Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

New Cricket Wireless prepaid option

New Cricket Wireless prepaid option

Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:23 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Cricket Wireless prepaid option

Originally Posted by Bob
That's good to know.

It's a shame that they're wank up in Maine though. Marginally better than Verizon mind, who don't even exist where we'd end up.

Then again, large chunks of the state is just a black hole
Where in ME are we talking? I drove up to Bar Harbor last year and had full coverage throughout. The only place we didn't get coverage was in the national park, but that's true of all parks. Kennebunkport and the roads around it all had LTE (sometimes back to HSPA+) as well. But I grant you, ME is a huge state so YMMV
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you need to head north of Augusta when service starts to fade....get north of Bangor and it gets a lot more sketchy outside of the towns.

We're talking around the loaf...where everyone is on basic US Cellular, where talk of LTE is just plain silly, voodoo talk
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
This article provides more details ... AT&T relaunches Cricket as nationwide brand with new smartphones, plans, and LTE | Android Central

And another ...
AT&T targets T-Mobile

I can't find it in a quick scan of these articles; are they giving Cricket users access to ATT's roaming partner deals? That is often the 'gotcha' on these discount carriers - they often have full access to the 'core network' they ride on, but don't get the free roaming deals that ATT have worked out for their 'own' (contract based) customers.

There's also no guarantee that you get 'full' access to the host network's full capabilities; I did read in one article that the data rates are capped for Cricket users (relative to ATT users) - not that I would care.

What I'm looking for is a 'smartphone' plan that lets me 'pay as you go' for data, with a zero minimum. No such thing exists, as far as I can tell (and I've looked hard). My g/f NEVER uses data outside the home ... period. She wants a low-cost 'data on demand' type plan that would reflect no usage in many months. There just isn't such a plan for now and may never be ... so I'll probably just add her as a 'shared data' user on my plan.
You might look at the T-Mobile pay as you go plans with sim cards. Me and the G/F switched to them recently. We pay 10c a minute for calls in/out and 10c per text in/out. If you buy a smartphone you can add a package of data (an "on demand pass" for a day/week/month for example) for a certain cost - don't remember what they are as we don't use data, but seemed handy for if we ever did. I think if you use a smart phone at home the calls may go through your wifi for free, but not certain on that yet.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
You might look at the T-Mobile pay as you go plans with sim cards. Me and the G/F switched to them recently. We pay 10c a minute for calls in/out and 10c per text in/out. If you buy a smartphone you can add a package of data (an "on demand pass" for a day/week/month for example) for a certain cost - don't remember what they are as we don't use data, but seemed handy for if we ever did. I think if you use a smart phone at home the calls may go through your wifi for free, but not certain on that yet.
Thanks! I will look into that as it may be a winner for her. She hates using any phone in general, and currently spends about $100/year on her 'pay as you go'-type voice plan - less than $10/mo. She laughs at me with my $150/mo cell phone bill! But then, she craves an iPhone ... and will gladly pay $600 to buy one .. but balks at the monthly commitment (and for that I have to commend her!).

The only real issue here is ... T-Mobile! I've ended up with Verizon DESPITE hating them as a company, and as a technology (CDMA) ... but they work in all the geographic areas I need, something I could not get previously from Sprint, T-Mo, or ATT. Maybe times are-a-changin' ...
Old Sep 18th 2014, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Thanks! I will look into that as it may be a winner for her. She hates using any phone in general, and currently spends about $100/year on her 'pay as you go'-type voice plan - less than $10/mo. She laughs at me with my $150/mo cell phone bill! But then, she craves an iPhone ... and will gladly pay $600 to buy one .. but balks at the monthly commitment (and for that I have to commend her!).

The only real issue here is ... T-Mobile! I've ended up with Verizon DESPITE hating them as a company, and as a technology (CDMA) ... but they work in all the geographic areas I need, something I could not get previously from Sprint, T-Mo, or ATT. Maybe times are-a-changin' ...
Yeah it makes no sense to switch carriers if you cant get service where you are. I switched from AT&T gophone recently and used the same $20 phone with a new TMobile sim. Saves me 10c a text! Not that I use the mobile phone much - I probably spend $3 or $4 a month on it for calls/texts, unless I'm travelling. Otherwise I use Ooma at home ($3.70/mo) and plan my calls to friends and family for when I'm at home. Personally I don't see the need to have internet access everywhere I go. However, the G/F got a Windows smartphone from TMobile for $80 after switching from a Verizon contract. She's also on the 10c plan but can use the wifi on that phone at home/cafes/hotels/airports etc which may be handy in the future, or could add a data package as previously mentioned.