Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Natasha Richardson passes away at 45

Natasha Richardson passes away at 45

Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:11 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Natasha Richardson passes away at 45

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
An accident is simply an accident, and if it's your time there's no changing it.
Sorry but that is just so wrong.

In my job in London I saw quite a number of people saved by the prompt response of someone nearby who knew what to do and recognized a need to act.

An accident is an accident but the outcome of some can be changed and someones time delayed. It is a tragedy that some people decline hospital treatment thinking they are not to badly hurt when the damage is unseen inside with perhaps a needless outcome as possibly in this case.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Sorry but that is just so wrong.

In my job in London I saw quite a number of people saved by the prompt response of someone nearby who knew what to do and recognized a need to act.

An accident is an accident but the outcome of some can be changed and someones time delayed. It is a tragedy that some people decline hospital treatment thinking they are not to badly hurt when the damage is unseen inside with perhaps a needless outcome as possibly in this case.
Well, you can believe what you want to believe. My personal belief would say that in your example, it was not their 'time to go'. I'm not saying that people shouldn't get medical treatment, but sometimes medical treatment can only do so much, as it seems the case was here.

Without knowing details, it appears to me to be a simple accident, and hopefully there will not be litigation brought to bear on the resort.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:31 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you can believe what you want to believe.
I'm not saying in this case it would have made a difference but the time has come approach does nothing for anyone.

The Golden Hour can make a big difference. It doesn't have to be for obviously serious injuries but also where people have had a serve blow but do not appear to have suffered external injury.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 8:45 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Always wear a helmet. Bugger the hat hair.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 10:52 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

every morning my dad used to give me sixpence and pat me on the head

Now I am a millionaire with a flat head
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:03 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I just feel so sad for her family. I've looked at a couple of online photo slideshows of her, and in every photo of Natasha Richardson and Liam Neeson, he's pulled her close and she's turned towards him. They just just looked so much in love.

And then that makes me think about "Love, Actually," where Neeson's character is a widower (Daniel) who's lost the love of his life. In the beginning of that film, Daniel is utterly shattered by the loss. But the difference between that and Natasha Richardson's death (aside from the film being fiction, of course) was that Daniel's wife died after a long battle with cancer. At her funeral, Daniel even comments about how they had had time to plan it, down to the song she wanted played as her casket is carried out.

Tragically, Liam Neeson wasn't as "fortunate" (for lack of a better word) as his character. His wife was taken very quickly and suddenly from him. And I know there are people who experience the same kind of thing every day, and it just breaks my heart.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:27 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

A bit of perspective:

On the news today - a report that an elderly Palestinian lady was walking too near Israeli troops and the Officer ordered his soldiers to shoot her.

Now I am not a Palestinian or a supporter - just a person

To me, that sounds more like tragedy because it was deliberate.

An accident is awful for everyone and I don't minimise it, but to have a loved one deliberately shot dead by order ?

Sometimes I think we are too ready to live our lives vicariously through celebrities rather than step back and take the overview

Nobody started a thread for this lady though she was on the same news
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:35 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Losing someone suddenly is horrible regardless of the circumstances, in my opinion.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Losing someone suddenly is horrible regardless of the circumstances, in my opinion.

~ Jenney
It varies quite a lot depending on circumstances.... if someone is a heavy drug user and a depressive, then the news (shock) of their suicide is somewhat more easy for their family to get their head around even though it was unexpected.

A simple fall or a ski accident or a motorcycle accident is a shock but again it can be comprehended though it's effect is terrible at the time. When I was 19 and a police officer, I had to go tell a woman that her 15 year old son had drowned while swimming in the river with his friends 400 yards away. She fell on me and I held her for an hour while she was repeatedly sick down my uniform. Then I went home and had pork chops and chips for tea. Some job that. I realised I was getting shockproof when I found myself eating my sandwich off a dead man's chest in the mortuary

When someone is abducted and killed, then there is the rage at the person who did it to add onto the shock and grief

Sometimes it's even more complicated - I know about the death of an engineer in an industrial accident and it turns out he had 3 wives located around europe and none of them knew about the others - they would be pretty confused more than anything

I still think that after the initial shock which can be the same in all cases, the longer term grief and damage is done by deliberate killings as there is so much vengeance /justice lust invested in it and 'why' and 'unnecessay' and it twists the relatives sometimes forever

The parents of the children who were victims of the moors murderers never recovered. The family of a person killed accidently will never forget, but they can repair their lives

My point really is that many of us live our lives spying into the lives of celebrities and don't stand back and look at what else is going on in the world outside the celebrity circle. You can imagine my views on the princess diana hysteria.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=exvj;739987
My point really is that many of us live our lives spying into the lives of celebrities and don't stand back and look at what else is going on in the world outside the celebrity circle. You can imagine my views on the princess diana hysteria.[/QUOTE]

You make some valid points and I agree with most of what you say, to a point. I do think though, that most of us (that are interested) get caught up in celebrity news/gossip, about a celebrity that we enjoy watching, or following in a tv show or movies etc. I will watch a movie for example, just because a favorite actor/actress is in it, because I expect that I will enjoy it. I have favorite music artists and am interested (nosey) to see what goes on in their lives. There isn't any way to avoid all the news/gossip surrounding the entertainment industry really, unless you live in a hole somewhere. I would think that most people feel 'something' when they hear the news of a celebrities death, no matter how they died. It is someone they 'know' almost, or feel like they know, especially if it is someone they really like or respect in that profession. Princess Diana is a good example of that. (sorry)
The lady you talked of earlier that got shot for no reason, is definitely no less of a loss to her family and friends than Natasha Richardson, but for the average person on the street, it doesn't have the same impact that a celebrity that we 'know' does. Right or wrong, we hear reports every day of shootings, killing, all over the World, and to be honest, unless it is US/UK military a celebrity, a natural disaster that made the news, terrorism against your homeland etc, it would normally be something that we may think "oh that is terrible/sad/wrong" but unfortunately it's not going to stay in our minds for too long. It's in our faces every day on the tv, it's not shocking to us anymore. That's just the way it is. IMHO.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 5:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Next thing we'll see the media making a deal out of this, telling us to hit the ER every time you take a fall no matter how minor. An accident is simply an accident, and if it's your time there's no changing it.
If you strike your head then yes, you do need to go to the ER for observation.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If you strike your head then yes, you do need to go to the ER for observation.
I agree. Yesterday our 7 year old fell off the monkey bars and hit her head. Of course she didn't tell anyone, probably because nothing hurt when the falling was done. She did say that when she got up she felt a bit dizzy. At any rate, when my husband picked her up from school she told him her head hurt and what had happened....this of course made him slightly nervous and he's not a nervous person. With all the news about slight head injuries..... In the end I called the nurse at the doctor's office, she told me what to watch for and the kid slept with us last night......I got no sleep and she slept like a baby.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Englishtart
You make some valid points and I agree with most of what you say, to a point. I do think though, that most of us (that are interested) get caught up in celebrity news/gossip, about a celebrity that we enjoy watching, or following in a tv show or movies etc. I will watch a movie for example, just because a favorite actor/actress is in it, because I expect that I will enjoy it. I have favorite music artists and am interested (nosey) to see what goes on in their lives. There isn't any way to avoid all the news/gossip surrounding the entertainment industry really, unless you live in a hole somewhere. I would think that most people feel 'something' when they hear the news of a celebrities death, no matter how they died. It is someone they 'know' almost, or feel like they know, especially if it is someone they really like or respect in that profession. Princess Diana is a good example of that. (sorry)
The lady you talked of earlier that got shot for no reason, is definitely no less of a loss to her family and friends than Natasha Richardson, but for the average person on the street, it doesn't have the same impact that a celebrity that we 'know' does. Right or wrong, we hear reports every day of shootings, killing, all over the World, and to be honest, unless it is US/UK military a celebrity, a natural disaster that made the news, terrorism against your homeland etc, it would normally be something that we may think "oh that is terrible/sad/wrong" but unfortunately it's not going to stay in our minds for too long. It's in our faces every day on the tv, it's not shocking to us anymore. That's just the way it is. IMHO.
After my moan about people being celebrity obssessed, my wife came home and was looping all evening about how awful it was while she watched CNN and that intrusive old ghoul with the braces (suspenders)

I went in the bedroom and watched a program on blowing up ships to make an artificial reef in new zealand

Each to their own I guess
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:43 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I fell while getting off a ski lift at Lake Tahoe a few years ago. I fell backward and banged the back of my head quite severely. Hubby picked me up, I laughed, and brushed it off. The ski lift operator didn't jump out and call an ambulance. No one took any notice. It happens all day long on ski slopes. It was just a tragic accident.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I have the actors/actresses/musicians that I like to watch/listen to, but I really could care less about what goes in their private lives. Their lives & tragedies are no more important than what happens to a 'normal' everyday person. It's no less sad that the woman down the street was killed by a drunk driver than it is for this woman to die. Every life taken by a preventable accident is a tragedy.

I'm not belittling her life, but I think the media belittles the everyday person by not telling us some of their stories of loss, and only focusing on someone famous who's died.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.