Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Most amazing thing about living in the USA?

Most amazing thing about living in the USA?

Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:55 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most amazing thing about living in the USA?

If you really want to go to Cuba, just threaten to blow up a public building. They'll even give you free room and (water)board.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:33 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
If you really want to go to Cuba, just threaten to blow up a public building. They'll even give you free room and (water)board.
Been. Fortunately there's the largest minefield in the western world to keep that enclave away from the rest of the island.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
.....is that you can take your kid to school, get cash from the atm, grab a frappacino, pick up a prescription, collect the dry cleaning and drop off the mail without having to get out of your car! Suits a lazy cow like me down to the ground
When they put in a drive thru pharmacy at our local store I remember thinking if the lazy gits got out and walked maybe they wouldn't need so many drugs.

The first time I had to have a prescription filled, it was blowing a blizzard out and the only availble parking spaces were the furthest from the store. My daughter was sick and had fallen asleep in the back... so yeap I went through the drive thru
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Oops, I forgot - there is just one other amazing (but deeply disturbing) thing about living in the USA ...

... cheese in a can ...
Is that worse than Velveeta?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:38 pm
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
For me........I noticed that everyone drives on the wrong side of the road

Jim.

That its socially acceptable for Harley Davidson riders not to have sensible exhaust pipe decible limits for their flatulence.

Actually on second thoughts, that fat,old people actually ride them and think they may be cool on badly engineered 1950s technology...
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:34 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kali-forniarrr
That its socially acceptable for Harley Davidson riders not to have sensible exhaust pipe decible limits for their flatulence.

Actually on second thoughts, that fat,old people actually ride them and think they may be cool on badly engineered 1950s technology...
You possess quite a pleasing eloquent manner of the written word, I'll give you that...

---
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
American citizens can be fined, but not deported. Anyone else can be removed from the US.

The Cuba embargo applies to anyone under US jurisdiction. Right, wrong or indifferent, it's not just for USCs and Green Card holders.
It would be an embarrassing thing to explain to your boss, that you can't come back from vac.. er holiday because you're back in the UK after your jaunt to Cuba.

I love travel and can't wait for my own visit to Cuba, but there's a million and one other places to go besides Cuba if it's going to negatively impact your immigration future.
Oh yeah im aware of all the restrictions and you were right to bring them up but I havent even started my immigration process, for me there was no hesitation in visiting Cuba.

I was actually quite shocked at the number of Americans in Cuba but I guess for them the experience of visiting such a great place outweighed the risk of getting caught and fined. It musta been the lure of cheap rum, cuban coffee and cigars!

Thanks for highlighting the risks though! Such a shame that some people will not get to experience this fantastic country.

Kim
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Kim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really nice

Oh and keeping with the thread, the most amazing thing about living in the USA will be......................my incredible man!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:12 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Where on earth do you live, and do you think that the whole of the US is like that..or indeed the whole of the UK is like that?
seems pretty accurate on Surrey to Ohio too!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:02 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Where on earth do you live, and do you think that the whole of the US is like that..or indeed the whole of the UK is like that?
Thats it for me. Well said. There is NO best country in the world!!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:27 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

the "affordable" house prices..(in my state anyway)
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lisag8070
the "affordable" house prices..(in my state anyway)
granted it is cheaper here.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Didn't think you could if you are a USC or GC holder.
You can travel direct if your a US citizen that got it via swimming over from cuba...restricted to how often though.

Also if your a journo it's pretty easy getting a visa.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim_Abdn
Its great! I was there in March for my friends wedding and i want to go back again right now!!

Oh and there was also quite a lot of american college girls there on spring break who flew via mexico which wasnt a problem for them as the cubans dont stamp passports. Those girls were treated like royalty by the cubans.

Kim
A mate of mine, girlfriend went with a couple friends of hers to Cuba for a friends wedding, they were USC's, person in Cuba was a Canadian friend.

They had a great time till they got pulled in at the Mexican border, held for 8 hours of questions before being fined.