Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

New, overwhelmed, lots of questions

New, overwhelmed, lots of questions

Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:39 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New, overwhelmed, lots of questions

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
The K1 visa is not a "getting-to-know-you-better" visa. It's for engaged couples who are looking to marry in the US. A statement of intent to marry is part of the I-129F petition, which is the first stage of the K1 process. In this statement, both partners must declare that they are engaged to the other, and that they intend to marry each other within 90 days of the foreign fiance(e)'s entry to the US on the approved K1 visa.

The OP has said that they are not ready to get engaged, much less get married. Submitting a statement of intent to marry means they would be knowingly providing false information with the I-129F petition. The last thing anyone should do is lie on an immigration application and/or to immigration officials.

~ Jenney
Did you miss this part of my post?

If you can't afford to travel back and forth and you don't want to get married just yet then get a good webcam and some phone cards or an internet phone thingy.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Tsboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the responses. To be absolutely honest we both get on fantastically with each other and we really feel a special spark. its not like we don’t see ourselves being with each other for along time its just it seems getting marred to continue a relationship seems not the right way (after all if we were in the same county we would not have to do this). I guess my real gripe is that it seems to take all the romance out of it (it feel too practical and less passionate). We are both getting a much clearer picture of what is required thanks to your posts, and your storeys are very helpful. Thanks
Richard
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tsboy
Thanks for all the responses. To be absolutely honest we both get on fantastically with each other and we really feel a special spark. its not like we don’t see ourselves being with each other for along time its just it seems getting marred to continue a relationship seems not the right way (after all if we were in the same county we would not have to do this). I guess my real gripe is that it seems to take all the romance out of it (it feel too practical and less passionate). We are both getting a much clearer picture of what is required thanks to your posts, and your storeys are very helpful. Thanks
Richard
It is the dilemma with international romances. I wish you two the best.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You're absolutely right Richard, a lot of romance was removed from our relationship because of the all the immigration hoops. I met my now hubby while stuying abroad in Scotland. I was 24 and he was 27. We dated for 2 months, then I had to return back to the US to finish school. After calling each other and using webcams and such, we decided that marriage was likely the only option. He did get to propose to me in person, but it wasn't really a surprise, which was a bit disappointing. Finally, 18mo to the day that we met, we tied the knot. Of those 18months we only were physically together about 4.

I had reservations about getting married for the sake of being together as well. We had decided though that we really wanted to be together, and marriage was the only guaranteed way we could. We looked at work visas, and school visas, we even looked at me moving to Scotland. But there was no guarantee that a work visa (H1B) would come through - it takes years for most to get H1Bs, and for a school visa (F-1) he would have to prove he had a crapload of money to pay for tuition and living expenses - which he did not. Most of the decision came down to the financials. For my field and his field, there were more opportunities here, and with my school debt burden, he couldn't support us on his salary if I moved there, so we ended up here.

We celebrated our 4th anniversary two months ago, and we're still going strong. My hubby is getting ready to take the oath ceremony soon to become a US citizen so then we don't ever have to worry about immigration paperwork again. Unless we decide to move to the UK which is a possibility.

Does it work out for everyone that has to jump straight into marriage to be together? No. But even people who spend years dating each other don't always have a lasting marriage. I don't regret marrying my husband, but I have my momentary moments where I wonder if I would have done something different if we had both been from the same country and hadn't had to jump right into marriage. At the end of the day, you both have to be willing to take the jump, and ride with the peaks and valleys.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Sunflwrgrl13, your story kind of sums up what my girlfriend and I are thinking. Congratulations on your 4th anniversary! Your last point is very correct and I totally agree. If your husband becomes a US citizen will that still mean he has a UK passport or dose the one cancel the other out?
Thanks
Richard
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, you don't lose UK Citizenship if you take US Citizenship, you effectively become a dual citizen - even though the US doesn't officially recognise such a status.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:29 am
Just Joined

richardsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks so much for the help! If we decided to go for the fiance visa, we would definitely follow through (just to clarify). It's really reassuring to hear people's stories, so thanks a ton! I think we're probably going to decide this week and then get crackin' on visa applications.

Has anyone tried simultaneously getting visas to each country? The only reason I ask this is that I thought I read somewhere that once the visa is granted you don't have to leave immediately, and then at least the entrance process would be started so we could be in either country once we got married...although now that I think about that, I could see why that might be pointless since I think it's easier in both countries to get a visa once you're actually married. Thoughts? Experiences?
-T.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:52 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardsgirl
Wow, thanks so much for the help! If we decided to go for the fiance visa, we would definitely follow through (just to clarify). It's really reassuring to hear people's stories, so thanks a ton! I think we're probably going to decide this week and then get crackin' on visa applications.

Has anyone tried simultaneously getting visas to each country? The only reason I ask this is that I thought I read somewhere that once the visa is granted you don't have to leave immediately, and then at least the entrance process would be started so we could be in either country once we got married...although now that I think about that, I could see why that might be pointless since I think it's easier in both countries to get a visa once you're actually married. Thoughts? Experiences?
-T.
With the K1 fiancee visa you have 6 months to get to the US after approval and then 90 days to get married. I don't know about the time limit for a UK marriage or spousal visa although we had entertained that possibility for me to move to the UK I really wanted to stay in the US. I do know that if you are American and want to marry in the UK even if you do not plan on living there you need a marriage visa. I don't know the legalities about applying for visas in each country but I doubt tht you could get both at the same time.Maybe someone else can help you with that answer.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The visa to the UK would come through WAY faster than the visa to the USA. The visa to the UK takes at most a month. The visa to the US takes around 8 to 10 months.

Rene
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

richardsgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

hello again!

Richard and I have started working on the I-129F petition packet and I have a couple questions...

What must a Statement of Intent to Marry entail? I've read through the I-129 instructions provided on this site and at the USCIS site, but haven't found any specifics, so I was just going to make it up. I just don't want to give the USCIS any reason to send back the petition if at all possible.

In addition, my understanding is that once the petition has been approved and Richard begins working on the K-1 packet stuff that gets sent to him, we must include an I-134. My question is whether my parents can be co-signers on the affadavit. I don't think I would technically be able to swear that I could support Richard for three years (I think that's the time requirement). Any help or advice is awesome. This forum has been a great resource for us, so thanks to those who have replied and shared stories. I will continue to look on other threads to see if I can find some of these answers.
Thanks,
Tracy
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What must a Statement of Intent to Marry entail?
It just has to state that you are both free to marry, and intend to do so within 90 days of his arrival on the K-1. There's no real format, just a short paragraph will do.

In addition, my understanding is that once the petition has been approved and Richard begins working on the K-1 packet stuff that gets sent to him, we must include an I-134. My question is whether my parents can be co-signers on the affadavit. I don't think I would technically be able to swear that I could support Richard for three years
Yes, your parents can be joint sponsors, if you need them to be. What is your current income?

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:48 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

What must a Statement of Intent to Marry entail? I've read through the I-129 instructions provided on this site and at the USCIS site, but haven't found any specifics, so I was just going to make it up. I just don't want to give the USCIS any reason to send back the petition if at all possible.
Here's a link to where I posted how we wrote our Statements of Intent for our I-129F petition. Feel free to use it as a foundation for your own letters:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...67&postcount=5

~ Jenney
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

I thought I would post on this as the overwhelmed bit is what i want to talk about.

I have the embassy interview on the 23rd of April at 9.00am and I feel completely overwhelmed by everything. It has been a massive slog to get this far (just very time consuming and you never feel you can do long term plans etc) and a really big emotional roller coaster for both of us.

The I-134 affidavit of support is also a really commitment to have made and I feel that we are both at a point where we just feel emotionally drained and totally overwhelmed by it all. I hope what they say about it being the darkest before dawn is true!

Has anyone else felt like this and is this normal?
Old Mar 31st 2009, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Marty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud ofMarty J has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tsboy
I thought I would post on this as the overwhelmed bit is what i want to talk about.

I have the embassy interview on the 23rd of April at 9.00am and I feel completely overwhelmed by everything. It has been a massive slog to get this far (just very time consuming and you never feel you can do long term plans etc) and a really big emotional roller coaster for both of us.

The I-134 affidavit of support is also a really commitment to have made and I feel that we are both at a point where we just feel emotionally drained and totally overwhelmed by it all. I hope what they say about it being the darkest before dawn is true!

Has anyone else felt like this and is this normal?
Hey there, my interview is on the 24th April. I think I'll just be glad when this part of it is all over, and we can start making plans to be together again.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marty J
Hey there, my interview is on the 24th April. I think I'll just be glad when this part of it is all over, and we can start making plans to be together again.
I second that! my interview is in 6 days and im so nervous i feel sick!

mainly im just exhausted, this entire process really takes a lot out of you!

problem is it doesnt stop, not until your a UCS...im going for the K1 visa and after we get married its all about the AOS....yipee :s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.