Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Moving to America despite hating it

Moving to America despite hating it

Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:50 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to America despite hating it

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Blokes (usually with comparable girth to myself) wearing jeans that look like they were designed to fit a 10 year old girl. Those big ugly black plastic washers or spikes or some such attention grabbing shite they shove in their ears.

Christ, if that's out of touch, I wish I was too
Somewhere in the not too distant future someone is going to make a lot of money franchising "piercing reversal outlets" to fill in those giant earlobeholes when their owners finally grow up and realise a) what total and utter twunts they look, b) that in a fight, having handy finger sized holes on the side of their heads is not a stunning idea from a tactical viewpoint, and c) their career options are being restricted by boring old fuddy duddies who have some old fashioned notion that attorneys/accountants/business execs/doctors etc should at least make an effort to look like fully developed grown ups instead of mentally stagnated teenagers. They will probably offer package deals along the lines of "have 2 holes filled and get a facial tattoo removal for free!"
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Blokes (usually with comparable girth to myself) wearing jeans that look like they were designed to fit a 10 year old girl. Those big ugly black plastic washers or spikes or some such attention grabbing shite they shove in their ears.

Christ, if that's out of touch, I wish I was too
Sorry this is a thread about America, but a lot of shop assistants here seems to be heavily tattooed/pierced - even middle-aged mum ones in M&S.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:53 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
They will probably offer package deals along the lines of "have 2 holes filled and get a facial tattoo removal for free!"

That sounds somewhat obscene
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere in the not too distant future someone is going to make a lot of money franchising "piercing reversal outlets" to fill in those giant earlobeholes when their owners finally grow up and realise a) what total and utter twunts they look, b) that in a fight, having handy finger sized holes on the side of their heads is not a stunning idea from a tactical viewpoint, and c) their career options are being restricted by boring old fuddy duddies who have some old fashioned notion that attorneys/accountants/business execs/doctors etc should at least make an effort to look like fully developed grown ups instead of mentally stagnated teenagers. They will probably offer package deals along the lines of "have 2 holes filled and get a facial tattoo removal for free!"
I prefer my idea, #300 above, of just selling them for their scrap value.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

phodg is an unknown quantity at this point

Somewhere in the not too distant future someone is going to make a lot of money franchising "piercing reversal outlets" to fill in those giant earlobeholes when their owners finally grow up
Apparently one of the fastest growing businesses to be in is tattoo removal these days. Tons of people got them to be trendy in the last 10 years and now they hate them.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:57 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I prefer my idea, #300 above, of just selling them for their scrap value.
They'd be dead easy to collect as well - just sneak up behind them, thumb through each side and pull. Reminiscent of beer chugging contests at Uni when the winners were invariably the ones that could open the old fashioned ring pull cans ambidextrously.....allegedly....
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by phodg
Apparently one of the fastest growing businesses to be in is tattoo removal these days. Tons of people got them to be trendy in the last 10 years and now they hate them.
Yes, I'd read that too...in fact, I think I read that it is not only the fastest growing, but that removal is actually the largest part of the market - may be wrong there though....

Apparently its a lot more painful to have them removed than it was to have them in the first place...
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:59 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I'd read that too...apparently its a lot more painful to have them removed than it was to have them in the first place...
That's what I've heard, too.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

There's a shop near here offering both tattoos and tattoo removal.

My husband had to go to one of those courses at work about recruitment and apparently asked about facial tattoos and piercings (I didn't know he was bothered about them). He was told he couldn't take these into account for recruitment.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
He was told he couldn't take these into account for recruitment.
Easy to say, a lot harder to turn off the "first impression"
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Easy to say, a lot harder to turn off the "first impression"
I think his concern was people representing his group at international meetings and so on.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

carolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
This is funny... I know exactly how the OP feels. When I was younger I can clearer recall saying how much I despised everything that America stood for, how I have no intention or desire to visit there.

Yet, here I am, a citizen of the United States, married to an American, with two American kids, and have been living here for eleven years.

The question in my mind comes down to do you love your partner more than you dislike America. if the answer is no, don't move.
Funny how things work! Never say never and all that -- I like these stories about romance and love that lasts!
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think his concern was people representing his group at international meetings and so on.
They don't have to if you don't recruit them....and if they do something silly once in, well, then there's a choice to be made on the make-up of the representation team....by then he'll have a better idea as to whether their ability overcomes the fact that they are going to look like a knob-end. Or not...
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
She will be working in the City, what will YOU be doing?

I think to a large extent, happiness in the US is related directly to your own personal situation. If you are stuck at home watching day time tv dwelling on all that is wrong with this country, sure you're not going to like it. If you're out and about doing your own personal American dream it can be more fulfilling.
Yes. NY Senator Gillebrand in her recent book described how shortly after they moved to the DC area her British husband Jonathan felt miserable stuck at home with the kids in the inner suburb of Arlington, VA, so they moved to Capitol Hill where she could be nearer work. He got a job in his finance field so now he's out of the house and working at something he enjoys.

Last edited by Dewey; Sep 25th 2014 at 2:59 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 10:08 pm
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their helpful responses. I really appreciate it!

I've taken on board the various opinions expressed here. My wife loves life in London too. She's a senior analyst at an investment bank (Morgan Stanley) and was offered a promotion back in NYC due to the size of their operation there. She was headhunted straight out of Harvard so her entire life post-21 has been focussed on her career. The idea of hitting a ceiling in London does cause her some anxiety.

I've explained that America isn't for me. She understood and agrees that what Europe offers in exchange for her career prospects more than makes up for it. I think we'll be staying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.