Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

NFL at Wembley: Steelers vs Vikings 29 Sept

NFL at Wembley: Steelers vs Vikings 29 Sept

Old Sep 29th 2013, 5:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb NFL at Wembley: Steelers vs Vikings 29 Sept

I've just spent a few days in London and yesterday Regent St was closed off for an "NFL Block Party". My spouse and I took a stroll there but there were huge queues for food (burgers/wings/hotdogs etc.) so we went for brunch at the new UK branch of NYC's "Balthazar" instead at Covent Garden. there were thousands of Americans wearing their NFL teams shirts, many had flown in from the States to go to Wembley but of course many US expats resident in the UK too.

The game at Wembley has just started....watching it on Channel 4 (it is on Sky too, plus US sports channels....then Downton Abbey later lol!
Old Sep 29th 2013, 5:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NFL at Wembley: Steelers vs Vikings 29 Sept

Guindalf is over there and at Wembley. I am a royally ticked-off Steelers fan as in the NY area we can't get the game. I thought for sure that it would be on nationwide seeing as they are making such a big deal about the NFL in London -- but nooooooo!
Old Sep 29th 2013, 5:38 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: NFL at Wembley: Steelers vs Vikings 29 Sept

Just an idea:
download http://www.expatshield.com and you can give your PC a temporary UK ISP (ie. con it into thinking you are in the UK).

Then just go to http://www.channel4.com (you may need to provide a UK address) to watch their programmes. I don't think you can do it on MAcs though.

Alternatively try the Film On app.

Hope it helps
Old Sep 29th 2013, 9:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Just an idea:
download http://www.expatshield.com and you can give your PC a temporary UK ISP (ie. con it into thinking you are in the UK).

Then just go to http://www.channel4.com (you may need to provide a UK address) to watch their programmes. I don't think you can do it on MAcs though.

Alternatively try the Film On app.

Hope it helps
Thanks for the advice -- unfortunately I only just got it after going away to watch the Yankees game and keep track of the Steelers on my app! And just saw the sad news that Steelers Steel Curtain great L. C. Greenwood died at the age of 67.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I was very surprised at seeing this game yesterday! I didn't realize any of the NFL teams would come over here to play.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 1:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I was very surprised at seeing this game yesterday! I didn't realize any of the NFL teams would come over here to play.
They've been having one game in London for the last few seasons as far as I know.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we're over here and were at the game - sellout, 86,000 people! Believe me, we became intimate with every one of them trying to get to the tube after the game.

It was a great game (except for the result, of course) and the press here are all talking about it.

There's another game here next month - San Francisco 49ers vs Jacksonville Jaguars. ...and they're talking about the possibility of a regular NFL team being based in Europe permanently. Sadly, the team that's being talked about is the Jaguars (one of the owners owns Fulham football club) and no-one here LIKES the Jags!!!
Old Sep 30th 2013, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
There's another game here next month - San Francisco 49ers vs Jacksonville Jaguars. ...and they're talking about the possibility of a regular NFL team being based in Europe permanently. Sadly, the team that's being talked about is the Jaguars (one of the owners owns Fulham football club) and no-one here LIKES the Jags!!!
No-one anywhere likes the Jags, except a small tribal bunch in Jacksonville itself. Even some of the national sports commentators are saying that they ought to draft Tebow just to put some more bums on seats!
Old Sep 30th 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
No-one anywhere likes the Jags, except a small tribal bunch in Jacksonville itself. Even some of the national sports commentators are saying that they ought to draft Tebow just to put some more bums on seats!
So true.

My boss's wife is a huge Tebow fan and has a Broncos and a Jets #15 shirt. I think the next one she buys will be a WalMart shirt!!
Old Sep 30th 2013, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I think I read somewhere that they were giving away free beer to try and make people by Jags tickets.

Anyway, I'm still getting used to the Chiefs being 4-0 :-)
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
My boss's wife is a huge Tebow fan and has a Broncos and a Jets #15 shirt.
The irony of the Jaguars' situation is that if they come bottom of the League this season - as seems pretty certain - they will get first pick a the College graduates, of whom the star (and #1 pick) is expected to be a QB. The star College QB of his graduating year was... Tim Tebow, who was and is reckoned to be not good enough for the NFL!

I don't know if you followed his career at all (In the NFL), but he was a very erratic passer, who just happened to come good in the last five or ten minutes of his games. Hence the chant of "Tebow Time!" His pass in the first play of overtime against the Steelers... Well, here's the link, in case you haven't seen it. Napoleon is supposed to have said. "I would rather my generals were lucky than clever", or something like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV2YqyeRB40
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Tebow, some good college stats and when he's good can be pretty decent...but really, he's just shit who can't throw straight.

Last chance was with the Patriots. Surprised they didn't use him as a wide receiver though as he can catch pretty well and makes some decent diagonal runs like Welker used to do for the side.

I guess having $600K base salary for not doing anything is pretty high for a third string QB and the Pats never have that many QB's.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Tebow, some good college stats and when he's good can be pretty decent...but really, he's just shit who can't throw straight.
I think Tebow is indicative of a gulf forming between college and NFL, both in style of play read option v. pocket and in quality.

Look at this past year's draft and the top two picks were tackles and some fairly well regarded QB talent wasn't picked until very late.

Note the Jags had the #2 pick this year. As the Chiefs are showing, there more to rebuilding than having the #1 pick.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I think Tebow is indicative of a gulf forming between college and NFL
You hit the nail on the head, there, though I would attribute the growing gulf mainly to the different emphases on defence (Oops! I mean "defense"), especially the defensive line.

I'm an old Rugby League fan, by the way. Just recently we've been getting to see some RL games from England and Australia, and wonderful it is to watch, at its best! You can see that American football is an adaptation of RL rather than RU, and that's interesting too.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 11:28 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Importing NFL is one thing but not all that religious nonsense that Tebow will bring with him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.