Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

NFL - I could watch this for hours!

Wikiposts

NFL - I could watch this for hours!

Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of
Default Re: NFL - I could watch this for hours!

Originally Posted by orangemirror
That sounds awesome. How much does it cost?
$400 a season (NFL Sunday Ticket is $300 + 'SuperFan' (HD and all the extras) is an extra $100).

Expensive? Yes

Great? Yes

We can watch every Broncos game live in HD from the comfort of our own home. No hassles of looking for streams or going to a bar to watch the game on a small secondary screen without any sound.

Plus obviously we can choose to watch whatever game we want that doesn't clash with the Broncos.

Then during the week we can watch all the other games in 30 mins (if we wanted to...).
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:43 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I need a Dummies guide to "Football" (i.e. not soccer), I know the basics but I could never explain the technical stuff.
Back in the 80s when I was getting into it, there were a couple of books that were really good at explaining the rules and the basics, and there was Gridiron magazine, too, which was great for understanding the game. I used to watch NFL Sunday on Channel Four every week, even when they switched it to Saturday mornings, and would happily stay awake until 3am to watch live Super Bowls. Back then I was a 49ers fan. No idea why, I just kinda flipped a coin. But it still wasn't until I started playing Madden that I understood why you wouldn't just throw every down.

Unfortunately, as you say so correctly, Englishman in Eugene, neither did Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers last week.

Anotherlimey, you can thank me later.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Man, I wish I had some more spare change so I could buy that NFL Sunday Ticket and get a games console and get the Madden game. They both sound great. Maybe next year?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ridski
Back in the 80s when I was getting into it, there were a couple of books that were really good at explaining the rules and the basics, and there was Gridiron magazine, too, which was great for understanding the game. I used to watch NFL Sunday on Channel Four every week, even when they switched it to Saturday mornings, and would happily stay awake until 3am to watch live Super Bowls. Back then I was a 49ers fan. No idea why, I just kinda flipped a coin. But it still wasn't until I started playing Madden that I understood why you wouldn't just throw every down.

Unfortunately, as you say so correctly, Englishman in Eugene, neither did Jay Cutler and Aaron Rodgers last week.
Sounds like we were watching together, Ridski. I picked the Eagles for my team because I liked the wings on their helmets , and the guy I watched my first game with was a Redskins fan.

They have been pretty dreadful over the years, and even now I don't think they're capable of winning a Superbowl, but they're fun to watch because they can beat the best one week and lose to the worst the next.

Nice SF win over the Cardinals btw!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Paulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nice

I have watched NFL ever since the early days of channel 4 and became a dolphins fan as Dan Marino was the most talked about player of that era. (Shame he never won a ring)
Since I moved to Chicago last year I am now a Bears fan and have found the Madden game great for getting to know the players etc. What a disapointment the first game against the packers with 3-4 very basic mistakes costing them a big win.
Still 1 down 15 to go bring on the Steelers
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:51 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
Sounds like we were watching together, Ridski. I picked the Eagles for my team because I liked the wings on their helmets , and the guy I watched my first game with was a Redskins fan.

They have been pretty dreadful over the years, and even now I don't think they're capable of winning a Superbowl, but they're fun to watch because they can beat the best one week and lose to the worst the next.

Watchit. Our Eagles have no trouble selling tickets. I learned most about American football when I played in a couple of interdepartmental, "rough touch football" games. I was a heavy smoker but had enough time between plays. Then I moved to Denver and signed on to our company sponsored (real) football team, on the right wing. I almost died.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Watchit. Our Eagles have no trouble selling tickets.
Indeed no, I live the Eagles, didn't mean to cast aspersions. I bought a very expensive Starter jacket and cap, plus a team jersey, back in the 80s, and now have a new cap (annoyingly lost that old one somewhere) and team jersey my BIL got me for Christmas.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
It is quite freaky how quickly you can go from 'I don't get that American Football sh*t' to not being able to wait for the next game....
No it's not. I know a butt load about the game but I can't be bothered to actually watch it unless somebody has tickets to a game or it happens to be on the TV. That might be more to do with the fact that I live in Cleveland though.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
Man, I wish I had some more spare change so I could buy that NFL Sunday Ticket and get a games console and get the Madden game. They both sound great. Maybe next year?
If you switch to DirectTV now and buy Sunday ticket they will give you their top TV package for free for 5 months. But then you get locked into a $110 a month 19 month contract when the 5 months run out!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:35 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut

I say 'never' - has there every been any rugby players convert to the NFL?
Gavin Hastings played euro NFL or whatever its called

Last edited by Thydney; Sep 16th 2009 at 7:01 am.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If you switch to DirectTV now and buy Sunday ticket they will give you their top TV package for free for 5 months. But then you get locked into a $110 a month 19 month contract when the 5 months run out!
It's actually more that $110 (you have to pay for DVR & HD on top).

However - although you need to commit to some contract for 24 months you are allowed to downgrade your package from the top one after the 5 months.

As someone who doesn't watch movies it is better for me to get the next one down with the $12.99 sports pack on top.

Wasn't life just easier (and cheaper!) when all we had was BBC1, BBC2 & ITV?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
No it's not. I know a butt load about the game but I can't be bothered to actually watch it unless somebody has tickets to a game or it happens to be on the TV. That might be more to do with the fact that I live in Cleveland though.
So you can be bothered to go to a live game or watch it on TV - but you can't be bothered to watch it online etc. You must really hate it then!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well I wouldn't pay for a ticket and I wouldn't go looking for a game on TV or even plan to watch one. I don't hate it but I don't particularity like watching it either.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:56 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene

Actually, I'm no longer a 49ers fan, as my wife converted me to the Giants. But that SF win was damn cool. Superbowl one minute,losing to the 49ers the next.

Also, as a Giants fan, I know how you feel. Sure, we did win a Superbowl in the last couple of years, but the Eagles, when everyone's healthy and clicking, are a formidable team. Even though we're technically rivals, I've got a soft spot for them, and save all the rivalry-hatred for those arrogant Cowboys...
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski

Actually, I'm no longer a 49ers fan, as my wife converted me to the Giants. But that SF win was damn cool. Superbowl one minute,losing to the 49ers the next.

Also, as a Giants fan, I know how you feel. Sure, we did win a Superbowl in the last couple of years, but the Eagles, when everyone's healthy and clicking, are a formidable team. Even though we're technically rivals, I've got a soft spot for them, and save all the rivalry-hatred for those arrogant Cowboys...
My son ignoring his genetic predisposition is a Steelers fan. Now, I remember the good old days in the 70s when they won 4 Super Bowls with the likes of Franco Harris, Mean Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann to name a few.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.