Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Micheal Winner refuses an O.B.E

Micheal Winner refuses an O.B.E

Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:47 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Micheal Winner refuses an O.B.E

He claims that these awards are being given out to just about anyone these days and have lost their prestige....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5024336.stm

personally, I agree but I am more concerned with knighthoods than C.B.E's and O.B.E's.
The tradition of knighthoods started with them being given for gallantry and bravery in battle ...."Knight"hood. Now a raving tiara wearing queen that plays the piano and yaks on Parkinson about shaving his balls get's one....then a Scouse bloke that married a one legged ex hooker gets one for writing tunes with such awe inspiring lyrics as...."She loves me yeah yeah yeah" and "obli di obla f**king da". It's made the whole "Knighthood" thing a pathetic joke.

They should save them for servicemen.....not poncy overpaid self important bloody musicians and artists and as a golden handshake for politicians.

Makes me sick.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:52 am
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Micheal Winner refuses an O.B.E

Originally Posted by rushman
Makes me sick.
Me too. To think that someone thought Michael Winner deserved an OBE.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:56 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Well at least my mum's recent CBE trumps the vile Winner's rejected OBE!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 2:59 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
Me too. To think that someone thought Michael Winner deserved an OBE.
Me too, but then that's exactly my point. Then again maybe even Micheal Winner realises he's a complete **** and doesn't warrant one?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:05 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Me too, but then that's exactly my point. Then again maybe even Micheal Winner realises he's a complete **** and doesn't warrant one?
It was reported that, far from not warranting an OBE, Winner was furious that he didn't get a Knighthood.

In fact, there's another BBC article about that somewhere. Something about loudly denying that he'd asked the Queen "did you bring your sword, dear?" when he met her.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

He claims that these awards are being given out to just about anyone these days and have lost their prestige....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5024336.stm

personally, I agree but I am more concerned with knighthoods than C.B.E's and O.B.E's.
The tradition of knighthoods started with them being given for gallantry and bravery in battle ...."Knight"hood. Now a raving tiara wearing queen that plays the piano and yaks on Parkinson about shaving his balls get's one....then a Scouse bloke that married a one legged ex hooker gets one for writing tunes with such awe inspiring lyrics as...."She loves me yeah yeah yeah" and "obli di obla f**king da". It's made the whole "Knighthood" thing a pathetic joke.

They should save them for servicemen.....not poncy overpaid self important bloody musicians and artists and as a golden handshake for politicians.

Makes me sick.
Gotta agree with you there. Lady Muck Macca....plse. Although I read that she said she does not want to keep the title...she shouldn't have had it in the first place.

Does that count as another plus for living in the US?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbj1000
It was reported that, far from not warranting an OBE, Winner was furious that he didn't get a Knighthood.

In fact, there's another BBC article about that somewhere. Something about loudly denying that he'd asked the Queen "did you bring your sword, dear?" when he met her.
See what I mean? A Knighthood for Micheal Winner?? For what?? Making a few crap films and some even dumber insurance commercials.....or just having the kind of fat smug face and attitude that makes you just want to punch him and break his nose?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

kev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud of

See what I mean? A Knighthood for Micheal Winner?? For what?? Making a few crap films and some even dumber insurance commercials.....or just having the kind of fat smug face and attitude that makes you just want to punch him and break his nose?
'Calm down dear, it's only a commercial!'
Yep, worthy of an OBE in my book
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:15 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Does that count as another plus for living in the US?
Yes I think so
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:20 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all you said, his commercials were really crap, used to put the mute on when I saw his ugly mug....