Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

National dress/costume

National dress/costume

Old Aug 12th 2008, 3:45 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default National dress/costume

Watching the opening ceremony of the Bejing Olympics and seeing all the gorgeous national costumes from the various privinces of China got me thinking about the English national costume. The other three countries of the UK have one, what do we have? I vote for raincoat, wellies and umbrella...........any other ideas?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Gettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to all
Default Re: National dress/costume

If yo'ud believe the Daily Fail, the men should be in tracky decks, hoodies and burberry, the women should be in pink and white toweling and cheap glitter, and all attractively draped in .5 carat faux-gold and should be clutching a bottle of white lightening while vandalising a bus stop.

I personally think we should break out the Morris Men costumes for our national dress, that or a Gumby outfit of string vest, knotted hankie on head and wellies.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Watching the opening ceremony of the Bejing Olympics and seeing all the gorgeous national costumes from the various privinces of China got me thinking about the English national costume. The other three countries of the UK have one, what do we have? I vote for raincoat, wellies and umbrella...........any other ideas?
Burberry.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gettingtheflipout
If yo'ud believe the Daily Fail, the men should be in tracky decks, hoodies and burberry, the women should be in pink and white toweling and cheap glitter, and all attractively draped in .5 carat faux-gold and should be clutching a bottle of white lightening while vandalising a bus stop.

I personally think we should break out the Morris Men costumes for our national dress, that or a Gumby outfit of string vest, knotted hankie on head and wellies.
Should have read ahead!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

All hail 'Shell Suits' !! for men and women !

England wouldn't allow for National Costume........ it would be deemed Politically incorrect to create a divide in the multi cultural communities !
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:11 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by oldbag
When i was in America, we went to Epcot centre in Disney World and the national theme for the UK was "Morris Dancers"

WTF
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Gettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to allGettingtheflipout is a name known to all

Ah disney, that great and wonderful recepticle of international culture...

Bit like the portapotty at Glastonbury after not being emtpied for three nights running- everything sort of mixes together, and nobody wants to go near any of it other than to say "gosh, yes... I'll be over here..."

Britain has no national dress, and never should. I love the fact that its a bigger "melting pot" than the US, in some respects, in the sense that we have so many different cultures here, and we all, for the most part, co-exist- we care, for example, when one culture says "that offends us", and we then try and do something about it.

I know a lot of people snear at it, but I'm rather proud of my homeland precisle because we seem to care what people think, and we kind of see it as important.

Yay britain.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:17 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

How about a pinstripe suit, bowler hat and umbrella? For men and women, of course.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 3:53 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mally Lass
All hail 'Shell Suits' !! for men and women !

England wouldn't allow for National Costume........ it would be deemed Politically incorrect to create a divide in the multi cultural communities !
The Aussies have beaten us to it. They have blue shell suits this year.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:23 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gettingtheflipout
Ah disney, that great and wonderful recepticle of international culture...

Bit like the portapotty at Glastonbury after not being emtpied for three nights running- everything sort of mixes together, and nobody wants to go near any of it other than to say "gosh, yes... I'll be over here..."

Britain has no national dress, and never should. I love the fact that its a bigger "melting pot" than the US, in some respects, in the sense that we have so many different cultures here, and we all, for the most part, co-exist- we care, for example, when one culture says "that offends us", and we then try and do something about it.

I know a lot of people snear at it, but I'm rather proud of my homeland precisle because we seem to care what people think, and we kind of see it as important.

Yay britain.
Yep, I actually agree with you......my opening post was TIC
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

I know- just got a bit of the old national pride hit me when I thought about it properly

But I would be up for a national dress if it was one that took the michael out of ourselves- couldn't stomach it if people took it seriously, but having a laugh at our own expense is sort of a British characteristic, so this should be incorporated into the costume
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I'm Scottish so we can always swaith ourselves in tartan "shortbread tin" style. How about union jack shorts and t-shirts that say "Brits on the Piss" LOL.

I am so over the Olympics and we're only at the halfway mark - 2 out of the 5 channels in Australia are showing them non stop. The other 2 are showing re-runs of Law and Order/CSI and the ABC is showing re-runs of Poirot which I just hate.

And please don't suggest I get out and get a life, it's winter, and southern NSW is CLOSED until the October long weekend!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
I'm Scottish so we can always swaith ourselves in tartan "shortbread tin" style. How about union jack shorts and t-shirts that say "Brits on the Piss" LOL.

I am so over the Olympics and we're only at the halfway mark - 2 out of the 5 channels in Australia are showing them non stop. The other 2 are showing re-runs of Law and Order/CSI and the ABC is showing re-runs of Poirot which I just hate.

And please don't suggest I get out and get a life, it's winter, and southern NSW is CLOSED until the October long weekend!

My god, I know just how you feel!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

We have greatly changing history of fashions rather than any sort of national dress. But we do have a clearly defined history of clothing, the V&A full is of it!

We need an entirely different take on an opening ceremony, something celebrating our diversity of history and openess of culture perhaps .. not like you'd actually get further from China than that.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

now, now- give 'em a chance- when they've been running the world for a few decades and have had a chance to see the world, and then consequently lose that empire to someone else (India, Sweden, Bognor Regis, who knows...), I'm sure they'll be a bit like the UK is- remember, during the height of the british empire, there was nothing we enjoyed doing than marching into other peoples countries, shoving everyone around and sneering at their cultural differences while "civilising" them

And I'm sure when Bognor rules the world, they'll do the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.