My lovely dog!

Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My lovely dog!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The problem is the two of them are not reading our posts properly. They are reading what they want to hear then jumping in with both feet first. They both seem to think because they have worked with rescue dogs they are qualified to lecture to the rest of us.
Oh what bullshit. I actually stepped out of this thread, because it was clearly pointless. I merely made a point that I think it's not nice, and then said however it's up to the OP whatever the hell they want to do. I didn't lecture you, I certainly can read very well thankyou, and I didn't "jump in with both feet" into anything.

Just because I have a different opinion than you doesn't make me wrong, or "talking bollocks", or unable to read.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The problem is the two of them are not reading our posts properly. They are reading what they want to hear then jumping in with both feet first. They both seem to think because they have worked with rescue dogs they are qualified to lecture to the rest of us.
I have read everything quite clearly. My initial post was to agree with others that they don't agree with crating.

It was others who then jumped in to defend the practice !

So who's lecturing who ?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Leslie66
But British dog lovers on this thread have told you that they used crates in the UK. Or do they not count?
That's why I stated "were not" as accepted in the UK.

I can only speak for my time from birth until i came here. Things may have changed. But, the whole time, the many places and people I knew with animals, none of them crated a dog.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:02 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Consequently the carpet in the doorway is now knackered. Thought about a patch from some on the closet floor since it matches and then fixing the closet with something else but the carpet itself is so old and knackered the hessian backing is coming away etc etc so probably won't be possible.

Anyway. What's peoples experience with this from a tenant/landlord perspective? Would you expect just the room to be redone or given the carpet matches throughout that the whole place be done?
Would you also expect a bill for the retail amount? Or a depreciated price (given it 'looks' pretty old anyway) or something else???

I have accepted already this'll cost me something but wondering how it might pan out.

Cheers.
Are there hardwood floors under the carpet?

How long do you expect to stay in the apartment?

You might be able to get away with ripping up the whole old carpet then sand, stain and seal the hardwood. This will actually add value to the property so the landlord should go for it. It is also a dead easy job that can be done in a day, dust is the only problem... and that the dogs claws will probably scratch it up after a while...

We own a two family house and rent out one side of it. As a landlord having hardwood floors is awesome!! All the other crap sucks though. I spent Sunday morning replacing the window frame to the front door of the tenants side; she keeps slamming the door and the frame cracked :curse:
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
Are there hardwood floors under the carpet?

How long do you expect to stay in the apartment?

You might be able to get away with ripping up the whole old carpet then sand, stain and seal the hardwood. This will actually add value to the property so the landlord should go for it. It is also a dead easy job that can be done in a day, dust is the only problem... and that the dogs claws will probably scratch it up after a while...

We own a two family house and rent out one side of it. As a landlord having hardwood floors is awesome!! All the other crap sucks though. I spent Sunday morning replacing the window frame to the front door of the tenants side; she keeps slamming the door and the frame cracked :curse:
Easy job!!!!????

I've done that - it took days! And huge mess!

Any landlord in the US would have your head for that I believe, that kind of renovation is certainly not allowed. And probably hardwood wouldn't be desirable in a rental for the most part.

Maybe some individual place - but anything with multiple rentals would have a fit imo.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:42 pm

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tracym
Easy job!!!!????

I've done that - it took days! And huge mess!

Any landlord in the US would have your head for that I believe, that kind of renovation is certainly not allowed. And probably hardwood wouldn't be desirable in a rental for the most part.

Maybe some individual place - but anything with multiple rentals would have a fit imo.
Okay, "easy job, imo". I've done a few.

But, just to clarify, you'd do it as a good will jesture with approval from the landlord. I have come across people doing this quite frequently around these parts. A mate of mine is putting in a whole central air system in his rented apartment "in good will". I know that they actually needed an excuse to rip apart part of the apartment after a particularly amusing party
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, "easy job, imo". I've done a few.

But, just to clarify, you'd do it as a good will jesture with approval from the landlord. I have come across people doing this quite frequently around these parts. A mate of mine is putting in a whole central air system in his rented apartment "in good will". I know that they actually needed an excuse to rip apart part of the apartment after a particularly amusing party
Well ok, my definition of easy and yours is not the same I got it done, but invented new swear words in the process.

I don't know - most landlords I was familiar with would have not liked surprise renovations at all. Perhaps it's different in your part of the country.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well ok, my definition of easy and yours is not the same I got it done, but invented new swear words in the process.
I got great bogies from all the dust as well...

I don't know - most landlords I was familiar with would have not liked surprise renovations at all. Perhaps it's different in your part of the country.
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like it should be a surprise, defo ask first.

Are you near Oak Park per chance? Lovely bit of the 'go that
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I got great bogies from all the dust as well...

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like it should be a surprise, defo ask first.

Are you near Oak Park per chance? Lovely bit of the 'go that
I bet they were spectacular!

I'm quite a bit north of Oak Park, but I agree it is a nice area.