Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Wikiposts

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:17 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Originally Posted by HighCountry
Merry Christmas for me. I don't mean anything by it other than "have a good time". If people want to use a different greeting, I take it in the spirit it was intended.
Right - it's not like Merry Christmas carries a caveat of 'but have a shite ---' with it
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:20 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

So far this year, when someone has said "Merry Christmas" to me, I haven't really been able to respond with anything but "Thank you". So far that seems to suffice, even in the case of an obnoxious Salvation Army bell ringer the other day. It went something like this: "Merry Christmas!" "Thank you!" (glare from bell ringer, then, a little louder) "Merry Christmas!" "Uh, thank you." "What's the matter, don't you believe in Christmas?" (me, politely) "Thank you, nothing's the matter." "Everyone believes in Christmas!" (me, a little more frosty) "Oh, OK." At that he gave up and started harassing someone else.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 7:32 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
So far this year, when someone has said "Merry Christmas" to me, I haven't really been able to respond with anything but "Thank you". So far that seems to suffice, even in the case of an obnoxious Salvation Army bell ringer the other day. It went something like this: "Merry Christmas!" "Thank you!" (glare from bell ringer, then, a little louder) "Merry Christmas!" "Uh, thank you." "What's the matter, don't you believe in Christmas?" (me, politely) "Thank you, nothing's the matter." "Everyone believes in Christmas!" (me, a little more frosty) "Oh, OK." At that he gave up and started harassing someone else.
Merry Christmas!

Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The start of winter ? Surely 21 Dec is MIDWINTER. The solstice marks the middle of the season.
Ahem...

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
What we in the Northern Hemisphere call the winter solstice is an astronomical event - it's the day of the year that has the shortest period of daylight and the sun is at it's lowest point on the horizon. Nothing to do with when the meteorological period of winter starts and ends. The two shouldn't be conflated.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:09 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Merry Christmas!

Thank you!
Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:12 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Thank you!