Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA! Salary Question

Wikiposts

Moving to USA! Salary Question

Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA! Salary Question

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Until that particular Tech Bubble burst. Time for another one do you think?
My guess is yes; too many 'silly' companies like Twitter and Facebook, Uber and AirBnB, Tesla, etc. I appreciate what they do, but are they worth their valuations ... time will tell (I thought Google was a flash in the pan too, but boy was I wrong about them).

My point, above, about how I think it should be easy to fire employees, is because the easier it is to fire, the more likely those same companies (or their replacements) will be to hire when things turn around. If getting rid of someone is very tough, then you have to think twice about any hiring decision. But if getting rid of someone is relatively easy, then you don't mind hiring when you have the work.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
That was before major outsourcing to India and other countries. Now IT is global and not just for Western countries
Outsourcing has been around for quite some time, and I feel like it has matured/stabilized. One of my clients in the Bay Area has an off-shore development relationship in India, but they are also hiring a lot of local talent (most of whom are of Indian origin, ironically). I worked with a couple of Indian guys in the mid-90s in SF who were in the process of setting up an operation 'back home' (Hyderabad) to do development.

Anecdotally, I was at the Costco in Sunnyvale the other evening, and I would say 80% of the customers were Indians - all techies and their families by the looks of them.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 2:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Outsourcing has been around for quite some time, and I feel like it has matured/stabilized. One of my clients in the Bay Area has an off-shore development relationship in India, but they are also hiring a lot of local talent (most of whom are of Indian origin, ironically). I worked with a couple of Indian guys in the mid-90s in SF who were in the process of setting up an operation 'back home' (Hyderabad) to do development.

Anecdotally, I was at the Costco in Sunnyvale the other evening, and I would say 80% of the customers were Indians - all techies and their families by the looks of them.
I have noticed the same at BJ's here in NC. Although we see very few Indians in the area, they seem to be drawn to the membership clubs, and based on my casual observations comprise about 20% of BJ's business here.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Have to be the West Coast, after all as you said, "I have a West Coast mindset".
The rub is, I love where I am now. Northern California.
West is best
Old Jul 4th 2016, 3:39 am
Just Joined

halfhalf1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update on this post!

Finally settled in a bit. Loving it so far. Wish it wasn't so f***** hot all the time though, otherwise can't complain!
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halfhalf1
..... Wish it wasn't so f***** hot all the time though, otherwise can't complain!
About the weather? .... Of course you can, you're British!
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:23 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

HOT?? In Richmond, VA??

Come to Texas...... 96 every day for the last 20 odd days.

Glad it's all going well.