Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Name 5 American movies that an expat should see before coming to the USA.

Name 5 American movies that an expat should see before coming to the USA.

Old Mar 21st 2019, 1:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Name 5 American movies that an expat should see before coming to the USA.

What are five movies that you would recommend to a new immigrant as being essential for understanding American life, culture, etc? I'll take a stab but wondering what other ones people would recommend?

1) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - An American's idealistic view of government.
2) The Godfather - Just because.
3) Forrest Gump - A walk through recent American history.
4) One of the following: The Natural, Rudy, Field of Dreams or Hoosiers -- the idealistic dreams of sport in America.
5) Avalon - A nice story of immigrants to America adjusting to life as the country changes.

Bonus #1
Animal House. - The scenes and quotes from this movie are classic and frequently worked into conversations.

Bonus #2
If you have kids, any one of the following: Breakfast Club, Risky Business, American Pie or Fast Times at Ridgemont High--all about the lighter side of being a teenager in the USA.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:15 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name 5 American movies that an expat should see before coming to the USA.

Oh, this is fun! I'll do ten.

1. Dazed and Confused: the best and likely most authentic American high school movie ever made. The primary actors look a little old for high school, but a lot of this is accurate.
2. John Adams (miniseries): brings to life a critical phase in America's history and serves as a good introduction to many of the key personalities involved in the early days.
3. Hoop Dreams: an essentially perfect documentary of two young, talented black basketball players that follows them for years. So much truth in this.
4. LA Story: the most perfect satire of the west coast I've seen. A fairly gentle movie but captures the ridiculousness and appeal of California.
5. Red River: in the running as the best western ever made. One of the all-time great evocations of myth of the American west.
6. Jaws: not only one of the great adventure movies of all time, also captures seaside New England just about perfectly.
7. The African Queen: Humphrey Bogart's character in this movie is the most American man I think I've ever seen on film, or at least American men as we would like to see ourselves.
8. Office Space: terrific satire of the America workspace, also everyone will be constantly quoting this so you should probably see it.
9. Sin Nombre: not set in America, but tackles some of the situation south of the border really well. Unforgettable.
10. Smokey and the Bandit: it's mostly awful, it's terribly dated, it's a stereotype of stereotypes, it's kind of sexist... but it's also fun, ridiculous escapism that somehow works. Has there ever been a more American movie? Also, Jackie Gleason is terrific in this and apparently it was Alfred Hitchcock's secret guilty pleasure.

Last edited by Hiro11; Mar 21st 2019 at 2:18 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name 5 American movies that an expat should see before coming to the USA.

1) American Graffiti (cruising the strip)
2) Porkys (My favorite american high school movie)
3) Slap Shot (Ice Hockey sendup. The Hanson Brothers !! )
4) Two-Lane Black Top (On the highway Drag Racing 70's style)
5) Home for the Holidays (Understanding Thanksgiving)
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not 5 but...

Blues Brothers.
Uncle Buck.
Philadelphia.
Born in the USA
Stripes
Godfather series.
Rocky series
The French Connection
Rambo series
Magnolia
Chinatown
Glengarry Glen Ross
12 Angry Men
American Graffiti
Swingers
Napoleon Dynamite
The Big Short

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 21st 2019 at 4:11 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Talladega nights
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Talladega nights
Raise you a DodgeBall and Zoolander.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 5:55 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Groundhog Day (especially if you are moving to PA)
Old Mar 21st 2019, 6:04 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
What are five movies that you would recommend to a new immigrant as being essential for understanding American life, culture, etc? I'll take a stab but wondering what other ones people would recommend?

1) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - An American's idealistic view of government.
2) The Godfather - Just because.
3) Forrest Gump - A walk through recent American history.
4) One of the following: The Natural, Rudy, Field of Dreams or Hoosiers -- the idealistic dreams of sport in America.
5) Avalon - A nice story of immigrants to America adjusting to life as the country changes.

Bonus #1
Animal House. - The scenes and quotes from this movie are classic and frequently worked into conversations.

Bonus #2
If you have kids, any one of the following: Breakfast Club, Risky Business, American Pie or Fast Times at Ridgemont High--all about the lighter side of being a teenager in the USA.
I assume that this is tongue in cheek as 90 percent of Hollywood movies bear little or no resemblance to real life
Old Mar 21st 2019, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Green Card ?
Old Mar 21st 2019, 7:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My first decade in NYC could be pretty well summed up by the fascinating documentary "The Bronx is Burning," and the movies "Summer of Sam," 'Do the Right Thing," and "Saturday Night Fever"!
Old Mar 21st 2019, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

John Q - John Quincy Archibald takes a hospital emergency room hostage when his insurance won't cover his son's heart transplant.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 2:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

No Country for Old Men
Fargo
O Brother Where art thou
Raising Arizona
The Graduate
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

The movie that sticks in my mind is "Easy Rider". I hope I won't be in trouble for suggesting it for the list!
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 2:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The movie that sticks in my mind is "Easy Rider". I hope I won't be in trouble for suggesting it for the list!
Good one. I can't believe i forgot it. We watch it often enough or we listen to the soundtrack!
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Good one. I can't believe i forgot it. We watch it often enough or we listen to the soundtrack!
I'm delighted that you're a fan, too. I only saw it once, when it was new, but it made as big an impression on me as all but a very few other films.

I used to be keen on Westerns, in my youth. "High Noon" still sticks in my mind - one of the last of the black-and-whites, was it? I think I must have seen that at boarding school! The most memorable Western of all, though, was - and remains, in my mind - "Butch Cassidy..." Even better than "Cat Ballou" - and by god doesn't that name confirm my senior status. I thought Jane Fonda was the sexiest thing in jeans!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.