Wikiposts

My lovely dog!

Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My lovely dog!

Originally Posted by Tracym
aaak sorry, it was early in the morning, I wasn't paying attention

I would never leave a dog 8-10 hours in a crate. But although it may sound horrific - it isn't (not for a reasonable period).

Dogs tend to be bored and sleep when you're away. Dogs naturally (from wolves) would sleep in a den. I have kept dogs in a crate when I wasn't home, when they were young. That prevents them from hurting themselves (like from eating carpet, breaking windows, etc.). They weren't crated once I was confident they (and the house) would come to no harm.

However - for a long time I left a crate in the house, with the door open. The dogs (even one who had never been crated) would fight over who got to go sleep in it - when they wanted a nap, that's where they wanted to go. This is very common. It becomes their own little special place, and they will choose to be in it, when they don't have to.

Some things sound "horrific" if you aren't used to them.
Exactly. Like I said earlier one of my dogs died because she chewed carpet whilst I was out. If I'm away for a couple of hours I put them in the crate...any longer I leave the crate open and section part of the kitchen off. Dogs actually like a crate...it's their den where they feel safe and secure. BTW I have 2 small dogs and like you said they sleep most of the time...as long as they can snuggle up together they are happy.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 1st 2008 at 8:47 am.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Totally disagree. Regardless of whether I'm "used" to it, it's not fair to secure a dog in a tiny box for hours at a time, whether or not you're implying that their ancestors liked sleeping in a den. LOL.

Putting a crate there with the door open for a dog to curl up in to sleep is a lot different to locking the door to one so it can't get out and stretch for hours.

Properly trained dogs don't eat carpet or break windows.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I am not happy
I thought this would be about a song by Father Ted
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Totally disagree. Regardless of whether I'm "used" to it, it's not fair to secure a dog in a tiny box for hours at a time, whether or not you're implying that their ancestors liked sleeping in a den. LOL.

Putting a crate there with the door open for a dog to curl up in to sleep is a lot different to locking the door to one so it can't get out and stretch for hours.

Properly trained dogs don't eat carpet or break windows.
Tiny box!!!! I have a 3 1/2 lb dog...she has a large crate. Besides I didn't say for hours at a time...I said for a couple of hours.

Gimme a break. What do you know about what happened to my dog? FYI it was a doberman...a stranger had been around the house trying to get in. She went frantic. She was 9 years old and had never damaged anything before. Some dogs do things they wouldn't normally do during thunderstorms. So get off you high horse.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 1st 2008 at 9:51 am.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't actually address any of my response to you, I was clearly answering Tracy's post, as noted by the use of the quote marks. I didn't comment on your dog at all.

I volunteer at an animal shelter and see a lot of things which people do to make their lives more convenient while ignoring their dog's needs, like putting them in a crate. You won't convince me that it's preferable to putting them in a safe room with the door closed.

Anyhow, to each their own opinion. I think it's horrific. If the OP doesn't, he is free to go ahead and put his dog in a crate.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

miss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
It's what the pet deposit and general deposit is for...
We lost both of those when we had to live in an apartment for a year cos the dog wrecked the carpet amongst other things.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 9:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I didn't actually address any of my response to you, I was clearly answering Tracy's post, as noted by the use of the quote marks. I didn't comment on your dog at all.

I volunteer at an animal shelter and see a lot of things which people do to make their lives more convenient while ignoring their dog's needs, like putting them in a crate. You won't convince me that it's preferable to putting them in a safe room with the door closed.

Anyhow, to each their own opinion. I think it's horrific. If the OP doesn't, he is free to go ahead and put his dog in a crate.
Well use the quote system then...you didn't use it in that post and posted directly after me.

Your post shows that you never bothered to read Tracy's or my post correctly...you just jumped in with both feet.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 1st 2008 at 10:18 am.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are going to disagree then.

My dogs are about as doted upon as any dogs. And any crate a dog would be in, they'd have plenty of room to move around.

I had someone come around the windows when I wasn't home (I could see the footprints). Nice (well-trained!) dogs jumped up and broke the window.

Good thing they only bled a little.

I've trained dogs, shown dogs, bred dogs... I am certainly not in any way cruel to them.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Well we are going to disagree then.

My dogs are about as doted upon as any dogs. And any crate a dog would be in, they'd have plenty of room to move around.

I had someone come around the windows when I wasn't home (I could see the footprints). Nice (well-trained!) dogs jumped up and broke the window.

Good thing they only bled a little.

I've trained dogs, shown dogs, bred dogs... I am certainly not in any way cruel to them.
That's similar to what happened at my house Tracy. My doberman spent 3 days in pain after that incident...it happened on a Thursday morning. On Friday she was under the weather so I took her to the vets...he kept her in thoroughly examined her and xrayed her but couldn't find anything. I brought her home later that day. I sat up with her every night whilst she was ill. The vet visited my home several times over the weekend but he was still at a loss. On the Sunday night he said that she looked brighter...so bring her in first thing tomorrow and I'll open her up 'cos she hadn't eaten and was fetal vomiting. As she seemed more or less back to normal I went to bed because I hadn't slept since Thursday. When I got up the next morning she'd just died. I had a PM done on her...it was carpet that had stuck in her intestines. I took her home and buried her at the bottom of the garden...by the river under the ash tree with her sisters.

I love my dogs and it makes me see red that anyone should think otherwise.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's similar to what happened at my house Tracy. My doberman spent 3 days in pain after that incident...it happened on a Thursday morning. On Friday she was under the weather so I took her to the vets...he kept her in thoroughly examined her and xrayed her but couldn't find anything. I brought her home later that day. I sat up with her every night whilst she was ill. The vet visited my home several times over the weekend but he was still at a loss. On the Sunday night he said that she looked brighter...so bring her in first thing tomorrow and I'll open her up 'cos she hadn't eaten and was fetal vomiting. As she seemed more or less back to normal I went to bed because I hadn't slept since Thursday. When I got up the next morning she'd just died. I had a PM done on her...it was carpet that had stuck in her intestines. I took her home and buried her at the bottom of the garden...by the river under the ash tree with her sisters.

I love my dogs and it makes me see red that anyone should think otherwise.
I am so sorry. I've lost a young dog - it is such a painful tragedy - you have my utmost sympathy.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I am so sorry. I've lost a young dog - it is such a painful tragedy - you have my utmost sympathy.
I lost a dog because impacted bone had got stuck in her intestines. It was the first pet I'd ever lost...I was so devastated my husband who was working overseas at the time had to come home.

My vet told me never to give dogs bones and I never have since that day...she died on Valentine's day 1980. I've never celebrated Valentine's day since.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

This mainly boils down to the different Cultures UK and USA

I agree with augigi and I also volunteer at an Animal Shelter and have done animal rescue work on and off over the last 20 years.

Crating an animal over here seems to "many" not ALL, totally normal and even for 8 hours or more, declawing a cat as well.

Many say well if I didn't do these things, then I'd just have to get rid of the animal and it would end up dead !

"I'm not having my furniture ruined or have to clean up after an animal when I come home after a long day."

And for some God forbid if it actually goes to toilet in it's crate !

Thankfully, now more Vets will not do declawing any more, THANK YOU !!

One of the constant battles with my husband was even having my animals IN the house. I was shocked at how many people leave their dogs and cats outside 24/7, and in the case of dogs even chained up.

Imagine the sight of a small chihuahua chained up outside ... I've seen it.

Thankfully, also, here in California we now have a law that an animal cannot be chained up longer than 3 hours. Not sure if this covers all of America or just CA.

But, as to crating, I don't know how this got started over here in USA, wish it hadn't. One American lady even commented to me how filthy our homes must be in England having dogs in the house LOOSE and cats that still have their claws ! LOL

Apart from the fact i wanted to SMACK HER ! I remained calm and explained that very few of us Brits have animals and not train them, so our homes are not in terrible condition from our pets, Children MAYBE !! LOL

It's an ongoing struggle and now at the shelters we are already getting the throw away pets that were brought at Xmas time with parents coming up with every excuse in the book to get rid of them

The worse case i saw as regards to crating was a Great Dane, lady had him in a posh part of town Coronado in an apartment, dog was crated 18 out of 24 hour day

The lady had been doing this since a pup, the poor dogs legs were deformed from being in this situation. Her answer when asked why she did this "Well, what was I suppose to do, I didn't have time to train the dog and I didn't want dog hair or pee and poop everywhere !

Thankfully I never meet the lady.

Elaine
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I lost a dog because impacted bone had got stuck in her intestines. It was the first pet I'd ever lost...I was so devastated my husband who was working overseas at the time had to come home.

My vet told me never to give dogs bones and I never have since that day...she died on Valentine's day 1980. I've never celebrated Valentine's day since.
Mine died right before Christmas.

That holiday took a while too.

Yes, the proponents of this "BARF" (bones and raw food) diet try to say it's a good idea, really dangerous imo.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ukelaine
This mainly boils down to the different Cultures UK and USA

I agree with augigi and I also volunteer at an Animal Shelter and have done animal rescue work on and off over the last 20 years.

Crating an animal over here seems to "many" not ALL, totally normal and even for 8 hours or more, declawing a cat as well.

Many say well if I didn't do these things, then I'd just have to get rid of the animal and it would end up dead !

"I'm not having my furniture ruined or have to clean up after an animal when I come home after a long day."

And for some God forbid if it actually goes to toilet in it's crate !

Thankfully, now more Vets will not do declawing any more, THANK YOU !!

One of the constant battles with my husband was even having my animals IN the house. I was shocked at how many people leave their dogs and cats outside 24/7, and in the case of dogs even chained up.

Imagine the sight of a small chihuahua chained up outside ... I've seen it.

Thankfully, also, here in California we now have a law that an animal cannot be chained up longer than 3 hours. Not sure if this covers all of America or just CA.

But, as to crating, I don't know how this got started over here in USA, wish it hadn't. One American lady even commented to me how filthy our homes must be in England having dogs in the house LOOSE and cats that still have their claws ! LOL

Apart from the fact i wanted to SMACK HER ! I remained calm and explained that very few of us Brits have animals and not train them, so our homes are not in terrible condition from our pets, Children MAYBE !! LOL

It's an ongoing struggle and now at the shelters we are already getting the throw away pets that were brought at Xmas time with parents coming up with every excuse in the book to get rid of them

The worse case i saw as regards to crating was a Great Dane, lady had him in a posh part of town Coronado in an apartment, dog was crated 18 out of 24 hour day

The lady had been doing this since a pup, the poor dogs legs were deformed from being in this situation. Her answer when asked why she did this "Well, what was I suppose to do, I didn't have time to train the dog and I didn't want dog hair or pee and poop everywhere !

Thankfully I never meet the lady.

Elaine
Well, sorry, but I'm glad you're not the majority. We will just have to disagree.

Yes, crating can be abused, as can many things. But done properly, it is the safest thing for a puppy, and can avert tragedies.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Mine died right before Christmas.

That holiday took a while too.

Yes, the proponents of this "BARF" (bones and raw food) diet try to say it's a good idea, really dangerous imo.
One of my dobermans stole a chicken bone...just as I was dropping it in the bin. I stuck my hand right down her throught and fished it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.