Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Mothers Day Report Card.

Mothers Day Report Card.

Old May 7th 2008, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mothers Day Report Card.

Save the Children have released its 2008 Mothers Day Report card.

In brief,
Sweden Was ranked the #1 country for mothers.
The UK was in 14 place.
The US ranked 27th (fell last years 26th place)
and the worst country was Niger.
Old May 7th 2008, 5:25 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mothers Day Report Card.

In 2006 the UK and the US were joint 10th place:

http://www.savethechildren.org/newsr...port-card.html
Old May 7th 2008, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

In 2006 the UK and the US were joint 10th place:

http://www.savethechildren.org/newsr...port-card.html
WOW, not so great for the UK to drop 4 places but for the US to fall 17 places
Old May 7th 2008, 5:35 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
WOW, not so great for the UK to drop 4 places but for the US to fall 17 places
If you look at things like health care costs, rates of uninsured people, no guarantee to paid (or unpaid) leave before/after birth.... I absolutely believe there are 26 countries that do it better than we do. I honestly believe that if it weren't for the generally high level of sanitation in the US, even among the poor, we'd see significant numbers of deaths.
Old May 7th 2008, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If you look at things like health care costs, rates of uninsured people, no guarantee to paid (or unpaid) leave before/after birth.... I absolutely believe there are 26 countries that do it better than we do. I honestly believe that if it weren't for the generally high level of sanitation in the US, even among the poor, we'd see significant numbers of deaths.
That is very true.

When I lived in the UK my cousins had quite a few kids and I baby sat a lot so I had a fair bit of experience with kids. When I had my first daughter I was discharged from the hospital after 2 days and told to see my GP in 2 weeks for her first check up. My sister has a 18 month old in the UK so of course when she was discharged she had the community mid wife calling then a health visitor. I do pity these young mum or any new mum for that matter, in the US, that has no real previous experience with kids.
Old May 7th 2008, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
That is very true.

When I lived in the UK my cousins had quite a few kids and I baby sat a lot so I had a fair bit of experience with kids. When I had my first daughter I was discharged from the hospital after 2 days and told to see my GP in 2 weeks for her first check up. My sister has a 18 month old in the UK so of course when she was discharged she had the community mid wife calling then a health visitor. I do pity these young mum or any new mum for that matter, in the US, that has no real previous experience with kids.
Lack of maternity leave must be a real worry in the US as well.

Reading snowbunny's link, conditions in the countries at the bottom of the list are food for thought
Old May 7th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Lack of maternity leave must be a real worry in the US as well.

Reading snowbunny's link, conditions in the countries at the bottom of the list are food for thought
True, I think people living in the westen world forget how lucky we really have it.
Old May 7th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

The Swedish system is great for mothers who stay at home. Not so great for the ones who want to work. And believe me they are paying for that system, they have even higher income taxes than The Netherlands and we were paying 55% there
But yes at the end of the day we have it much better than many around the world.