Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Misinformation on ex-pats groups

Misinformation on ex-pats groups

Old Aug 10th 2015, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Misinformation on ex-pats groups

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Good luck!

ou might also find this useful - on a laptop/pc,go to your own timeline page (not the home/newsfeed, but the your own home page). Above your updates you will see a box that says VIEW ACTIVITY LOG, and next to it a small box with a drop down menu.One option on that menu is VIEW AS......
Click on that and you will find a box appears at the top of your page, into which you can type the name of any one of your friends. You then get the ability to view your page as if you were that friend - so if you have posted things viewable only by a certain list of people, and that friend isn't on the list, you wll see that those posts are no longer visible.
Good way of ensuring that stuff is only viewable by selected people
Wow! that's amazing. I'm an IT tech guy, and I always like to test my understanding of how something works, so this is exactly what I need!
Old Aug 10th 2015, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I just tried your technique and it worked great! Thanks!

I viewed my timeline as 'public' and it seems all my posts up until about 4 months ago are public, and since then, are only visible to friends. Is there a way to go and modify those old posts to make them not public? The only option that seemed close was 'remove from timeline' which seems too extreme.

UPDATE - I see that I can edit a post; and one of the things I can change is the 'who can see' setting, so maybe that's the one. If I edit a post from, say, 2014, though, will it re-pop up to the top of any pages, due to being edited? I guess I could test that by editing an innocuous post ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 10th 2015 at 5:14 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
If I edit a post from, say, 2014, though, will it re-pop up to the top of any pages, due to being edited?
It might or it might not - the algorithms and heuristics for determining exactly what gets displayed and in what order are complicated and constantly changing, and everyone ends up with a slightly different view.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 11:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just tried your technique and it worked great! Thanks!

I viewed my timeline as 'public' and it seems all my posts up until about 4 months ago are public, and since then, are only visible to friends. Is there a way to go and modify those old posts to make them not public? The only option that seemed close was 'remove from timeline' which seems too extreme.

UPDATE - I see that I can edit a post; and one of the things I can change is the 'who can see' setting, so maybe that's the one. If I edit a post from, say, 2014, though, will it re-pop up to the top of any pages, due to being edited? I guess I could test that by editing an innocuous post ...
Glad it helped

I don't think it'll pop up, especially if all you change is the 'Who can see' setting, I've done it with some of my old stuff and its not bumped them up, but I won't guarantee it.........
Old Aug 11th 2015, 1:33 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
It might or it might not - the algorithms and heuristics for determining exactly what gets displayed and in what order are complicated and constantly changing, and everyone ends up with a slightly different view.
Not just diiferent views for different people, but different views for the same person on different devices. The feed of posts I see differs between my desktop PC & my tablet, which can be very frustrating when I know I have seen a posting, but can't find it.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 3:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Which is exactly why I have very little to do with Farcebook, I could never be comfortable with who can see what. I don't believe I have posted more than once or twice in the past couple of years, and probably only a couple of dozen times ever.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

It's basically a data collection site - I had a profile up as my cat when I was spying on my daughter in high school. I should really get rid of it.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 3:17 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
It's basically a data collection site - I had a profile up as my cat when I was spying on my daughter in high school. I should really get rid of it.
oooh!!!
Do you think it will work with college kid studying Comp Sci

I know, I'll turn myself into a good looking, super clever math geek
Old Aug 11th 2015, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
oooh!!!
Do you think it will work with college kid studying Comp Sci

I know, I'll turn myself into a good looking, super clever math geek
ha ha! She knew it was me and a condition of being on FB was she had to friend the cat and not block the cat on anything......
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:20 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha! She knew it was me and a condition of being on FB was she had to friend the cat and not block the cat on anything......
I was spying on my nephew, worked great on tracking him down when he would run away. (along with pretending to be the electricity company to get an address on the phone). Anyway, I friended a bunch of his friends to make my fake account look legit. Shocking how many of them just accepted friend requests from someone they did not know. Surprising what they would post too. .......and the things that would stay up for a day or two before they realized how incriminating (actually incriminating) it was. Then there was all the made up crap from my nephew, like he was living a fantasy life.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Shocking how many of them just accepted friend requests from someone they did not know.
Indeed.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

How would you know if she did?
Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Asking on an internet forum is a bit like going down to the Saloon Bar at the Saracen's Head and asking for expert advice. "What can you tell me about tax liability for non-domiciled Singaporean citizens working offshore in Utter Slobodistan ?"

Some "expert" will tell you. Be careful what you do with the answer !
Old Aug 11th 2015, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anian
How would you know if she did?
Looking over her shoulder on her own profile to make sure the cat friend profile could see everything. Otherwise I wouldn't know.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my kid have bother UK and US passports, which should I use when, when travelling from US to UK and back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.