Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA! Salary Question

Wikiposts

Moving to USA! Salary Question

Old May 30th 2016, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA! Salary Question

Originally Posted by jjmb
To the OP congratulations, now you just need to get the visa sorted out.
No, he doesn't - the OP is a dual US / UK citizen.
Old May 30th 2016, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
No, he doesn't - the OP is a dual US / UK citizen.
oops miss that bit. Even better then.
Old May 30th 2016, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halfhalf1
Regardless, thank you everybody for your comment. I have spoken with the HR today and I have even negotiated a higher salary! I will be making the move to the USA in 2 weeks, and I hope I can continue posting on this forum!
good luck. Another positive point is that if you decide to return to the UK, you would be in a stronger position to get a better UK salary having earned a decent amount in the US.
Old May 30th 2016, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

halfhalf1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yellowroom
good luck. Another positive point is that if you decide to return to the UK, you would be in a stronger position to get a better UK salary having earned a decent amount in the US.
The list of benefits keeps growing. I even just bought my plane ticket for only £300, can't wait!
Old May 30th 2016, 10:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The list of benefits keeps growing. I even just bought my plane ticket for only £300, can't wait!
£300! With which airline? From where to where?
Old May 30th 2016, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
£300! With which airline? From where to where?
Gatwick to BWI! Check out kayak.com right now from london to the states . seems prices are very competitive.
Old May 31st 2016, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Gatwick to BWI! Check out kayak.com right now from london to the states . seems prices are very competitive.
Is it one of those 'via Iceland' flights, with a huge layover? I've looked at those, but it'd be too much hassle with the kids. We're flying to the UK via Toronto this summer.
Old May 31st 2016, 12:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kodokan
Is it one of those 'via Iceland' flights, with a huge layover? I've looked at those, but it'd be too much hassle with the kids. We're flying to the UK via Toronto this summer.
only 13 hours in total. So just a bit of a layover
Old May 31st 2016, 1:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... just a bit of a layover
Obviously you don't have children!
Old May 31st 2016, 2:21 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
We're flying to the UK via Toronto this summer.
Like all the sensible people

A 2 hour drive to Toronto for us, then a direct flight into the UK, beats dealing with getting to a local airport and then changes. And at good times of the day in both directions. And very reasonable pricing too.
Old May 31st 2016, 2:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
... but given that this is a forum specifically intended for British expats why is it surprising that the people that come here are mostly from that very specific minority.

Long time US residents, whether born here or not, should not take offense when things are discussed from the point of view of a British expat. The OP was looking for specific advice to help them to decide whether it was worth their while to move half way around the world to take a particular job and most of the replies were trying to provide him with information to help him to make that decision.
I appreciate the expat point of view and for the most part stay away from discussions where income is discussed. I understand that you come to a foreign country to better yourself and your lifestyle.

The point is that the OP wanted not to know if the salary he was offered was sufficient for his career but sufficient to live on as he is unaware of hidden costs are involved in living in the US compared to the UK.

I felt there was no reason to go off on a particular poster who is just as entitled to an opinion even if it differs from others.

I don't see that anyone on this thread offered him any assistance in his real question but rather harped on what his salary should be in the IT industry. Where are the posts that gives him the information on withholdings from his salary for taxes, medical insurance, dental insurance, 401K participation, medicare deductions, social security deductions? Where are the posts offering assistance on cost of housing rental and grocery costs?

Having earned a salary equivalent to his, I can tell him from experience that he can live quite well on $93,000 a year. In comparison to NY State costs for groceries and housing, he is well ahead of the game. I doubt that he would have to pay $1500 to $2200 for a one bedroom apartment. His costs for automobile insurance should be reasonable and he can definitely be able to afford a nice car, furniture, clothing, trips, dinners out and nights at the pub without living hand to mouth.

So enough already, give the OP what he is looking for information on the cost of living in Richmond, VA.

Last edited by Rete; May 31st 2016 at 3:01 am. Reason: corrected the pronoun gender
Old May 31st 2016, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Rete
..... The point is that the OP, who is a she by the way, ......
No, "she" isn't, "she" is a he!
I'm a guy! ....
Old May 31st 2016, 2:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, "she" isn't, "she" is a he!
Thanks for the correction.

Doubt that he is a transgender person
Old May 31st 2016, 2:59 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see that anyone on this thread offered her any assistance in her real question but rather harped on what her salary should be in the IT industry. Where are the posts that gives her the information on withholdings from her salary for taxes, medical insurance, dental insurance, 401K participation, medicare deductions, social security deductions? Where are the posts offering assistance on cost of housing rental and grocery costs?

already done. Or was it too boring reading through all the posts? A single person living on a $100k salary is hardly going to have to count the pennies either. They already mentioned 401k match, I recommended that they look at health insurance costs and whether the company paid it all or just subsidised it.

Last edited by Bob; Jun 1st 2016 at 1:54 am. Reason: quote fix
Old May 31st 2016, 3:05 am

.... I don't see that anyone on this thread offered him any assistance in his real question .....
Post #10, long before the arguing about IT salaries set in, was susinct and seems to contain the information the OP was looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.