Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

New pension recipient and very confused.

New pension recipient and very confused.

Old Feb 16th 2020, 12:15 am
Just Joined

ConfusedinOklahoma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New pension recipient and very confused.

Hi everyone, newbie here. Sorry if this question has been answered already but I really need help.

So...I’m 58, a green card holder here since 2011, and as of August 2019 in receipt of a monthly local authority occupational pension from when I lived and worked in the UK.

I have this monthly pension paid into my UK bank account, and either transfer it over to my US bank or keep it in the UK for when I go
back to visit. It’s only a modest amount, about £360 a month, and the lump sum that went along with it was £16,000.

Now, I’ve looked at the US/UK tax treaty and can’t make head nor tail of it. I think the lump sum may or may not be taxable, but I assume that this year my husband and I will have to file our taxes on paper instead of online, because where do I put the UK pension on the 1040?

As it’s a local authority pension is that counted as a government pension? If it is, or not, does a green card holder pay tax or would that be only if I was a citizen? Is there state tax as well?

I’m so sorry about the rambling, I said I was confused!! I have however been made aware of filing the FBAR for this year.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ConfusedinOklahoma; Feb 16th 2020 at 12:17 am. Reason: Make title bold
Old Feb 16th 2020, 7:59 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New pension recipient and very confused.

I’m not at home so don’t have my paperwork to jog my memory, but, looking at the 1040 online and the instructions, Line 4c is where it goes. I’ve been retired for several years, so have a few miscellaneous pensions & annuities, I simply add them all together and put them on line 4c. And the fact that there’s no 1099 to back up your figures doesn’t matter, as long as you have records that you can refer to if there’s a question in the future.

If you live in the US, you don’t have to concern yourself with the tax treaty. Just pay your tax to the IRS. As for Oklahoma, I do have a bit of experience... many, many years ago my daughter lived there, and I did her taxes for her. I remember the form was very unusual and it seemed to be important to them as to whether she was a chicken farmer. Anyway I’m pretty sure I made a hash of it, but she never heard back from them.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
I’m not at home so don’t have my paperwork to jog my memory, but, looking at the 1040 online and the instructions, Line 4c is where it goes. I’ve been retired for several years, so have a few miscellaneous pensions & annuities, I simply add them all together and put them on line 4c. And the fact that there’s no 1099 to back up your figures doesn’t matter, as long as you have records that you can refer to if there’s a question in the future.

If you live in the US, you don’t have to concern yourself with the tax treaty. Just pay your tax to the IRS. As for Oklahoma, I do have a bit of experience... many, many years ago my daughter lived there, and I did her taxes for her. I remember the form was very unusual and it seemed to be important to them as to whether she was a chicken farmer. Anyway I’m pretty sure I made a hash of it, but she never heard back from them.

Thanks! That’s good to know, I’m wondering if I should paper file and attach something mentioning the lump sum. As far as I know there’s no option to do that online.

Old Feb 16th 2020, 4:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ConfusedinOklahoma
Thanks! That’s good to know, I’m wondering if I should paper file and attach something mentioning the lump sum. As far as I know there’s no option to do that online.
Well, I always file the old fashioned way, via the paper form. Maybe it’s just me - I find it’s much easier and more direct. You actually know what you are declaring and claiming. I’ve used TurboTax three times over the last last many years, and each time I’ve sworn - never again.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Yeah, I think that might be the way to go this year. I’m still not sure about the difference between an occupational pension and one that’s classed as government (local authority).
I think there’s something in the tax treaty about it. Why can’t they put these things in plain English 🤨
Maybe someone will have an idea.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 6:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Local Authority pension to the best of my knowledge is a Government Service Pension.

My wife and I have 5 pensions paid in the UK, just filed my taxes yesterday using Turbo Tax. This year I see there is a 1040-SR which is a tax return for senior citizens. Our UK pensions are listed on line 7a Other Income, and on Schedule 1 line 8 with a note on that line "Pensions from United Kingdom"

Last year it was on line 6 of the 1040 which was line 1 thru 5a and line 22 from Schedule 1 added together.

Before I used Turbo Tax I put my UK pension on line 4c as Robin says. The problem was Turbo Tax wanted to produce and submit a replacement for the tax form the pension provider (if in the US) would produce for the IRS, if the pensions were shown on line 4c. As the providers didn't have a Tax ID number it wouldn't allow electronic filing. Searching the Turbo Tax help forum showed an acceptable solution was to file UK pension as "Other Income" and that was acceptable to the IRS.

As I said above did it that way last year and have not had any problem.

Old Feb 17th 2020, 6:36 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ConfusedinOklahoma
See post #97 in this thread. Also follow the link in post #102.

UK Pensions related to UK/US Tax Treaty
Old Feb 17th 2020, 7:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by lansbury
Local Authority pension to the best of my knowledge is a Government Service Pension.

My wife and I have 5 pensions paid in the UK, just filed my taxes yesterday using Turbo Tax. This year I see there is a 1040-SR which is a tax return for senior citizens. Our UK pensions are listed on line 7a Other Income, and on Schedule 1 line 8 with a note on that line "Pensions from United Kingdom"

Last year it was on line 6 of the 1040 which was line 1 thru 5a and line 22 from Schedule 1 added together.

Before I used Turbo Tax I put my UK pension on line 4c as Robin says. The problem was Turbo Tax wanted to produce and submit a replacement for the tax form the pension provider (if in the US) would produce for the IRS, if the pensions were shown on line 4c. As the providers didn't have a Tax ID number it wouldn't allow electronic filing. Searching the Turbo Tax help forum showed an acceptable solution was to file UK pension as "Other Income" and that was acceptable to the IRS.

Interesting about the new 1040SR, thanks for that information. I’m in England at the moment - I think I’d have to print out the 1040 and the 1040SR to compare them side by side and see what the practical differences are, what problems the new form was created in order to ameliorate.... because as I see it, the standard 1040 has the different categories of income, each person simply uses some lines but not others, according to their sources of income.

I’m returning to the US on 6 Apr, hopefully that’ll give me enough time to get over the jet-lag and prepare & send off the taxes.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 7:12 pm

It seems that the 1040-SR has a larger font when printed, has a chart detailing the standard deductions. It can only be used if you take the standard deduction, if you itemize deductions you use the regular 1040, and you have to have turned 65, or older, before the end of the 2019 tax year.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 3:53 pm
Heading for Poppyland

It seems that the 1040-SR has a larger font when printed, has a chart detailing the standard deductions. It can only be used if you take the standard deduction, if you itemize deductions you use the regular 1040, and you have to have turned 65, or older, before the end of the 2019 tax year.
It might suit us then. We’ve always taken the standard deduction.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Thats great, thanks!