Wikiposts

My lovely dog!

Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My lovely dog!

Originally Posted by ukelaine
This mainly boils down to the different Cultures UK and USA

Elaine
I'm British...well I've only just become a USC.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I'm not saying that some brits don't adapt to some of the USA cultures, maybe you have been here a long time ? Came as a child ?

Elaine
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying that some brits don't adapt to some of the USA cultures, maybe you have been here a long time ? Came as a child ?

Elaine
Almost 12 years....but I had crates in the UK before moved here.

Dogs like a small, safe place of their own. When my daughter was born she was taught if my 'girls' went back to their beds it was because they wanted to be left alone and she should not disturb them. For instance when we first moved here my dog would hide under the dining room table when she sensed a storm. You just have to make sure they have enough room to move around vs the time they are alone.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by augigi
I've had a tenant with dogs (not permitted!) who wrecked a patch of my (new) carpet - I was pissed, because it was brand new. You can just get a section fixed - I did have spare carpet to use though. You definitely should not be responsible for recarpeting the apartment, as you're only required to restore it to the condition it was in when you moved in (not better).

PS: I don't know if crating is an american thing like declawing cats, but it sounds horrific to me - some people leave their animal for 8-10 hrs in a crate while they're at work.. just seems so cruel. Don't get a dog if you need to leave them in a tiny box for hours every day.
Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I can agree that having to leave your dog in a crate for 8-10 hrs a day while you're at work is somewhat unfair. My OH and I felt it was so unfair that we gave our last puppy to my aunt since she has a sizeable backyard (our work schedules changed for the worse). However, I definitely believe that crating at night is a good idea. You're at least at home and can hear if the dog goes crazy or something. We're thinking about doing the crate at night so our new pup can sleep in the same room with us, without worrying about her roaming around at night.
Almost 12 years....but I had crates in the UK before we moved here.

Dogs like a small, safe place of their own. When my daughter was born she was taught if my 'girls' went back to their beds it was because they wanted to be left alone and she should not disturb them. For instance when we first moved here my dog would hide under the dining room table when she sensed a storm. You just have to make sure they have enough room to move around vs the time they are alone.

Please don't misunderstand me....I know where augigi and ukelaine are coming from...it's just not as simple as that.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 1st 2008 at 1:49 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Your post shows that you never bothered to read Tracy's or my post correctly...you just jumped in with both feet.
Nope, I type with my hands actually
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

agedgrandad is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost 12 years....but I had crates in the UK before we moved here.

We have used them for years here in the UK for exactly the reasons you give; and if the crate door is left open when you are at home, it gives the dog the chance to take a time-out whenever they want.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You can also buy large plastic crates and large nylon collapsable ones. These would be better for anyone concerned that the dog may damage its claws or feet on a metal crate.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:43 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I didn't actually address any of my response to you, I was clearly answering Tracy's post, as noted by the use of the quote marks. I didn't comment on your dog at all.

I volunteer at an animal shelter and see a lot of things which people do to make their lives more convenient while ignoring their dog's needs, like putting them in a crate. You won't convince me that it's preferable to putting them in a safe room with the door closed.

Anyhow, to each their own opinion. I think it's horrific. If the OP doesn't, he is free to go ahead and put his dog in a crate.
So at this animal shelter you volunteer at - do all the dogs roam around free in full sized rooms of their own? Or are they caged for their own safety and the convenience of the workers? Because, by your own logic if they're "crating" animals it is really just some sort of torture dungeon for dogs.

Besides, you talk bollocks. Crating is a proven method to use when properly training dogs.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 11:55 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Elaine
OMG, are you serious?

She's a pseudo Brit because she doesn't agree with you? Musta been AmurikaniZed from being here too long?

My UK-born-bred-n-raised-for 50 years DH, who bred, reared, trained, showed and raced big dogs in the UK agrees with the crating concept, FWIW.

Declawing cats, as I'm sure you know, is a surgical amputation of the last segment of the cats paw (finger). Crating can hardly be compared with that.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

We also crate our dog, and our dog likes his crate. Do the research on it, there's quite a bit out there.

Also - the comment about "well trained dogs don't eat carpet" - that's not really fair. Puppies aren't born knowing exactly what they can, cannot do ... it takes training to get them there, and I'd like to meet someone who hasn't had their dog do a single thing wrong during the training stage.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by KJ2007
We also crate our dog, and our dog likes his crate. Do the research on it, there's quite a bit out there.

Also - the comment about "well trained dogs don't eat carpet" - that's not really fair. Puppies aren't born knowing exactly what they can, cannot do ... it takes training to get them there, and I'd like to meet someone who hasn't had their dog do a single thing wrong during the training stage.
In the case of my dog...it was a piece of carpet left by the patio/sliding door in the kitchen. It was one of those woven carpets...pull a thread and you can pull out yards of the yarn. This is what happened to my doberman...yards of the damn stuff were threaded throughout her intestines...that's why it didn't show up on the initial xrays. After her PM the vet said even if they had opened her up there was nothing they could have done. He said her inside was the equivalent to the heading on curtains...UK curtains that is.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

In the case of my dog...it was a piece of carpet left by the patio/sliding door in the kitchen. It was one of those woven carpets...pull a thread and you can pull out yards of the yarn. This is what happened to my doberman...yards of the damn stuff were threaded throughout her intestines...that's why it didn't show up on the initial xrays. After her PM the vet said even if they had opened her up there was nothing they could have done. He said her inside was the equivalent to the heading on curtains...UK curtains that is.
Oh JG - I'm so sorry. That must have been terrible. I can envision the kind of carpet you're talking about - and that sounds horrible. I think the safety point is an excellent one. I consider our dog to be pretty well-trained (he's not perfect, but we get compliments about him, and he's a lab so part of it is growing out of it) but that doesn't mean that I won't catch him trying to eat a pair of socks, a pencil, keys, a baseball cap, you name it. Generally if he's quiet it's worth checking, and luckily he has a terrible poker face if he has something.

As a side note - have you ever tried bullysticks instead of bones as a treat for your dog? Mine is happily eating one now.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Oh JG - I'm so sorry. That must have been terrible. I can envision the kind of carpet you're talking about - and that sounds horrible. I think the safety point is an excellent one. I consider our dog to be pretty well-trained (he's not perfect, but we get compliments about him, and he's a lab so part of it is growing out of it) but that doesn't mean that I won't catch him trying to eat a pair of socks, a pencil, keys, a baseball cap, you name it. Generally if he's quiet it's worth checking, and luckily he has a terrible poker face if he has something.

As a side note - have you ever tried bullysticks instead of bones as a treat for your dog? Mine is happily eating one now.
Thank you.

Labs are known for chewing...no matter what age they are. My dobe was 9 and she'd never, ever damaged anything until that morning. I was only out for about 1 hour taking my daughter to school. So now I'd rather err on the side of caution.

If I'd had the choice of having my house ransacked by an intruder or her...I would have chosen her.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 2nd 2008 at 1:04 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tried to tell you in karma but have to spread it around ... we're glad to have you.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

well I've had dogs for around 20 years (15 in the UK) and every dog I've had (8) has been crate trained. That is not to say they spend all day in a crate, it is merely a technique used to establish home ground for the dog. Given the right training the dog will not soil the crate, the crate will become "home" and will be used as explained in previous posts; a place to chill.

we leave the crate doors open almost ALL the time simply because the dogs are good dogs (we have 2 adult chihuahuas & 1 9 week old Jack Russel). We take the crate with us when we travel and the dogs remain at ease throughout.

Currently we're training the Jack Russel and I have to say she's doing extremely well, I point to the crate and she goes in without question, potty training is in progress and going well to... again tho it comes down to this.... she knows the crate is her "home" and thus when she needs the bathroom she doesn't want to soil it and she lets us know with a bark or 20.... let her out and she bolts for the door to do her business.... eventually she'll let us know when she's not crated and there ya go... job done.

Crates and crate training are like anything else; a crutch for some; a tool for others; normal for many; anathema to few.

To the OP - tell the landlord there was damage and ask him how to proceed, tell him you can get it fixed if he wishes, or he can handle it if not. Whichever way you go full disclosure is your best bet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.