NHS

Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS

Originally Posted by Boiler
This:

In the wake of the damning report into care failings at Stafford hospital, he said it was "absolutely outrageous" that no one had been brought to book for the premature deaths of up to 1,200 people.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-investigation
are you going to actually make a point or just post platitudes and links?

For example, do you think Bevan's vision is still relevant? Achievable? what do you think are the problems the NHS faces? What would be your suggestions for improving delivery of healthcare in the UK?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And there in essence is the root of the problem in both the US and UK. If you make something free, or the co-pays negligible, then demand will be almost unlimited, and both counties, despite many differences in their health care delivery systems, suffer from some degree of excess demand at the point of delivery.
Yes, I find it hard to disagree with that. Although, I would have said perhaps the weakness is in the "meet the needs of everyone". The NHS is a victim of its own success - many of today's needs would never have been dreamed of 65 years ago. iVF for example.

Could we face a future where the NHS becomes a core service of basic public health and if you want your varicose veins done you pay yourself or have top up insurance?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yellowroom
are you going to actually make a point or just post platitudes and links?

For example, do you think Bevan's vision is still relevant? Achievable? what do you think are the problems the NHS faces? What would be your suggestions for improving delivery of healthcare in the UK?
I would not call the deaths of 1200 and the misery inflected on countless others a platitude.

I would start with how much of the national wealth you are going to allocate and then where it brings the biggest bang.

As far as control is concerned, well it is pretty clear from both the UK and the US that leaving it to the Man does not work.

There is no perfect solution so I would go with the least worse.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I find it hard to disagree with that. Although, I would have said perhaps the weakness is in the "meet the needs of everyone". The NHS is a victim of its own success - many of today's needs would never have been dreamed of 65 years ago. iVF for example.

Could we face a future where the NHS becomes a core service of basic public health and if you want your varicose veins done you pay yourself or have top up insurance?
To both of your points, there are medical treatments that are expensive and more medically necessary than IVF, that have become commonplace, but did not exist 75 years ago. An example would be artificial hips, for which there is certainly a need for some but seems in other cases to be used as treatment for a little arthritis which even 20 years ago would be considered "just one of those things", but is now being "cured" by extremely expensive surgery. Until someone is prepared to lay down some guidelines and set up a gate-keeper process to ensure that the payer, whether governmental (UK) or insurance (US), only funds medically necessary treatments, expenditure on healthcare is going to continue to spiral upwards.

The situation we have is that compared to car insurance, it would be like filing an insurance claim for body rust or a new clutch. Things wear out, they don't last forever; good care and maintenance will extend life of your car, exercise and good diet usually helps your body last longer, but neither cars nor bodies last for ever, and expecting either governmental or private insurance to fund an ever expanding range of life enhancing and life extending treatments is unsustainable.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Which bit; the three hour drive or having to stand in the waiting room, or both?
The three hour wait in the waiting room to see me or one of my colleagues. Sometimes it's standing room only.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
The three hour wait in the waiting room to see me or one of my colleagues. Sometimes it's standing room only.
OK, thats a bit more useful than your previous comment. Thank you.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

There are failures and idiots in every health system in the world. However, being public means that things get published a lot more regarding the NHS than most of the US systems. We have a few of the highest rated hospital systems in the country around me and they are large employers so its impossible to not know a lot of people who work for them. The stuff that happens that never gets reported is amazing. Things like multiple instances in the same hospital where doctors and nurses missed patients with MRSA for days despite family raising questions about it. No precautions were taken by any staff so infection spread. Things like patients being completely ignored for over a day. Doctors who snap at patients and tell them to treat themselves because they have a few printouts from WebMD.

No system is perfect but just look at the size, scale and complexity of what the system is and does.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
There are failures and idiots in every health system in the world. However, being public means that things get published a lot more regarding the NHS than most of the US systems. We have a few of the highest rated hospital systems in the country around me and they are large employers so its impossible to not know a lot of people who work for them. The stuff that happens that never gets reported is amazing. Things like multiple instances in the same hospital where doctors and nurses missed patients with MRSA for days despite family raising questions about it. No precautions were taken by any staff so infection spread. Things like patients being completely ignored for over a day. Doctors who snap at patients and tell them to treat themselves because they have a few printouts from WebMD.

No system is perfect but just look at the size, scale and complexity of what the system is and does.
As a nurse who worked in UK and US I can assure you that the things reported in the UK as happening, happen in the US too, I've seen and heard of all the same kinds of things happening here. But at least in UK everyone has the same chance at getting seen without breaking the bank.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 2:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts

As I said on the other thread on the subject - as you say, there will be mistakes, drawbacks, and unsatisfactory situations in both systems. The huge difference? Access and principles. A society's health care should not be a commercial venture where access is determined and governed by the need to make a profit, because that leaves huge numbers of people either without care, or with inadequate care, or bankrupting themselves to get care. This has been proven in the US. The entire rest of the developed world has a form of socialized medicine. Make it better? Yes. Fund it properly? Yes. Organize it better? Of course. Turn it into a business? No.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

expecting either governmental or private insurance to fund an ever expanding range of life enhancing and life extending treatments is unsustainable.
yes, that was the point I was trying to make, but you said it better. I foresee an inevitable contraction of services the NHS will offer in order to do those things well rather than spreading resources thinner and thinner, but I dread the prospect of who decides what is covered and and what isn't.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
A society's health care should not be a commercial venture where access is determined and governed by the need to make a profit, because that leaves huge numbers of people either without care, or with inadequate care, or bankrupting themselves to get care. This has been proven in the US. The entire rest of the developed world has a form of socialized medicine. Make it better? Yes. Fund it properly? Yes. Organize it better? Of course. Turn it into a business? No.
Absolutely. And of course in the light of this thread, it's not just a US vs UK choice - most of the countries in western Europe seem to have efficient health systems with good healthcare/outcomes. I'd hope the NHS learns from them rather than the USA.

This is what I meant by platitude. You're just typing words without actually saying anything meaningful. Again, what would your least worse system look like?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Over a period of probably several decades, a cultural shift could take place where lifestyles change so that the majority of people don't need to go to the doctors so often because they are knowledgeable enough to self medicate for common ailments, and/or realise that the doctor can do little for making a cold go away for example, and people exercise more and/or eat less sh1te.

The 'failure demand' (I invite the reader to investigate that term for themselves ) inherent in the system is reduced. This then frees up resources for dealing with medical 'needs' vs customer/patient 'wants', resulting in a better service for all, a healthier population, and a combination of less/later increases in resources allocated to healthcare.

I can see in the US the very powerful business and other interests will fight tooth & nail against it - a fat, unhealthy, uneducated population is exactly what these industries need in order to continue to make money...
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And there in essence is the root of the problem in both the US and UK. If you make something free, or the co-pays negligible, then demand will be almost unlimited, and both counties, despite many differences in their health care delivery systems, suffer from some degree of excess demand at the point of delivery.
But is that actually true? I don't know.

Plenty of people with gold plated cover in the US are at the doctors at the first sign of a sniffle here, so it happens regardless of co-pays or not.

I also don't know that many people that bothered with the doctors in the UK unless things were really bad because they couldn't be bothered wasting the time, but here it seems they want to get the value for their money.

Then on the other hand, how much of this going when you can leads to things being found earlier than leaving things till they are to late?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at it, then the NHS would be it then wouldn't it.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But is that actually true? I don't know.

Plenty of people with gold plated cover in the US are at the doctors at the first sign of a sniffle here, so it happens regardless of co-pays or not.

I also don't know that many people that bothered with the doctors in the UK unless things were really bad because they couldn't be bothered wasting the time, but here it seems they want to get the value for their money.

Then on the other hand, how much of this going when you can leads to things being found earlier than leaving things till they are to late?
I don't think people anywhere run off to the doctor's office unless it's necessary in some fashion, unless you're a hypochondriac. If there's something bothering you, or you feel it's necessary to go and see a doctor, then you should go, but who goes just to get "their money's worth"?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 4:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Absolutely. And of course in the light of this thread, it's not just a US vs UK choice - most of the countries in western Europe seem to have efficient health systems with good healthcare/outcomes. I'd hope the NHS learns from them rather than the USA.
Japan has a pretty good system too and it's all insurance based.

The government pays for people who are under x years, kids, students for example, also those unemployed/disabled.

The rate can only be determined by your height/weight range and if you're a smoker or not, so no pre-existings or age. You pick the deductible you are comfortable for before cover kicks in. Employers usually just pay this or the government does, not sure.

There's no co-pays for anything and no cost at point of service allowed. It's the cost of doing business.

Prescriptions are picked up by the government I think....part of the reason they want older people to hurry up and die

So a cross between this, France, Switzerland, Germany....there are plenty of options for insurance based systems to work, which would probably be more popular here than an entirely government run system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.