Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA! Salary Question

Wikiposts

Moving to USA! Salary Question

Old May 29th 2016, 12:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA! Salary Question

Originally Posted by halfhalf1
After looking at the website Zillow, it seems that property is very cheap in Richmond and in the surrounding suburbs. I'm glad to hear I will live comfortably with this salary as I'm hoping to finally being able to afford my own apartment. In London it is impossible right now.
There are good reasons why some areas inside the city limits are cheap, so you will need to check out the areas and decide whether they are agreeable to you. City-data.com often has good information on specific areas within a city, and you should look specifically for the crime data as that can be highly variable across a city - it can mean the difference between gunfire being heard frequently and rarely if ever, and as little as a couple of blocks distance can make a world of difference.
Old May 29th 2016, 1:37 am
Just Joined

halfhalf1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are good reasons why some areas inside the city limits are cheap, so you will need to check out the areas and decide whether they are agreeable to you. City-data.com often has good information on specific areas within a city, and you should look specifically for the crime data as that can be highly variable across a city - it can mean the difference between gunfire being heard frequently and rarely if ever, and as little as a couple of blocks distance can make a world of difference.
I went to a university in Richmond for a year and lived in downtown in an area called the Fan. I'm hoping to stay in about the same area as before. Did get too drunk a few times and stagger off into neighbo(u)rhoods that reminded me of a war zone. Won't be doing that again!
Old May 29th 2016, 1:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a university in Richmond for a year and lived in downtown in an area called the Fan. I'm hoping to stay in about the same area as before. Did get too drunk a few times and stagger off into neighbo(u)rhoods that reminded me of a war zone. Won't be doing that again!
The Pulaskis went out for dinner a few years ago (not in Virginia) and on the way home I took a shortcut through a "low income" part of the nearby town, and inadvertently drove into an armed police persuit/standoff!

By the time I had realised that police cars were parked across the road, the police were already behind us (off to one side) surrounding their target, with guns drawn, so I couldn't drive forwards and certainly didn't want to turn around and go back! Luckily I was able to drive over the sidewalk and escape down a side road. Mrs P has prohibited me from driving that way again after dark!
Old May 29th 2016, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The Pulaskis went out for dinner a few years ago (not in Virginia) and on the way home I took a shortcut through a "low income" part of the nearby town, and inadvertently drove into an armed police persuit/standoff!

By the time I had realised that police cars were parked across the road, the police were already behind us (off to one side) surrounding their target, with guns drawn, so I couldn't drive forwards and certainly didn't want to turn around and go back! Luckily I was able to drive over the sidewalk and escape down a side road. Mrs P has prohibited me from driving that way again after dark!
Google Maps doesn't have a route income filter
Old May 29th 2016, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 29th 2016, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I earned around $95k when I lived in Richmond, VA. I lived in Glen Allen rather than the Fan, but you'll find money will go a lot further than it would in London. I had a great quality of life, paid rent and still had enough left over to continue to pay my mortgage on my UK house.

It's a great job offer, but not so outlandish as to be unbelievable.
Old May 29th 2016, 7:56 am
Just Joined

halfhalf1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yellowroom
I earned around $95k when I lived in Richmond, VA. I lived in Glen Allen rather than the Fan, but you'll find money will go a lot further than it would in London. I had a great quality of life, paid rent and still had enough left over to continue to pay my mortgage on my UK house.

It's a great job offer, but not so outlandish as to be unbelievable.
Pay for rent and pay for a mortgage? I can barely pay for my rent here in London! But my job offer is in Glen Allen, never went out there when I lived here but on google maps seems to be a business area.
Old May 29th 2016, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Pay for rent and pay for a mortgage? I can barely pay for my rent here in London! But my job offer is in Glen Allen, never went out there when I lived here but on google maps seems to be a business area.
not just a business area. Housing tends to be suburban and family orientated though, the Fan is the area for young professionals/graduates with a much more vibrant social buzz.
Old May 29th 2016, 9:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
No it isn't, but I don't understand *your* point.

While salaries do vary across the country they don't vary nearly as much as the cost of living does.

That $93,000 job in Richmond VA might pay $115,000 in San Francisco but the person in Richmond is going to be much better off because the cost of living in San Francisco is so very much higher.
But will they be wealthy, which is what the OP is really questioning if you re-read her post. Claims there aren't any wealthy areas of Richmond and is questioning if the cost of living is so far out of line with the UK that those in the US making a decent wage are living in near poverty.
Old May 29th 2016, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
But will they be wealthy, which is what the OP is really questioning if you re-read her post. Claims there aren't any wealthy areas of Richmond and is questioning if the cost of living is so far out of line with the UK that those in the US making a decent wage are living in near poverty.
Actually the OP has already lived in that area and appears to understand what it would cost to live in various areas. Their concern was primarily whether the salary which they had been offered, which appeared to them to be very high compared to what they were earning in the UK was likely to be genuine, and the answer to that is that, yes, it is not out of line for that type of job in the US.

I still have no idea what johnwoo was really going on about apart from the fact that he apparently took exception to the fact it was pointed out to him that the extent to which $93k can be considered to be a "very good" salary varies depending on what part of the country you are talking about.
Old May 29th 2016, 11:04 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP $93k sounds about right from what I've seen here in Austin - you'd probably get a bit more here but IT peeps are in high demand.

Healthcare "included" - that doesn't necessarily mean it's free. Find out if they subsidise all or part of the healthcare premiums and what plans they offer. Negotiate like mad for holiday equivalent to what you have in the UK or it might take you years to get back to the amount you have now and you will want to go home to see the folks. Car insurance is more expensive over here in the US too.

Have you looked up your company's profile on glassdoor? You will get a bit of feedback on whether this company pays well or not.
Old May 29th 2016, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Actually the OP has already lived in that area and appears to understand what it would cost to live in various areas. Their concern was primarily whether the salary which they had been offered, which appeared to them to be very high compared to what they were earning in the UK was likely to be genuine, and the answer to that is that, yes, it is not out of line for that type of job in the US.

I still have no idea what johnwoo was really going on about apart from the fact that he apparently took exception to the fact it was pointed out to him that the extent to which $93k can be considered to be a "very good" salary varies depending on what part of the country you are talking about.
I don't know what you're talking about. Whatever you may think I said, I'm and have been fully aware of what is and what is not a good a good salary in various parts of the country, and $93000 is a good salary in Richmond VA.
May be you Tecchies are out of touch with the communities you live in.

Poverty in Richmond highest in the state – The MMJ Post
Old May 29th 2016, 12:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I don't know what you're talking about. Whatever you may think I said, I'm and have been fully aware of what is and what is not a good a good salary in various parts of the country, and $93000 is a good salary in Richmond VA.
May be you Tecchies are out of touch with the communities you live in.

Poverty in Richmond highest in the state – The MMJ Post
Why have you got such a bee in your bonnet?

Techies can earn huge salaries right now - a CS graduate at 21 years old can be earning $125k+ , the top ones even more. The OP's salary is a good one but it's by no means exceptional.
Old May 29th 2016, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Why have you got such a bee in your bonnet?

Techies can earn huge salaries right now - a CS graduate at 21 years old can be earning $125k+ , the top ones even more. The OP's salary is a good one but it's by no means exceptional.
Techies don't live in a techie bubble, well perhaps they do. Don't you get it, most people no matter were they live don't make anywhere near that amount.
No bee in my bonnet, but I do have a social conscious. I'm seeing where I live the house prices going up and up, the house opposite me sold for well above the asking price, guess who moved in. Nice young couple from India, I benefit from it my house is going up all the time. I don't like the fact that lower income people may never own a home. Well yes I guess I do have a bee in my bonnet.
Old May 29th 2016, 1:22 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Techies don't live in a techie bubble, well perhaps they do. Don't you get it, most people no matter were they live don't make anywhere near that amount.
No bee in my bonnet, but I do have a social conscious. I'm seeing where I live the house prices going up and up, the house opposite me sold for well above the asking price, guess who moved in. Nice young couple from India, I benefit from it my house is going up all the time. I don't like the fact that lower income people may never own a home. Well yes I guess I do have a bee in my bonnet.
Lower income people have always had a problem being able to afford a home. Apart from in the 2000's and we all know how that ended up.

I live in Austin, there are plenty of places where people on lower salaries can afford housing. Just not in the "nicer" areas. Isn't that always the case though? I have a lovely house in a nice suburb which I most definitely could not have afforded when we were just starting out. It has taken 20 years of working and paying mortgages and saving.

And that nice young couple from India? Why don't you ask them about their journey to that nice house? The struggle all through school years to get good results to have a shot at a good university where there are approximately 600 applicants for each place? The working in India for not great wages so that they have a shot at a US visa? Did they hit a jackpot? No, they worked their arses off. Just like the rest of us.

Get over yourself and do some volunteer work with underserved communities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.