New fall TV shows

Old Sep 25th 2013, 5:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default New fall TV shows

Yes I know there's a TV thread, which is about a thousand posts long, meh.

New TV show / My considered opinion of it

Betrayal / Didn't watch it for long, seemed crap
Mom (sitcom) / Crap
Low Winter Sun (drama) / Started off good then went crap
Sleepy Hollow (drama) / Crap
Dads (sitcom) / Painfully crap
The Blacklist (drama) / Hmm... not total crap but not that good
The Goldbergs (sitcom) / Dunno, fell asleep, not a good sign
Hostages (drama) / Crap
Brooklyn 99 (sitcom) / Moderately amusing
Lucky 7 (drama) / The story line seems a bit too obvious but it was okay, based on a UK show apparently.
We Are Men (sitcom) / Looked crap from the promos
Trophy Wife (sitcom) / Avoided it, looked crap from the promos
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD / Hmm... jury still out on that one. Storyline seemed a bit thin.

Still to come:

The Originals (drama)
Back in the Game (sitcom)
Super Fun Night (sitcom)
The Tomorrow People (drama) / (Based on the UK show I assume)
Ironside (drama) / (Promos don't inspire confidence)
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (drama)
The Millers (sitcom) / (promos look okay)
The Crazy Ones (sitcom) / (Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar but it looks a bit crap)
Reign (drama)
Welcome to the Family (sitcom)
Sean Saves the World (sitcom)
The Michael J. Fox Show (sitcom) / (looks massively overhyped)
Masterchef Junior (reality - supposedly)

The main positive is that the networks seem to have given up on new reality shows, finally.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 5:17 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New fall TV shows

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yes I know there's a TV thread, which is about a thousand posts long, meh.

New TV show / My considered opinion of it

Betrayal / Didn't watch it for long, seemed crap
Mom (sitcom) / Crap
Low Winter Sun (drama) / Started off good then went crap
Sleepy Hollow (drama) / Crap
Dads (sitcom) / Painfully crap
The Goldbergs (sitcom) / Dunno, fell asleep, not a good sign
Hostages (drama) / Crap
Brooklyn 99 (sitcom) / Moderately amusing
Lucky 7 (drama) / The story line seems a bit too obvious but it was okay, based on a UK show apparently.
We Are Men (sitcom) / Looked crap from the promos
Trophy Wife (sitcom) / Avoided it, looked crap from the promos
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD / Hmm... jury still out on that one. Storyline seemed a bit thin.

Still to come:

The Originals (drama)
Back in the Game (sitcom)
Super Fun Night (sitcom)
The Tomorrow People (drama) / (Based on the UK show I assume)
Ironside (drama) / (Promos don't inspire confidence)
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (drama)
The Millers (sitcom) / (promos look okay)
The Crazy Ones (sitcom) / (Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar but it looks a bit crap)
Reign (drama)
Welcome to the Family (sitcom)
Sean Saves the World (sitcom)
The Michael J. Fox Show (sitcom) / (looks massively overhyped)
Masterchef Junior (reality - supposedly)

The main positive is that the networks seem to have given up on new reality shows, finally.
You've been impressed so far then?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Typically there are only a couple of shows that are any good and the rest get cancelled. I wonder who approves the production of this crap sometimes. It's like they look at the résumé of the director and who the actors will be and that's as far as it goes.

And then there will be a decent show that no-one watches because they put it in a stupid timeslot and they cancel that. And then have a "midseason" replacement that's even worse.

Southland has to the be the classic example, ooh let's put Jay Leno on at a time where no-one will watch him which was obviously stupid and then Southland went on to TNT where no-one watched it and got cancelled.

Or another example was The B---- in Apt 23 which ABC moved all over the schedule then showed the episodes in the wrong order (as a midseason replacement for something that cratered). Oooh, no-one is watching, what a surprise.

Brooklyn Ninety-Nine looks like it's based on the The Good Guys which was quite a good TV show that Fox cancelled. So lots of people complained so they've come up with this, which isn't as good.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You missed SAF3...that was the worst one yet.

Sleepy Hollow and the Blacklist were the best of the bunch. Hostages was okay but only for a mini series, it'll become Homeland if they stretch it out for a longer series.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Typically there are only a couple of shows that are any good and the rest get cancelled. I wonder who approves the production of this crap sometimes. It's like they look at the résumé of the director and who the actors will be and that's as far as it goes.
How does it work here? Do channels produce their own shows, they get a script then form a production team around it, or do independent studios take a punt and shop a pilot around?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:04 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The Crazy Ones (sitcom) / (Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar but it looks a bit crap).
From the promo, I think this might be worth giving a chance.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the real Tomorrow People.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
How does it work here? Do channels produce their own shows, they get a script then form a production team around it, or do independent studios take a punt and shop a pilot around?
Bit of both...
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hostages (drama) / Crap

Have watched the first episodes of both of those, and lets agree to disagree..
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: New fall TV shows

.... The main positive is that the networks seem to have given up on new reality shows, finally.
Let's hope they soon give up on what they try to pass of as "comedy" too. I was recommended The Big Bang Theory as being "hilarious" by several colleagues. I tried watching a couple of episodes last year. ..... Good grief, is that the cutting edge of American humour?
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:14 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Let's hope they soon give up on what they try to pass of as "comedy" too. I was recommended The Big Bang Theory as being "hilarious" by several colleagues. I tried watching a couple of episodes last year. ..... Good grief, is that the cutting edge of American humour?
You have to give Big Bang a while, the comedy comes with knowing the characters (kind of like Frasier was,) it's not really a dip in and out kind of comedy. Took me a while, but became one of my favorite shows, very much looking forward to it starting again this week.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
You have to give Big Bang a while, the comedy comes with knowing the characters (kind of like Frasier was,) it's not really a dip in and out kind of comedy. Took me a while, but became one of my favorite shows, very much looking forward to it starting again this week.
You may be right, but we decided that there was so very little on TV that it wasn't worth what we were paying, so we dropped our cable service entirely. We may eventually replace it with roku or some such, but for now I watch an X Files episode from a DVD once in a while, and occasionally something off Youtube, such as Craig Ferguson.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
That's what my friend told me about that show - she said it's the funniest show on television but you must start at the beginning.

Same with Breaking Bad (not that it's funny - one of the best shows)

Saw Trophy Wife - I love Marcia Gay Harden (THE only reason to watch annoying Newsroom) and she was in it. Not bad for a 1st episode - will see how it develops.

Very disappointed in Low Winter Sun - 2 main characters are Brits. Rubbish.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:52 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by toopie28
.... Low Winter Sun - 2 main characters are Brits. Rubbish.
Did anyone see the Brit original? Was that worth seeing?
Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
When "Seinfeld" and "Taxi" originally started airing on TV, I only occasionally watched either program and didn't find either that funny. It wasn't until they started in syndication and was on TV every night that I got interested. Since then, I've probably watched each episode a half dozen times.

I still haven't gotten interested in "Friends" or "Two and a Half Men".

I really like "Family Guy" but never liked "The Simpsons".

I think it has something to do with understanding the characters.

Last edited by Michael; Sep 26th 2013 at 2:23 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.