Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA! Salary Question

Wikiposts

Moving to USA! Salary Question

Old May 28th 2016, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA! Salary Question

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"A very good salary" is your opinion, and no doubt many people working in retail, restaurants, and semi-skilled occupations would agree, but whether it is objectively "a very good salary" for the occupation and the person concerned in this case, is unclear. If md95065 is correct in his glassdoor research, then it is only "a fairly average salary".

Given your location in California, your posting history, and general west coast mindset, I doubt you know anything about the cost of living in Virginia.

In short, other than expressing a layman's opinion, I don't believe you have any objective basis for declaring $93,000 to be "a very good salary" for the OP.
Anymore than do you. Irrespective of whether it's a good salary for the job, $93,000 is a good salary. Salaries in Richmond, Virginia. I can google just as well as anyone else.
Old May 28th 2016, 4:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
.... That's my point. In fact most people in the Bay Area don't make $93,000
But the OP isn't "most people", and he isn't contemplating a job in the Bay Area, so I would suggest that your observation is irrelevant.

If he was contemplating a job in the Bay Area I suspect that $93,000 would be both below market for the OP's occupation, AND be inadequate for a reasonable standard of living given current market prices for houses/ rents, which I suspect that you, as a long term resident of the Bay Area, are not exposed to/suffering from.
Old May 28th 2016, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Anymore than do you. ....
Except I used to live in Virginia, my wife is from Virginia, and it is still only a few hours drive away, so I have plenty of personal experience to draw on, which I believe is what the OP was looking for, because if he had wanted information from Google he could, as you rightly suggested, done that himself. And anyway I explicitly stated that I have no basis for commenting on the adequacy of the salary for the job.
Old May 28th 2016, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Pulaski;11958755]"A very good salary" is your opinion, and no doubt many people working in retail, restaurants, and semi-skilled occupations would agree, but whether it is objectively "a very good salary" for the occupation and the person concerned in this case, is unclear. If md95065 is correct in his glassdoor research, then it is only "a fairly average salary".

Given your location in California, your posting history, and general west coast mindset, I doubt you know anything about the cost of living in Virginia.
I can google just as well as anyone else.

In short, other than expressing a layman's opinion, I don't believe you have any objective basis for declaring $93,000 to be "a very good salary" for the OP.
How about it's 2-3 times his salary in London, considering London is one of the most expensive cities in the world. It's Richmond Virginia, not Richmond London. Irrespective of whether or not it's a good salary for the job, there are a lot of unknowns as to his experience, $93,000 is a pretty good salary. Do you make $93,000. I don't and live very well out here.

Last edited by johnwoo; May 28th 2016 at 4:45 pm.
Old May 28th 2016, 4:45 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I bet the OP is glad he asked...
Old May 28th 2016, 4:52 pm

..... I can Google just as well as anyone else. ....
See #18 above.
..... Do you make $93,000. I don't and live very well out here.
I suspect that not many people of working age and moving to SF today, would say they "live very well" on $93,000.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 28th 2016 at 4:56 pm.
Old May 28th 2016, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I bet the OP is glad he asked...
I guess it depends on ones expectations. If $93,000 isn't good enough, I suggest IT people are over paid. As you may know IT people are driving up house prices in San Francisco with their over inflated salaries. Driving lower income people out. Google buses picking up commuters and gentrifying old neibourhoods.
Old May 28th 2016, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

See #18 above.

I suspect that not many people of working age and moving to SF today, would say they "live very well" on $93,000.
see #22 above.

Last edited by johnwoo; May 28th 2016 at 5:21 pm.
Old May 28th 2016, 5:27 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halfhalf1
Hello everybody!

Quick backstory. I am originally from the USA but I left when I was 1 year old and have lived in London ever since. My parents are both American but moved to England for work and just never went back. I have both passports and I'm looking into moving back to the USA sometime this year.

I am currently working in IT and I have applied for a lot of jobs in Richmond Virginia which is where I studied abroad for a year and loved it. I have been offered a few jobs and the pay is almost 2-3 times as much as I make now in London. While this looks great on paper I'm curious to how far my money will actually go. I didn't feel as if people in Richmond were very wealthy so I'm curious if Americans have a lot more expenses than we do.

Here is the most attractive offer I have received.
Base salary USD 93,000. Full match of 401k. 15 days paid holiday with an option to take as much time off unpaid as I want. Healthcare provided from the company.

Is this really too good to be true?
Go for it !
Old May 28th 2016, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I am really not sure what people are arguing about any more ...

In the unlikely event that the OP bothers to read this far I would reiterate that, based on the information provided, it is my opinion that the answer to his question "Is this really too good to be true?" is "No, it is not too good to be true and, in fact, appears to be broadly in line with what I would expect".
Old May 28th 2016, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

halfhalf1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
I am really not sure what people are arguing about any more ...

In the unlikely event that the OP bothers to read this far I would reiterate that, based on the information provided, it is my opinion that the answer to his question "Is this really too good to be true?" is "No, it is not too good to be true and, in fact, appears to be broadly in line with what I would expect".
I did read all of it! Thanks for the discussion everyone.

The part that is weird to me is that London is one of the richest cities in the world, so why in a city like Richmond Virginia are the salaries so much higher in IT.

I don't know how accurate this is https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...rginia/london?
Old May 28th 2016, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

halfhalf1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have much experience of IT salaries and the cost of living in Virginia?

To the OP: I have no comment on the level of the salary for the job, but you should be able to live very comfortably on $93,000 in Virginia. Richmond is on the outer fringes of a commutable distance to DC (where housing is expensive), but so long as you don't look too far north of Richmond you should find housing and the cost of living to be quite reasonable.
After looking at the website Zillow, it seems that property is very cheap in Richmond and in the surrounding suburbs. I'm glad to hear I will live comfortably with this salary as I'm hoping to finally being able to afford my own apartment. In London it is impossible right now.
Old May 28th 2016, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by halfhalf1
The part that is weird to me is that London is one of the richest cities in the world, so why in a city like Richmond Virginia are the salaries so much higher in IT.

I don't know how accurate this is https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...rginia/london?
I think that the answer is simply that salaries in IT (and some other occupations) are significantly higher in the US as a whole than they are in the UK and that, while salaries do vary by region in the US that variation isn't nearly as great as the variation in the cost of living.

According to a US city comparison, San Francisco is about 85% more expensive than Richmond, VA but you will not generally find anything like that variation in salaries between the two areas - it's probably more like 20%.

So, you appear to have been lucky in both your choice of career and location by being in a comparatively well paid job in a comparatively inexpensive place to live.

If you do some web searches you will find quite a lot of discussion of this issue and, while many different theories are advanced about why it is the case, there appears to be general agreement that salaries in the US are much higher than the UK and that a lot of it just comes down to supply and demand. The question is, however, often worded differently as "Why are salaries in the UK so low".

Tech jobs pay over third less in UK compared to New York and San Francisco | Business News | News | The Independent

Last edited by md95065; May 28th 2016 at 7:46 pm.
Old May 28th 2016, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by md95065
I think that the answer is simply that salaries in IT (and some other occupations) are significantly higher in the US as a whole than they are in the UK and that, while salaries do vary by region in the US that variation isn't nearly as great as the variation in the cost of living.

According to a US city comparison, San Francisco is about 85% more expensive than Richmond, VA but you will not generally find anything like that variation in salaries between the two areas - it's probably more like 20%.

So, you appear to have been lucky in both your choice of career and location by being in a comparatively well paid job in a comparatively inexpensive place to live.
I'd agree with that. I've spent the day in the Sonoma wine country. Scrub everything I've said.
Old May 29th 2016, 12:51 am

..... If $93,000 isn't good enough, I suggest IT people are over paid. .....
Well at least you've admitted it, but as far as I remember that isn't among the things the OP asked for opinions on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.