Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Mother's day good thing or a marketing con?

Mother's day good thing or a marketing con?

Old May 11th 2008, 1:54 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mother's day good thing or a marketing con?

Maybe its my old age making me cynical or my recent bombardment with ads (buy this diamond necklace for $200 for mothers day) or shows (Martha Stewart -as well as flowers and chocolates these gifts are good - among them a $500 camera ) - that is making me a bit 'anti' Mother's day.

Was it that long ago that a homemade card and breakfast in bed was enough then when older maybe a bunch of flowers and a card? Then it seemed taking your Mum out for lunch was expected then a bit nicer presents.

Will we including your Mum after years of being exposed to ads and 'buy this' shows, the more expensive presents will become expected? Is this a good thing - she deserves it? Or does it take away from the meaning of Mother's Day to just tell your Mum how you feel.

What do you do on Mother's day - a card, flowers or more?

And Happy US Mother's day to you Mums - just a simple message but a sincere one - bringing up children in this day and age is a tough task.
Old May 11th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother's day good thing or a marketing con?

I got a baby food jar full of colored sand and a card in which she had written the alphabet until R then got bored and given up...classic!
Past presents have included diamond jewellery but that was before she was old enough to make stuff herself and daddy was in charge!
I think holidays in general are way over the top in this country. If they can make a card for it they will. I mean Walgreens has an aisle permanently dedicated to holiday items. And it annoys me that there will not be a free table in any single restaurant for lunch today!
Old May 11th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

i think holidays in the US are ALL excuses for boosting sales and i think it is slowly eroding any value to the holidays themselves.

when i was young mothers day was a day to give mother a vacation. You'd handle ALL the daily tasks and bring her breakfast in bed, a small card accompanied by a well mannered kiss and hug.

these days an ipod or a cell phone is the "expected" level of gift.

This morning my kids and i spent 2 hours making cards for my wife... they are 4 & 5 and they thoroughly loved it. Now i'm off to make her the breakfast i know she misses from when we lived in LA.
Old May 11th 2008, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm cheap, but giving me a hug and saying Happy Mothers Day is enough for me. Not even a card or flowers.
Old May 11th 2008, 3:06 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just happy getting a lie in and a cup of coffee stuck under my nose to wake me up...

and of course my home-made card filled with hugs and kisses..

Things here are wayyyy over the top...I don't want a diamond necklace or the latest phone...I just want to watch silly films with my family and eat to much popcorn and chocolate...
Old May 11th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

No chance of a lie in here, if it's not the 4 year old alarm clock it's the one that says miaow!
Old May 11th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Marketing con - all hype and commerce.
For me - maybe a phone call from the kids but that's good anytime.
However for the MIL and the Mum it has to be a nice lunch/brunch and a card. I have finally figured out how to satisfy the MIL in the card department. Nothing subtle or arty - the biggest card, the cheesiest words, the most flowery picture = one happy old lady!
Old May 11th 2008, 3:18 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I hate the way they always use the line "show them how much you care" and then they show a diamond. Like that is a measure of how much you care...argghhh

They do it at Christmas too...they try to guilt men into thinking they HAVE to buy diamonds for their women

anyhoooo.....Happy American Mother's Day to the muvvers
Old May 11th 2008, 3:21 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one, was scared I was a skinflint rather than just being sensible

Now my OH wouldn't even get a card as he thinks all holidays (he will buy birthday + Christmas cards) are a hallmark conspiracy. His mum has that same mentality so don't worry!
(He is very generous to her money wise continually for the rest of the year so she doesn't care.)
Old May 11th 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

And then they are $79 necklaces - those are some cheap ass diamonds!
Old May 11th 2008, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
I know I'm cheap, but giving me a hug and saying Happy Mothers Day is enough for me. Not even a card or flowers.
No not cheap at all, thats how it should be, but I did get a home made fridge magnet & card which he gave me on Thursday after school because he couldn't wait till today
Old May 11th 2008, 3:49 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Maybe its my old age making me cynical or my recent bombardment with ads (buy this diamond necklace for $200 for mothers day) or shows (Martha Stewart -as well as flowers and chocolates these gifts are good - among them a $500 camera ) - that is making me a bit 'anti' Mother's day.

Was it that long ago that a homemade card and breakfast in bed was enough then when older maybe a bunch of flowers and a card? Then it seemed taking your Mum out for lunch was expected then a bit nicer presents.

Will we including your Mum after years of being exposed to ads and 'buy this' shows, the more expensive presents will become expected? Is this a good thing - she deserves it? Or does it take away from the meaning of Mother's Day to just tell your Mum how you feel.

What do you do on Mother's day - a card, flowers or more?

And Happy US Mother's day to you Mums - just a simple message but a sincere one - bringing up children in this day and age is a tough task.
I agree, people seem to be buying more and more expensive presents, its silly. To me it's the thought that counts. I'm over the moon with my card, my Madonna cd and a family trip to the movies.

Happy Mothers Day to all you mums out there.
Old May 11th 2008, 3:52 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
No not cheap at all, thats how it should be, but I did get a home made fridge magnet & card which he gave me on Thursday after school because he couldn't wait till today
Quite right.

I don't get the trouble and strife a card.
She isn't my Mother - its not appropriate.

She had three cards (one from the cat) and a nice bunch of flowers. When asked what she wanted mealwise - BBQ burgers and hot dogs with me doing all the business. Okeydoke.

But the big gift is a day doing sweet FA and me trying to keep house - hate wearing this bleedin pinny tho.
Old May 11th 2008, 3:56 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Quite right.

She had three cards (one from the cat) and a nice bunch of flowers. When asked what she wanted mealwise - BBQ burgers and hot dogs with me doing all the business. Okeydoke.

But the big gift is a day doing sweet FA and me trying to keep house - hate wearing this bleedin pinny tho.

Old May 11th 2008, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Quite right.

I'd be quite happy to settle for that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.