Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

My Holy Crap This Only Happens to Other People NY Minute

My Holy Crap This Only Happens to Other People NY Minute

Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default My Holy Crap This Only Happens to Other People NY Minute

Just disembarked from my Metro North Train to the city on 4/03 and was walking on the left side of the platform when I had to pass a structure that encloses the down stairs to the lower level. At the end of the structure saw a rag mop and went to step over it and wham! I fell off the platform onto the railroad track. Landed on my left side with my left upper arm hitting the metal rail with full force. Several men jumped down to lift my from the tracks; someone else called 911, etc. Lost consciousness at that point. Woke up with people crowded around me. Police and EMS workers etc. Was taken by ambulence to Bellevue Hospital where I received wonderful care from nurses and doctors.

I was cat scanned for head injuries -- none. Had lump on thigh and my upper left arm broken in two places. Was casted and at 6 p.m. sent home with a note to see an ortho surgeon at home.

It was very scary and painful and when my own othro x-rayed it the bone were in place and he said it should heal nicely and I would have full use of the hand and arm.

Two weeks later the bones had shifted and I required surgery to have a rod placed through the bone from shoulder to elbow. Talk about pain after surgery. I would not wish this on anyone.

Well it has been a week and 4 days and saw the doc yesterday. The rod and bone are aligned properly and it will be another few weeks before I can begin therapy. YEAH!

I am on disability, thank God. The only bill I have gotten so far was for the ambulance and that was $719 and I was told not to pay as they were going to submit it to my insurance company.

Praying that the prognosis holds true and that I will be back to normal by May 31st.

I had a lovely angel with me from the moment I was lifted off the track until my family arrived at the hospital. She stayed with me the entire time from Grand Central to Bellevue, called my family, reassured them and kept them up to speed on what was happening and never left my side.

I love New Yorkers.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Holy Crap This Only Happens to Other People NY Minute

Ouch!

Glad you're now on the mend.

Very scary.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:17 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man, that sounds painful. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear you had an accident. I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. Glad someone stayed with you until your family arrived. There are lovely people out there.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:33 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds scary and painful Glad you received great care from professionals and the public. Hope you make a speedy recovery
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - bad timing could have made that so very different. Glad you're on the mend, best wishes.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:50 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief Rete,

how horrible.
Very glad to hear you're on the mend. Take care and don't ruh things xxx
Old Apr 30th 2013, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

So.. given you're a New Yorker you'll be suing, right

I love New Yorkers too. They have a reputation for being abrupt etc, but I've found them nothing but helpful especially when I've been looking lost of the subway.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds terrifying! Glad you're on the mend, Rete.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch...good luck for a speedy recovery!!
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Ouchy! Glad it worked out ok.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, Rete! I can't imagine how scary it must have been to fall onto the track! So very glad to hear that a wonderful New Yorker stayed with you throughout -- hope the family have been able to head north to be with you. Also hope you are right handed (I went down on the ice a few years ago and broke my right arm -- my left handed typing is not stellar!).

Sending hugs and hoping that the recovery goes according to plan -- don't stint on the physical therapy when you get to that stage, it really does help.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear of your accident Grandma Rete. Thank goodness you are on the mend now. Someone was looking after you that day...it could have been so much worse. All the very best.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:48 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear that!

Thank God you're okay and on the mend.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Just disembarked from my Metro North Train to the city on 4/03 and was walking on the left side of the platform when I had to pass a structure that encloses the down stairs to the lower level. At the end of the structure saw a rag mop and went to step over it and wham! I fell off the platform onto the railroad track.
Ouch, I know exactly where you mean Rete - I was surprised the limited clearance of those areas was allowed. In England the Safety Elfs would never allow it!

Glad you weren't too seriously hurt, and I hope you make a full recovery.

I love New Yorkers.
Me too. Last year I lost an envelope containing a UK tax refund check which I was taking to the Post Office on Lexington near Grand Central to post to our UK bank. A few days later it turned up in our mail - some kind soul had dropped it into a mailbox and the USPS returned it to us as there was no stamp. That would not have happened in London!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.