts to comply. But at the end of the day, a battery is a vat of chemicals, so it isn't like a tank of fuel -- those chemicals will degrade and recharging a battery will probably never be as fast as is putting liquid inside of a tank.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 4:10 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I'm still wondering what the catch is.
The batteries are heavy and expensive, and they lose their ability to hold a charge over time. Imagine having to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a fuel tank that takes awhile to fill and shrinks as the years go by.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Rickyk is on a distinguished road

They still do, don't they? Don't the nuclear powered ships, including the US aircraft carriers, use the reactor to make steam to run a generator?
The way diesel train locomotives work and the way many of the big (400t) mining trucks work.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 4:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rickyk
The way diesel train locomotives work and the way many of the big (400t) mining trucks work.
What? You think diesel trains run on nuclear power? .... Or on steam running a turbine generator?

Most, the vast majority, of diesel trains use the engine to run a generator, and the electricity generated is used to power electric motors. ..... But we covered that already above. It wouldn't surprise me that big mining trucks use a similar system. It would however surprise me if those trucks ran on nuclear power!
Old Jan 8th 2016, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Rickyk is on a distinguished road

What? You think diesel trains run on nuclear power? .... Or on steam running a turbine generator?

Most, the vast majority, of diesel trains use the engine to run a generator, and the electricity generated is used to power electric motors. ..... But we covered that already above. It wouldn't surprise me that big mining trucks use a similar system. It would however surprise me if those trucks ran on nuclear power!
diesel locomotives run on diesel. The reason these large diesel motors use electric generators and electric motors is the complexity and hence cost of the transmission is too high. Cat have developed mechanical drive transmissions for large mining trucks because they are more efficient than electric drives

Last edited by Rickyk; Jan 8th 2016 at 4:32 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 8th 2016, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rickyk
diesel locomotives run on diesel. The reason these large diesel motors use electric generators and electric motors is the complexity and hence cost of the transmission is too high. Cat have developed mechanical drive transmissions for large mining trucks because they are more efficient than electric drives
I know how they run, and that mechanical drive is more efficient, and lighter to boot, and perhaps you do too, but your phrasing is confusing.

Combining your confusing wording with the fact that you quoted a post I made about nuclear powered steam turbines for warships, but then proceeded to talk about diesel electric locomotives and quarry trucks with mechanical transmission, it is inevitable that what you have written is hard to make sense of even IF the reader already knows how these machines are powered.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 8th 2016 at 4:40 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

I know how they run, and that mechanical drive is more efficient, and lighter to boot, and perhaps you do too, but your phrasing is confusing.

Combining your confusing wording with the fact that you quoted a post I made about nuclear powered steam turbines for warships, but then proceeded to talk about diesel electric locomotives and quarry trucks with mechanical transmission, it is inevitable that what you have written is hard to make sense of even IF the reader already knows how these machines are powered.
Honestly, it didn't seem confusing to me. He meant they also make steam to power a generator, not that we have nuclear-powered trains.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778
Honestly, it didn't seem confusing to me. He meant they also make steam to power a generator, not that we have nuclear-powered trains.
Except that neither diesel electric trains nor quarry trucks make steam to power a generator!

So you actually proved my point, that what Rickyk wrote was confusing (didn't convey what is actually true).

Nuclear powered vessels need the steam to convert heat energy into rotational energy by means of a turbine generator. Diesel engines have a crank shaft that produces rotational energy, so it can be connected directly to an alternator to generate AC power. As RickyK said himself, quarry trucks use a mechanical transmission.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 8th 2016 at 5:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.