British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Mid-terms - hold my nose and tick the box? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/mid-terms-hold-my-nose-tick-box-945893/)

nettlebed Oct 24th 2022 5:55 pm

Mid-terms - hold my nose and tick the box?

I'm finding it harder and harder to vote in any other than local races. I guess voting for Patty Murray as US Senator in WA is not THAT tough, but others? I find it really, really hard.

BTW, The last time I posted here was in 2014, but with retirement coming up in December next year, I'm rekindling a whole buncha stuff. Is Meauxna still around?

Jerseygirl Oct 24th 2022 6:48 pm

Re: Mid-terms - hold my nose and tick the box?

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 13150106)
I'm finding it harder and harder to vote in any other than local races. I guess voting for Patty Murray as US Senator in WA is not THAT tough, but others? I find it really, really hard.

BTW, The last time I posted here was in 2014, but with retirement coming up in December next year, I'm rekindling a whole buncha stuff. Is Meauxna still around?

Welcome back. :wave:

Meauxna hasn’t been around since 2011. Doesn’t time fly? :blink:

nettlebed Oct 24th 2022 7:38 pm

Glad to see you've changed neither you .sig nor your avatar :p

Jerseygirl Oct 24th 2022 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 13150132)
Glad to see you've changed neither you .sig nor your avatar :p

Ray found the dancing mouse shortly after I joined. Sadly Ray is no longer with us. 😢

BEVS Oct 24th 2022 9:17 pm

Meauxna no longer looks or posts to BE - period.
I am able to say that she is hale, hearty and very very happy.

nettlebed Oct 25th 2022 12:21 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 13150144)
Meauxna no longer looks or posts to BE - period.
I am able to say that she is hale, hearty and very very happy.

That's good to know - my wife and I had lunch with her and hubby in Portland over a decade ago, but pretty much zero contact since then.

I take from your message that you are in contact with her - would you be so kind as to pass on my best regards?

BEVS Oct 25th 2022 1:47 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 13150160)
That's good to know - my wife and I had lunch with her and hubby in Portland over a decade ago, but pretty much zero contact since then.

I take from your message that you are in contact with her - would you be so kind as to pass on my best regards?

I would be happy to. We don't ever talk BE anything as it is long gone , so inbox me your actual name(s). I will lift the block for a wee while.

M

robin1234 Oct 25th 2022 12:11 pm

What is your hesitation about voting for Patty Murray? I live in New York and I’m not familiar with Washington politics. But in general I think it’s important to try to support our electoral systems and US democracy, and the best way to do that is to have a high turnout in national races, such as senate races.

Anian Oct 25th 2022 1:53 pm

Patty Murray's opponent is just ridiculous, so it is easy to vote for Murray this year. Tiffany Smiley has almost no policies on anything, she keeps going on about local crime while running for national congress, if you didn't know her husband is blind she'll tell you in the next ten seconds (and then he'll talk over her). It's only in the last week that Smiley admitted that Biden is the president, but don't ask her about January 6th or she'll burst into tears to avoid any questions.
Kim Shrier is a decent candidate, and her opponent Matt Larkin has done nothing but attack her so I only know about his policies based on adverts against him. All I know is that he is a pro-life man with an absurdly large kitchen.

The lack of a solid platform from the Republicans in this area tells me everything I need to know - they don't have one because it's going to be whatever Trump says next.

nettlebed Oct 25th 2022 2:09 pm

The reason I have problems voting for Murray is my utter, utter loathing of the democratic party. Of all the Senators about whom I know more than the name, she is probably one of the best, but that "Prefers..." sticks in my craw.

As Anian states, Smiley is a Trump glove puppet.

Cascadia now!

Jack_Russells4ever Oct 25th 2022 3:39 pm

Voting for any politician is an exercise in futility, NOT one of them is worthy of expending the effort from any nation or political party. Everyone of them is a snake in the grass. If voting mattered it would be outlawed.

robin1234 Oct 25th 2022 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 13150294)
The reason I have problems voting for Murray is my utter, utter loathing of the democratic party. Of all the Senators about whom I know more than the name, she is probably one of the best, but that "Prefers..." sticks in my craw.

As Anian states, Smiley is a Trump glove puppet.

Cascadia now!

1. Hmm seems like you have quite strong feelings about the Democratic Party. What is your problem with them? I think they’re a bit ineffectual & wishy washy, but they are a broad church or big tent and need to accommodate widely divergent views.

2. What is your reference to “Prefers…” Is that a Patty Murray thing??

robin1234 Oct 25th 2022 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 13150317)
Voting for any politician is an exercise in futility, NOT one of them is worthy of expending the effort from any nation or political party. Everyone of them is a snake in the grass. If voting mattered it would be outlawed.

Really? So, you feel it makes no difference if the US House and/or Senate is Republican or Democratic controlled come January?

nettlebed Oct 25th 2022 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 13150331)
1. Hmm seems like you have quite strong feelings about the Democratic Party. What is your problem with them? I think they’re a bit ineffectual & wishy washy, but they are a broad church or big tent and need to accommodate widely divergent views.

2. What is your reference to “Prefers…” Is that a Patty Murray thing??

1. The dems have sold everyone apart from the PMC* and the elites down the river, and the PMC are only there in order to bolster and distract from the elites.

2. In WA candidates for partisan office have a label on the ballot saying "Prefers Democratic Party" or "Prefers Republican Party" or whatever.

* PMC - Professional/Managerial Class: a term coined by Barbara Ehrenreich (RIP). Any simple search will give you LOTS of information about this phenomenon. Public libraries are generally well stocked with her books. Also, the Naked Capitalism web site has a lot of discussion related to PMC.

robin1234 Oct 25th 2022 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 13150337)
1. The dems have sold everyone apart from the PMC* and the elites down the river, and the PMC are only there in order to bolster and distract from the elites.

2. In WA candidates for partisan office have a label on the ballot saying "Prefers Democratic Party" or "Prefers Republican Party" or whatever.

* PMC - Professional/Managerial Class: a term coined by Barbara Ehrenreich (RIP). Any simple search will give you LOTS of information about this phenomenon. Public libraries are generally well stocked with her books. Also, the Naked Capitalism web site has a lot of discussion related to PMC.

Yes I pretty familiar with Ehrenreich and her books. Nickel and Dimed was particularly good, and I think that one book had a tremendous impact.