My friend got fired

Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My friend got fired

Would she have known it was a strip joint in advance as opposed to say, a bar?
Old Dec 18th 2014, 10:52 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

She knew it was a strip club but her understanding of the policy was that it was only not okay if they had a vendor or a client with them, i.e. someone from outside the company or if it was something that had officially been arranged there. Given that they were work colleagues and it wasn't official and it was not on company time it didn't really register that it might be a problem.

And frankly I don't think it was, they were just looking for an angle to get rid of her boss' boss. I just can't wrap my head around getting fired for something that trivial, maybe a letter of reprimand or something.

You wouldn't have any employees left if that approach was taken generally.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The problem is that people forget who you are and you're out of the loop. Like, she had no clue that her employer was gunning for this guy. Not privy to the office gossip.

I did say this to her when she was offered the transfer. It's one thing to work from home some of the time but when it's all of the time, it can be a problem.
Certain things can irritate a boss. Maybe he doesn't like people working from home and that irritated him. Although she was willing to work at the office, the damage may have already been done. Cell phones are often an irritation but people leave them on when talking to their boss and the phone rings.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm

So the work connection is what?

Seems really odd.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 6:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
So the work connection is what?
She managed to get hold of someone at HQ who had more info than the HR dept. Apparently one of the people there did file for expenses, which is how they became aware of it and they didn't fire him because he is a "whistleblower" and the reason it's taken so long to come after her is because they initially went after the high ranking guy who was there and that dragged on for months.

This makes no sense, so in talking to the other people who are now being fired themselves they tell her they reckon he did it on purpose to put the knife into his boss because he knew they wanted an excuse to get rid of him, so instant promotion. He probably didn't realize they would fire everyone else there too.

What blows my mind is the more she tells me the greater the lack of any ethical standard there seems to be. It all sounds very Machiavellian.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that she is gay should not be relevant to anything.

If she was the least senior person there, she ought to be able to claim that she was 'expected' to be there; it wasn't a free choice. And she could claim she didn't know what the nature of the place was until she was already there - too late to object.

The fact they offered her alternatives just a few weeks earlier would suggest they were looking for excuses to get rid of her.

I would think HR would settle if she got a lawyer involved.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 3:32 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
The state of American capitalism. It truly stinks.
^^ This. The US is an appalling country from an employment perspective. The country disgusts me at times. Come back England, mostly all is forgiven.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 5:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
^^ This. The US is an appalling country from an employment perspective. The country disgusts me at times. Come back England, mostly all is forgiven.
It's not just the US, Canada is only marginally better but it all depends on what state your comparing as some states are overall better then Canada, but obviously some states are worse, there is no one size fits all for the US or Canada.

I imagine Mexico isn't all that grand for labor standards either.

If you wan't good labor standards, North America isn't the place to be.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 5:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I would think HR would settle if she got a lawyer involved.
She's got a lawyer but the lawyer wants a percentage fee off any settlement. As they already offered her a better severance package just prior to all this happening, she's trying to get that back by using the threat of legal action.
Old Dec 25th 2014, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

She's got a lawyer but the lawyer wants a percentage fee off any settlement. As they already offered her a better severance package just prior to all this happening, she's trying to get that back by using the threat of legal action.
She may get screwed even more by using a lawyer. The lawyer will probably want a 1/3rd of any settlement including what already the company agreed on and if the case isn't really strong where there is a high probabality of a big judgment against the company, the lawyer isn't going to put in a lot of time and effort.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 8:10 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Yeah, why can't we be more like France, Italy or Spain and run 50% youth unemployment and earn half the PPP-adjusted disposable income? It's disgusting that we have such high employment rates and average incomes. Absolutely disgusting. The system has failed!
Old Dec 26th 2014, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Yeah, why can't we be more like France, Italy or Spain and run 50% youth unemployment and earn half the PPP-adjusted disposable income? It's disgusting that we have such high employment rates and average incomes. Absolutely disgusting. The system has failed!
Are you deliberately missing the point?

What kind of benefits and protections do you have in your job?
Old Dec 26th 2014, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What blows my mind is the more she tells me the greater the lack of any ethical standard there seems to be. It all sounds very Machiavellian.
The place where my husband worked in the US was effectively run like 'Boardwalk Empire'. The amount of backstabbing and use of favours is astonishing.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 11:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
A lot of people live well below average income in the US, my guess is you have not worked for 8/hr and try to keep the basics you need to survive...

In the US companies have the upper hand, in Europe it appears employees do, both seem to have gone to an extreme one way or another, but there has to be a common ground we could find.
Old Dec 26th 2014, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The place where my husband worked in the US was effectively run like 'Boardwalk Empire'. The amount of backstabbing and use of favours is astonishing.
I won't back stab co-workers, I know most would back stab me or anyone else in a heart beat to get ahead, but I won't play those games and its silly these sorts of things have to go on, office politics makes me happy I don't work in that kind of work setting anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.