Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

NFL - I could watch this for hours!

Wikiposts

NFL - I could watch this for hours!

Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NFL - I could watch this for hours!

Originally Posted by Bob
Pats v Bills lastnight....I gave up when it looked like the Pats were going to get stuffed with just under 2 mins remaining....checked the score for a laugh after going for a piss, missed Brady getting 2 touchdown passes to win the game by a point.

Not bad, bit of a tight start for the season though.
That was a good game. Nearly interesting enough to get me interested in NFL
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Pats v Bills lastnight....I gave up when it looked like the Pats were going to get stuffed with just under 2 mins remaining....checked the score for a laugh after going for a piss, missed Brady getting 2 touchdown passes to win the game by a point.

Not bad, bit of a tight start for the season though.
Yeah I couldn't believe that they came back at the end. When I first moved here it drove me crazy that the last 2 mins could last 30 mins!
Now though I love it. So much can happen in 2 minutes.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
When I first moved here it drove me crazy that the last 2 mins could last 30 mins!
...I'm still at that stage
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:50 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
My DH was a fan years before the thought of having a Yank in his life (he supported the Chiefs, ), and now that he lives here has gotten into Fantasy Football etc. He even watches college games, something I never got into, even when I was in college. Anyway, he has now seen the light and supports the Pats,
Jumped on the bandwagon did he?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:57 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Jumped on the bandwagon did he?
He knows where his bread is buttered.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 5:48 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
My DH was a fan years before the thought of having a Yank in his life (he supported the Chiefs, ), and now that he lives here has gotten into Fantasy Football etc. He even watches college games, something I never got into, even when I was in college. Anyway, he has now seen the light and supports the Pats,
Been a Pats fan since '85 myself when I watched my first Superbowl. Well you know what happened so I won't mention it. Funny that I ended moving to New England.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

Don't NFL teams still have a tradition of open tryouts - where anyone can come along and try their luck? I don't think many people get a contract that way, but sensible teams don't waste any opportunities.

There are a lot of foreign-born kickers and punters in the NFL, because so many American sports concentrate on hand-eye co-ordination, but not foot-ball co-ordination. Aussie Rules Football players can do well in the NFL.

I'm still in the UK, hoping to be stateside in the next 6-8 months, and we have limited (free) coverage but better than it has been. Channel 5 are covering one game a week on TV, and BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra covers a radio broadcast each week too. I don't want to pay wads to get Sky coverage.

I recorded the first Radio 5 broadcast and it lasted 4 hours. The 5th One Day International (Cricket) coverage was 8 hours long.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:01 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
Before I never saw a point to the rushing game at all, thinking it was a waste of time and energy. Now I know why you would want to waste time, if you're 6 points up with 2.13 on the clock.
Last Thanksgiving, I spent the day watching football with some British friends trying to explain football to them. I found it surprisingly difficult to explain concepts like establishing the run, defensive packages, blitz strategy, clock management etc. A lot of this stuff I just know because I grew up watching football. To someone new to the game, I'm sure it just looks like a bunch of huge guys thundering around knocking into each other. This is especially true with the running game. The Brits kept asking "why don't they just throw the ball on every down?" Twenty minutes of explanation later I'm still not sure they got it...
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:03 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
...I'm still at that stage
You need to learn the magic of Tivo/DVR. Truly the football fan's best friend.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
The age-old debate...

Rugby & American Football and 2 totally different games.
Quite correct, one game is played by real tough guys, whilst the other is played by a bunch of Nancy Boys padded up to the hilt, wearing helmets and don't have the balls to stay on the field for the full duration of the game...even though they've been taking steroids for donkey's years.

Jim

Last edited by Scouse Express; Sep 16th 2009 at 1:09 am. Reason: Corrected a Typo
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Last Thanksgiving, I spent the day watching football with some British friends trying to explain football to them
If you are trying to explain NFL to someone who doesn't get it then I find you just have to start with the very basics.

Trust me when I say a lot of Brits don't know what a 2nd & 4, 3rd & 9 etc is.

With the TV graphic of the yellow line the 1st thing to say is 'the team has 4 goes to get to the yellow line'. Hence 1st and 10. 1st attempt - 10 yards to go. When 1st explaining this it is great if the team just gets about 2 yards. The yellow line stays where it is and it is then 2nd & 8 (again the TV graphic on the pitch showing a big arrow with 2nd & 8 pointing to the yellow line adds clarity).

OOOOHHH - THAT'S WHAT STUFF MEANS they will often say and suddenly they understand what the hell is going on!

Worry about 4th downs & punts & sacks & field goals & time outs & all the rest of it as it happens. Getting someone to understand the '4 goes to get 10 yards' is the essential thing!!!

As long as they are quite clued up (and generally into sports) the rest all comes together quite easily (as it all makes sense - ie punt on 4th or else the other team can get the ball from where you lose it).

Once the basic rules are understood try to get some money on a game. Even a couple of bucks will mean the person actually cares who wins (flip a coin to choose who has which team - you are not trying to tuck them up here!!!).

If you care who wins then suddenly those 3rd downs do start to take a new importance and you start to really look forward to them. All those 'annoying stops and starts and commercials' are soon forgotten as it's 3rd and 2 on the 30 yard line...

It is quite freaky how quickly you can go from 'I don't get that American Football sh*t' to not being able to wait for the next game....
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

You need to learn the magic of Tivo/DVR. Truly the football fan's best friend.
Also if you get the NFL Sunday Ticket now you have a couple of channels that show every game from that week in 30 mins. Just every play. No commercials.

If you don't know the score of a game it is a great way to watch it. To start with it is a bit freaky cos it is so fast but you soon get used to it.

It's like watching it on a DVR but without having to use the <fast forward> button - it's all done for you.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Englishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud ofEnglishman in Eugene has much to be proud of

Last Thanksgiving, I spent the day watching football with some British friends trying to explain football to them. I found it surprisingly difficult to explain concepts like establishing the run, defensive packages, blitz strategy, clock management etc. A lot of this stuff I just know because I grew up watching football. To someone new to the game, I'm sure it just looks like a bunch of huge guys thundering around knocking into each other. This is especially true with the running game. The Brits kept asking "why don't they just throw the ball on every down?" Twenty minutes of explanation later I'm still not sure they got it...
There has been NFL coverage in England for at least 25 years; I know because I watched my first regular season game in 1984.

At first the presenters had to explain all that stuff, but the audience is generally much more sophisticated now, and don't need or want it. The recent Bears vs. Packers game was a good example of how you need to establish the run to open up the pass, why it's good to keep your offence on the field, etc.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
There has been NFL coverage in England for at least 25 years; I know because I watched my first regular season game in 1984.

At first the presenters had to explain all that stuff, but the audience is generally much more sophisticated now, and don't need or want it. The recent Bears vs. Packers game was a good example of how you need to establish the run to open up the pass, why it's good to keep your offence on the field, etc.
I need a Dummies guide to "Football" (i.e. not soccer), I know the basics but I could never explain the technical stuff.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Also if you get the NFL Sunday Ticket now you have a couple of channels that show every game from that week in 30 mins. Just every play. No commercials.

If you don't know the score of a game it is a great way to watch it. To start with it is a bit freaky cos it is so fast but you soon get used to it.

It's like watching it on a DVR but without having to use the <fast forward> button - it's all done for you.
That sounds awesome. How much does it cost?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.